Thread: Genia and Horne Out - Badger and White In

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Genia and Horne Out - Badger and White In

Jim Tucker
    The Courier-Mail
    July 19, 2015 12:39PM

HALFBACK Will Genia’s knee injury has presented a rails run to prime World Cup selection for Nick Phipps.

Genia and winger Rob Horne (calf) were today ruled out of the Wallabies’ trip to Mendoza to face Argentina early on Sunday morning (AEST).

For Genia, the bone bruising and knee cartilage issue that forced him off at half-time in Saturday night’s last-gasp 24-20 thriller against South Africa in Brisbane could not come at a worst time.

He is in a neck-and-neck duel with Phipps for prime time play at the World Cup starting in September.

The depth the Wallabies have at halfback was emphasised in the second half fightback against the Springboks when Phipps delivered a lovely short ball to flanker Michael Hooper to kick-start the rally.

As importantly, Phipps had the poise for the pinpoint long ball from the ruckbase to give centre Tevita Kuridrani the chance to barrel over for the matchwinning try.

Phipps now has the chance to keep hold of the No. 9 jersey.

Wallabies boss Michael Cheika said both Genia and Horne should be fit in time to be considered for next month’s two Bledisloe Cup Tests.

“It’s disappointing for Will and Rob to miss this upcoming Test. They have both made an outstanding contribution to the group this past two weeks, and will continue to remain part of the wider squad from afar,” Cheika said.

“Will is due to have some minor surgery this week and we are confident he will be available for selection for the Bledisloe Cup series.

“We have taken a conservative approach with Rob and the additional week off will serve him well going into the next stage of our campaign.

Winger Nick Cummins and halfback Nic White will join the Wallabies as their replacements for Mendoza. Hooker James Hanson and prop Tetera Faulkner have been added to the stocks of forwards.

Wallabies 31-man squad v Argentina: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Kurtley Beale, Quade Cooper, Nick Cummins, Tetera Faulkner, Scott Fardy, Israel Folau, Bernard Foley, Matt Giteau, James Hanson, Scott Higginbotham, Greg Holmes, Michael Hooper, James Horwill, Sekope Kepu, Tevita Kuridrani, Stephen Moore (c), Drew Mitchell, Ben McCalman, Sean McMahon, Dean Mumm, Nick Phipps, David Pocock, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Scott Sio, Rob Simmons, Will Skelton, James Slipper, Matt Toomua, Joe Tomane, Nic White.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/ru...-1227447820743

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    to be honest I'm more concerned with Nic White being in the team at all come world cup time than who is our starting 9.
    I do not, repeat, do not want Nic White coming on at the end of crucial match to fuck it up. He is just not good enough

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I don't know that White could be that much worse than Genia was on Saturday night. He wasn't the biggest problem out there, but he hardly covered himself in glory.

Good news about Tets, hopefully he's ready to play loosehead, since Kepu seemed to do pretty well, It's Slipper who needed a rocket!

C'mon the

vCash
    I wouldn't be willing to risk it. Plus, White still isn't forgiven for his antics in the bledisloe last year.

vCash
    Phipps plays 80.

As much of a dick as he is, he was obviously the best 9 in Australia on Saturday night.

It's pretty much the same scenario which caused me to not say anything about Hanson getting a call into the squad over Cheese. Even if he makes the bench, nobody in their right mind will substitute Moore at the moment.

C'mon the