Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waratahs coach Daryl Gibson set to throw former All Black Zac Guildford a lifeline

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Waratahs coach Daryl Gibson set to throw former All Black Zac Guildford a lifeline

Iain Payten
    The Daily Telegraph
    July 28, 2015 7:00PM

WARATAHS coach Daryl Gibson is set to throw a lifeline to Kiwi wing Zac Guildford by signing the troubled former All Black as a marquee import for next season.

Guildford, 26, played 11 Tests for New Zealand between 2009 and 2012 and the speedster was a member of the All Blacks’ World Cup winning squad in 2011.

Guildford played under Gibson at the Crusaders before leaving behind a turbulent career in New Zealand and joining French club Clermont Auvrgene midway through 2014.

After seeking an early release from the Top 14 club to return home in May, however, Gibson reconnected with his former charge and it is understood terms have been agreed for Guildford to join the Tahs. Contracts are yet to be finalised.

Recruiting Guildford for his first Tahs squad is a major roll of the dice for Gibson, with the youngster bearing a long history of trouble with alcohol.

Guildford admitted in 2013 he was an alcoholic after a drunken assault at a party saw him enter a rehab facility to deal with longstanding issues on the booze.

Guildford’s contrition and confrontation of his problems helped him narrowly avoid the sack by the New Zealand Rugby Union, who were fed up after years of alcohol-related incidents.

The most notorious moment came in a few weeks after the Kiwi’s 2011 World Cup win when Guildford was arrested after storming naked into a bar in Rarotonga, in the Cook Islands. Extremely drunk after a friend’s wedding and bleeding from a cut on his forehead, Guildford punched two men in the bar before climbing onto the bar’s stage.

Guildford had twice broken curfew to drink heavily after All Blacks Tests that same year.

Despite a pledge to not drink after Rarotonga, Guildford’s struggle with alcohol continued through to the 2013 incident and a month in rehab, after which he conceded he had an “addictive tendencies”.

‘‘If you asked me this time last year while I was still in denial I guess it would have been. But now I’ve been away, I’ve seen the experts and had help. I have a great acceptance of who I am,’’ Guildford said at the time.

‘‘My understanding was limited around alcoholism and the issue I had. That’s the first step admitting I was powerless over alcohol and once I realised that everything became a bit easier.’’

Guildford parted ways with the Crusaders last year after failing to crack a starting spot and took up a contract with Clermont. He sought a release two months ago to return home and be closer to his family and support networks.

Gibson was always a trusted mentor for Guildford and their close relationship will no doubt be crucial. Not just for keeping Guildford on the rails amid the many temptations of Sydney but also to rediscover the brilliant talent that saw him once rated as among world rugby’s most promising young players.

Blessed with incredible speed and a jittery step, Guildford debuted for Hawkes Bay in the NPC at the tender age of 18 in 2007, made his Super Rugby debut for the Hurricanes the next year and in 2009 earned a first Test cap for the All Blacks.

He won a gold medal in the New Zealand sevens team in 2010 and played Tests for the All Blacks through to 2012.

Joining the Waratahs and a backline containing Israel Folau, Kurtley Beale and Bernard Foley could be the spark to see Guildford recapture his best form.

With his past New Zealand options were limited for Guildford but his connection to Gibson, and NSW losing wings Peter Betham and Taqele Naiyaravoro to overseas, has provided a chance to start afresh in Sydney.

Guildford will take the foreign marquee slot held by Jacques Potgieter for the past two years.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1227460695740

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    He could share a house with Kurtley........

No seriously. I understand the reason for signing him, the Waratahs were faced with the very real possibility of having to name a team with fewer than 23 internationals next year.....a necessary signing in their assessment.

C'mon the

vCash
    Wasn't Folau taking Potgieter's marquee spot? Didn't they announce that this was how they were getting Folau's contract to fit under the salary cap? (See here: http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=36758)

I wasn't aware that the ARU had granted the Waratahs two marquee spots.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    I wasn't aware that the ARU had granted the Waratahs two marquee spots.
    Just wait five minutes, once somebody in the ARU notices the discrepancy they'll issue another marquee spot immediately "in the interests of maintaining a level playing field"

C'mon the

vCash
    Folau doesn't fit the new terms of the Marquee contract anyway because he certainly isn't an overseas Wallaby unless they've worked that into the flexible contract to justify it and he isn't being signed from a rival code either given he was signed from the AFL 3 years ago.

As a fan of a different side in Australia it is enough to feel disillusioned when the governing body of the sport continues to thumb it's nose at it's own rule book. Great sign for NSW to send Aussie based players in the Shute Shield as well.

I can only imagine the Tahs might have got him at a bargain price given his behaviour before heading north.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Folau doesn't fit the new terms of the Marquee contract anyway because he certainly isn't an overseas Wallaby unless they've worked that into the flexible contract to justify it and he isn't being signed from a rival code either given he was signed from the AFL 3 years ago.
    Georgina Robinson's article stated that the Tahs used a loophole to sign Folau as a marquee, and it'll be closed for next year where only Test-capped foreign players can be named as marquees.

vCash
    I read the same article.

The move would not have been possible last year, when the $150,000 marquee-player clause will be applied only to Test-capped foreign players. From next year, the ARU will allow Australia's five Super Rugby teams to use the clause in two more scenarios: if they are bringing home an overseas-based Wallaby, or recruiting a player from another code.

It is the latter under which the Waratahs are writing off the bulk of Folau's considerable price tag, even though he was recruited from AFL three years ago and will be on his third contract in rugby next year.
    So by apparently allocating the money under the "signed from another code" clause even though he's been with Rugby for 3 seasons and is an established Wallaby. I fail to see how that's a loophole, the ARU are just turning a blind eye to their rule book while the Waratahs mouthpieces spin their shit to defend it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    the ARU are just turning a blind eye to their rule book while the Waratahs mouthpieces spin their shit to defend it.
    Groundhog Day.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    The full interview from young Zac

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/on-deman...aratahs-bound/

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Iain Payten ‏@iainpayten · 3m3 minutes ago
    NZ reports saying Zac Guilford has pulled out of the Waratahs deal, saying he has had a "re-think". Likely to sign with a Kiwi team

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    NZ reports saying Zac Guilford has pulled out of the Waratahs deal, saying he has had a "re-think". Likely to sign with a Kiwi team
    Is their jersey red?

Do they have an awesome team song?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    According to this: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...h-nsw-waratahs Guildford has signed with the Tahs

vCash
    The interesting thing there is that he has been mentioned as a replacement for Taqele Naiyaravoro.

I was under the impression the fact that he was warehoused - sorry I mean capped - for the wallabies against the eagles that the deal he signed with Glasgow was void
    So are we now to assume that Naiyaravoro isnt going back to the tahs, but doesnt have a job with the Warriors.

Do we need a 194cm 123 kilo 23 year old winger to replace Cummins? Mind you if he stays in australia i'm all but certain he will remain in NSW.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Do we need a 194cm 123 kilo 23 year old winger to replace Cummins? Mind you if he stays in australia i'm all but certain he will remain in NSW.
    Not really, Cummins had about the same number of touches and I wasn't impressed with his season either.

C'mon the

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast