Thread: Queensland Reds to target France international Frederic Michalak to replace QC

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Queensland Reds to target France international Frederic Michalak to replace QC

Jim Tucker
    The Courier-Mail
    July 20, 2015 7:12PM

FRENCH gun-for-hire Frederic Michalak is a potential target for the Queensland Reds as they search the world for an experienced flyhalf to replace Quade Cooper next year.

Monday’s announcement that former All Blacks backrower Adam Thomson is leaving the Reds to take up a one-year deal with the go-ahead Melbourne Rebels is the certain sign the club is hunting for an import to play No. 10.

With Wallaby Cooper seemingly set on a contract course to pursue rugby sevens and a shot at the Olympics next year in Rio de Janeiro, the Reds are desperate to find an experienced playmaker to fill the void.

Thomson, 33, ably filled the marquee import slot for the Reds during their recent poor season but with only one allowed there was no room if the Reds set a course to find a new No. 10.

If the Reds are to re-enter negotiations with Cooper, as they should, to rejoin his long-time club for the 2017 season, a one-season solution for next year at flyhalf is needed.

A proven five-eighth like Michalak is needed and his name has been discussed in Reds circles.

The 71-Test veteran has an Australian wife which makes the potential for a Super Rugby season in Queensland more appealing and he has a track record of adventuring with previous stints for the Sharks (2008 and 2011-12) in South Africa.

Michalak is in the French squad for the Rugby World Cup as a versatile flyhalf-halfback option but has wriggle room after the tournament to leave French giants Toulon where he plays with Wallabies Matt Giteau and Drew Mitchell.

South Africa’s former Springbok flyhalf Peter Grant is on the open market but he is a kick-first type strongly linked with joining the Western Force.

Former Wallaby flyhalf Berrick Barnes was sounded out at his Japanese club early in the year about the possibility of acting as a short-term fill-in when Cooper was injured in the pre-season but the Reds have made no recent contact.

The Reds are hamstrung on signing a flyhalf because of the drawn-out top-to-bottom review of Reds operations which still leaves the future of coach Richard Graham in limbo five weeks after the end of the team’s dire four-win season.

It would be ridiculous to sign an overseas flyhalf who didn’t fit the head coach’s attacking ideas, which is the frustrating picture because no call has been made on Graham or a possible successor like Matt O’Connor.

Youngster Jake McIntyre is a fine back-up flyhalf to keep developing but the Reds need some bang at No. 10 to organise the show post-Cooper.

The Reds were keen, at one point, to keep the productive Thomson for next season but the shift on Quade Cooper’s future dictated otherwise.

The Rebels are on a winner with Thomson to replace Japan-bound No. 8 Scott Higginbotham.

“It was a pleasure pulling on the Reds jersey and becoming part of such a proud club,” Thomson said.

“At this stage of my career, I wanted to continue to play rugby at a high level and it was important to be in an environment that best fits my needs and feel can get the best out of me.

“The style they play and the direction the club is heading is exciting. I think my game will fit well with the Rebels and allow me to play some quality football, which I am still very much driven to do.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...-1227449715737

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Former Wallaby flyhalf Berrick Barnes was sounded out at his Japanese club early in the year about the possibility of acting as a short-term fill-in when Cooper was injured in the pre-season but the Reds have made no recent contact.
    But how long is the Queensland collective memory? He was the antichrist when he left them. (I think it was a similar situation to the JOC-Force negotiation, they made the sun shine specifically on Berrick and he left them high and dry, At least the Force told JOC to piss off and you can still feel the resentment about that)

The Reds are hamstrung on signing a flyhalf because of the drawn-out top-to-bottom review of Reds operations which still leaves the future of coach Richard Graham in limbo five weeks after the end of the team’s dire four-win season.
    The fact that Braindead Dick's future prospects are positive enough to be described as 'in limbo' proves that Queenslanders are pretty forgiving though.

“It was a pleasure pulling on the Reds jersey and becoming part of such a proud club,” Thomson said.
    Who knew Adam Thompson was such a diplomat?

C'mon the

vCash
    I really hope Barnes comes back. Purely so I can hang shit on everyone over here when they welcome him back with open arms

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I really hope Barnes comes back. Purely so I can hang shit on everyone over here when they welcome him back with open arms
    I would if I wasn't scared about him getting even more brain damage...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I wouldn't push that barrow too hard Jono, they seem to be quite comfortable with backflips in your locality.

C'mon the

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Michalak would have to be one of the highest paid Frenchmen in French Rugby.

There is no way that any Australian Super Rugby Franchise can afford to match that kind of money.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Michalak played a season or two for the Durban Sharks. Better pay here in Aus than in RSA.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Michalak played a season or two for the Durban Sharks. Better pay here in Aus than in RSA.
    Yep. He won't be so popular if he throws as many hospital passes as he did at Durban. He's a QC type player IMO. Brilliant one second and a real dud the next. 33yo next year too.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    ...At least the Force told JOC to piss off TWICE and you can still feel the resentment about that)...
    fixed it for you at no extra charge

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post

The fact that Braindead Dick's future prospects are positive enough to be described as 'in limbo' proves that Queenslanders are pretty forgiving though.

Iain Payten ‏@iainpayten · 6m6 minutes ago
    Reds call for final expressions for head coach, attack coach and defence coach. Richard Graham will have to re-apply. Decision in 2 weeks.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    http://www.redsrugby.com.au/News/New...ce-Review.aspx

The Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) today announced it will move to restructure its organisation following recommendations from the Reds High Performance Review headed by Damien Frawley.

Frawley, a QRU Board member, the current CEO of Queensland Investment Corporation and a former Queensland and Wallabies lock, was joined in the review by Australian Rugby Union (ARU) non-executive Board member Dr. Brett Robinson, also a former Wallabies player and previous General Manager of the ARU’s High-Performance Unit.

The main recommendation of the review will see the QRU transition to an optimal organisational structure that appoints a General Manager, High Performance to lead the strategy and operations of the High Performance Unit.

Other key findings of the review will see the QRU establish a Queensland Reds Rugby Panel with a focus on matters relating to High Performance Strategy including list selection, retention and recruitment and Reds High Performance staff selection

Further recommendations will be to continue the work that has already been completed around coaching structures, including an exhaustive local and international market assessment. As such a committee will be formed and the QRU will call for any final expressions of interest in the roles of Head Coach and Attack and Defence Coach with a view to finalising those appointments early next month.

Current Reds Head Coach, Richard Graham will be included in that process.

The QRU Board today approved these major recommendations and others presented in the review.

Furthermore, a number of the recommendations of the Review have already been implemented in the past two months, including the appointment of Brad Thorn as Reds Elite Development Squad Forwards Coach, Damian Marsh as Head of Athletic Performance, the re-signing of Nick Stiles as Senior Assistant Coach and the appointment of Cameron Lillicrap as Head Physiotherapist.

The review’s far-reaching scope of works included a 360-degree assessment of QRU’s entire Rugby Program over the past 3-5 years as well as an assessment of long-term planning and focused on competitor benchmarking, the Queensland Reds High Performance strategy, Queensland Reds governance and structure and the Queensland Reds investment model

vCash
    "The main recommendation of the review will see the QRU transition to an optimal organisational structure that appoints a General Manager, High Performance to lead the strategy and operations of the High Performance Unit."

Gee, that's even worse than the verbal diarrhoea you see in government review reports!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Iain Payten ‏@iainpayten · 6m6 minutes ago
    Reds call for final expressions for head coach, attack coach and defence coach. Richard Graham will have to re-apply. Decision in 2 weeks.
    The writing on the wall really couldn't be any larger for Graham could it! He clearly has the hide of a rhino!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Ha gotta laugh! The entire QRU rugby is being reorganised and shuffled around with all the frikken rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb......... To justify having a complete dick (pun) of a coach, to justify keeping him on! WTF?!! No point restructuring your organisation when the core is rotten. Dickhead's defo got someone by the short & curlies!