Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force to sign former Springbok Grant

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force to sign former Springbok Grant

Nick Taylor July 29, 2015, 7:42 am

Western Force are expected to sign former South African fly-half Peter Grant for the next two Super Rugby seasons this week.

The playmaker, who has scored almost 1600 points in 200 games for the Stormers, Western Province, Kobe Steel and La Rochelle will bring much-needed experience to the Force back line.

He scored 866 of those points, mostly with his pinpoint kicking, in 104 Super Rugby matches for the Cape Town-based Stormers.

Grant, 30, won the first of his five Springbok caps at 23 and was tipped to make the No.10 jumper his own in 2007 and 2008 until he was hampered by a shoulder injury.

He will join two other new signings — seven-Test Wallabies centre Ben Tapuai from the Reds and Jono Lance from the Waratahs — as coach Michael Foley looks to build a new attacking back line and adds to the talent of players like Kyle Godwin and Dane Haylett-Petty.

Grant, whose parents and other relatives live in Perth, left La Rochelle left last month for family reasons with a year left to run on his contract.

The Force first tried to sign him as a replacement for Matt Giteau six years ago.

He replaces another South African, Sias Ebersohn, who was released to return to the Bloemfontein-based Cheetahs while Grant has been replaced at La Rochelle by another Force fly-half, Zack Holmes.

Grant will sign as a marquee player and the Force are expected to resolve the contract issues of South African second-rower Wilhelm Steenkamp, who wants to move to French club Brive.

His leaving would mean Foley needs to recruit at least one new second-rower, having already lost Sam Wykes to Japanese club Coca-Cola Red Sparks.

Announcements on other players, including hooker Heath Tessman, winger Luke Morahan, scrum-half Ian Prior, flanker Brynard Stander and centre Marcel Brache are expected next month.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...mer-springbok/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Hopefully he hasn't lost his "pinpoint kicking" and can show the rest of the squad how it's done.
    If we nail place kicking - IE actually find touch or space instead of the man - and can get > 80% at the posts we'll be much better placed than we have been these last few years

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    and may be he can teach the other squad members i.e. Kyle and Luke how it's done.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I know (because it has already happened) that some on here will bemoan this as another journeyman retirement signing, but there are some genuine positives to come out of signing Peter Grant.
    1 He's massively experienced, which our current flyhalves aren't
    2 He is an excellent kicker both out of hand and for post, which our current flyhalves weren't
    3 He's a bulldog in defense, which our current flyhalves weren't.

Can he play an open, exciting, ball-in-hand style of rugby like the fans want? I don't think anybody knows, but I'd take the three points mentioned above as positives and take the risk on the latter, since we're seriously short on drawing power.

Will he play to his potential or run a Gits and Drew strategy of collecting a paycheck for minimal effort? nobody knows, but the same could be said for any bigger name signing that we make. Sure there are better flyhalves in the World, whether we are any sort of chance of getting them would be the real question to be answered.

I'm gonna give it two thumbs up for now and hope that the risk pays off (for once)

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I know (because it has already happened) that some on here will bemoan this as another journeyman retirement signing, but there are some genuine positives to come out of signing Peter Grant.
    1 He's massively experienced, which our current flyhalves aren't
    2 He is an excellent kicker both out of hand and for post, which our current flyhalves weren't
    3 He's a bulldog in defense, which our current flyhalves weren't.

Can he play an open, exciting, ball-in-hand style of rugby like the fans want? I don't think anybody knows, but I'd take the three points mentioned above as positives and take the risk on the latter, since we're seriously short on drawing power.

Will he play to his potential or run a Gits and Drew strategy of collecting a paycheck for minimal effort? nobody knows, but the same could be said for any bigger name signing that we make. Sure there are better flyhalves in the World, whether we are any sort of chance of getting them would be the real question to be answered.

I'm gonna give it two thumbs up for now and hope that the risk pays off (for once)
    No Risk, No reward.

Grant still has 4-5 good years in him, he could have gone to Toulon (heard they might be in need of a flyhalf) but he chose to stay in Super Rugby. He knows the requirements of the position & hasn't seemed to shirk them thus far.

I'm looking forward to watching him run out next year let me tell you that much

vCash
    I think his experience is exactly what we need right now - he will be an awesome mentor for our young guns. I think it's a good signing for that alone.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Wednesday, 29 July 2015

VETERAN GRANT BRINGS 10 YEARS’ EXPERIENCE TO FORCE

The Western Force will add more than 10 seasons of elite rugby experience to its young backline in 2016 following the signing of former Stormers and Springboks flyhalf Peter Grant, for 2 seasons.

Durban-born Grant, 30, has played 104 matches of Asteron Life Super Rugby for the Cape Town-based Stormers and currently sits seventh in the tournament’s all-time scorers list with 866 points.

