Thread: Skillsets of #7 vs. #6

Rookie
    vCash

Skillsets of #7 vs. #6

With all the discussion of Hooper vs Pocock (and previous selection discussion of the ommission of Hodgson), it got me thinking about why can't one of them play #6. In order to answer that, the skillset desired of openside vs. blindside should be established (obviously dependent on team's style of play). So I took a stab at the key skills and potential differences, but it doesn't answer why one of them can't move to the other side of the scrum instead of Fardy. The most obvious difference is you want the faster of the 2 on the openside to get off the scrum and disrubt the opposing backline, but I don't see anything else significantly different. What am I missing?

#7:
    -Strong tackler
    -Disruptive in breakdowns
    -Handy in the backline
    -Speed to get from set pieces to backline
    -Doesn't piss off prop in the scrum
    -Very good with ball in hand

#6:
    -Strong tackler
    -Handy in the backline
    -Speed to get around the pitch
    -Good with ball in hand

If Mafi can go from lock to flanker, and many flankers can play #8, why don't more coaches put their best flankers on the field and quit worrying about "Well, he's a 7 not a 6." I would have like the Force to have had Kane and Hodgo on at the same time.

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The breakdown isn't the be all and end all. You need a minimum three line-out jumpers at Test level. You also benefit from big forwards in the scrum. Usually that means a taller, heavier 6. You also have to consider attacking/defensive effectiveness. Hooper has a good running game but not off slow ball and he isn't a bruising defender. Sometimes it is the big hits on defence that stop momentum and that allow people like Pocock to win a turnover. Traditional play is to have a bigger 6 and a nuggety 8 who can get go forward ball. A good 7 will know when to attack a breakdown and when not to. Besides that, we should be training all of our players to compete better at the breakdown.

In my opinion it is more about balance and combination than what a plàyer needs to do individually.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by agrugger View Post

For the Wallabys

#7:
    -Strong tackler
    -Handy in the backline
    -Speed to get from set pieces to backline
    -Very good with ball in hand
    -Preferably a Waratah

#6:
    -Strong tackler
    -Handy in the backline
    -Speed to get around the pitch
    -Good with ball in hand
    -Preferably Not from Rebels, Force, Brumbies, Reds

vCash
    I also think there needs to be some variety in attack. I don't mind so much if one flanker pisses off and seagulls out in the centres waiting for some glory runs and tries, it can actually give you an extra player in the backs as long as the other forwards can manage the work one player down. Higgers at the Rebels has probably been the embodiment of that theory, making some big runs and scoring lots of tries. To have two leaves a lot of work for the rest of the pack to do. Matching that with Skelton at lock (ok I accept that he works more now, but he's hardly rapid to the ball is he?) and also Simmons and Slipper (the Reds forwards don't exactly cover themselves with glory when it comes to ball retention) I think it makes for a fuck of a lot of work out of Moore Kepu and Fardy, those three have been picked to shore up the scrum more than play the breakdown.....I hope we offload a lot, because the ball in contact is going to murder us.

C'mon the

vCash
    Plus all the murdering & other much more intimate crimes that are going to be committed against us during broken play as well.