Having represented the Stormers for nine seasons at the top provincial level, the five Test Springbok, nicknamed ‘Bash’, most recently played a season with French Top 14 club, La Rochelle, having also played four seasons with Japanese Top League club, the Kobelco Steelers.

Head Coach Michael Foley says Grant’s signing is a significant one in the side’s preparation for success.

“Our priority was adding experience to complement the talented young players in our backline, and with the recruitment of Ben (Tapuai), Jono (Lance) and now Peter (Grant), we believe we’ve moved strongly in that direction,” he said.

“Peter’s played a key position for nine seasons of Super Rugby, as well as a number of seasons in Japan and France. When you combine that with his time spent with the Springboks, it equates to a player that not only has a wealth of experience in playing the game, but also has the ability to lead players around him.

“Most importantly he brings calmness in decision making, an eagerness to take the defence on when we attack and a consistency in goal kicking.

“One of Peter’s key tasks will be to mentor and develop our young flyhalves, as well as the other young players within our backline.”

Grant, whose parents and two uncles live in Perth, says he’s excited about continuing his rugby with the Western Force.

“I'm very excited and looking forward to the move immensely. I've obviously got a lot of family there with two of my uncles living in Perth, one of them for over 30 years, and my parents as well, so that's a big draw card, but I love the lifestyle of Australia, particularly in Perth.”

With over a hundred Stormers caps to his name, Grant knows the role he needs to play in the team and is looking forward to being back in the Super Rugby competition.

“I feel like I have a lot to offer to the younger players, especially playing a mentoring role. Giving them a little bit of advice here and there, which is similar to what players did for me in my career.

“I’m really looking forward to being a part of building the Western Force, because I know there’s a lot of talent there and I really feel I can help Michael and the coaching staff develop that talent.”

Name: Peter Grant
    Born: 15/08/1984, Durban (South Africa)
    Position: Flyhalf
    Height: 186cm
    Weight: 92kg
    Super Rugby caps: 104
    Super Rugby points: 886 (11 tries, 126 cons, 188 pens)
    Super Rugby debut: 2006 (Stormers) v Cats, Johannesburg
    Test caps: 5
    Test points: 0
    Test debut: 2007 (South Africa) v Australia, Sydney
    Representative Rugby: 2007-2008 Springboks, 2007 Emerging Springboks, 2006-2014 Stormers, 2003 South African Under 19, 2002 South African Schoolboys

vCash
    Lekker, man

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Welcome Peter!

vCash
    Great News, welcome on board

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Force sign former Springbok Peter Grant

Justin Chadwick
    July 29, 2015, 2:03 pm

It's taken them six years to get the deal done, but the Western Force have finally lured former Springboks flyhalf Peter Grant their way.

The Force have been on the lookout for a new marquee No.10 since parting ways with Sias Ebersohn, who has rejoined the Cheetahs.

Grant's arrival on a two-season deal adds much-needed experience to the Force's fledgling backline.

The 30-year-old notched 104 Super Rugby appearances with the Stormers, with his 866 points placing him seventh on the competition's all-time scorers' list.

The Force first tried to lure Grant their way at the end of 2009 to replace Matt Giteau.

Although they were unsuccessful then, the Force were able to snare Grant this time.

Grant said the fact his parents and two uncles lived in Perth was a major drawcard for him coming.

The five-Test playmaker, whose nickname is Bash, recently spent a season with French Top 14 club La Rochelle.

He also played four seasons with Japanese Top League club the Kobelco Steelers.

Grant joins Wallabies centre Ben Tapuai and Jono Lance as new signings at the Force.

"Our priority was adding experience to complement the talented young players in our backline," Force coach Michael Foley said.

"Peter's played a key position for nine seasons of Super Rugby, as well as a number of seasons in Japan and France.

"When you combine that with his time spent with the Springboks, it equates to a player that not only has a wealth of experience in playing the game, but also has the ability to lead players around him.

"Most importantly, he brings calmness in decision making, an eagerness to take the defence on when we attack and a consistency in goalkicking."

The Force finished last on the Super table in 2015 after managing just three wins from 16 games.

Grant knows he'll take on a big responsibility at the Force, both on and off the field.

"I feel like I have a lot to offer to the younger players, especially playing a mentoring role," Grant said.

"Giving them a little bit of advice here and there, which is similar to what players did for me in my career."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...k-peter-grant/

vCash
    We've got a kicker at long last! Jo will be happy!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    A year-old photo of Peter Grant.

Attachment 3946

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    We've got a kicker at long last! Jo will be happy!
    We've had kicker's before.

They just weren't very good...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
    A year-old photo of Peter Grant.

Attachment 3946
    And here's a 31 year-old photo of Peter Grant.

Name:  8-month-fetus-model-with-pl.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  76.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast