Thread: Vale Dr Russel Perry AM

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Vale Dr Russel Perry AM

WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Monday, 13 July 2015

VALE DR RUSSEL PERRY AM

RugbyWA and Western Force have joined the WA rugby community to recognise the enormous contribution of RugbyWA Chairman, Dr Russel Perry AM, who passed away on Sunday, 12 July at the age of 68 after battling Motor Neurone Disease.

Dr Perry’s contribution to WA rugby spanned more than four decades, including a creditable playing career with UWA and representing Western Australia in the early 1970’s.

He later held posts as President of the WA Rugby Union Referees’ Association, member of the National Referee Coaching Advisory Board (1995-2000), and Secretary/Trustee for the WA Old Golds Rugby Foundation (1995-2000).

His association with RugbyWA featured appointments as Chairman of the Judiciary Board (1988-1997), and sat on the RugbyWA Board as a member (2006-2009) and Deputy Chair (2010) before his appointment as Chairman in 2011.

He is a Life Member of RugbyWA, the University of WA Rugby Club and the WA Rugby Referees Association, and in 2012 received a Member (AM) in the General Division of the Order of Australia for his services to rugby in the Queen’s Birthday Honours list, that also recognised his service to the community in urban design, and to the education and training sector.

Dr Perry was highly regarded in Perth’s business sector, most recently holding the position of Chairman of Stirling Capital and was the senior executive responsible for two award-winning property developments – Ellenbrook and Capricorn at Yanchep. He is a former Station Manager of Channel Seven (Perth) and one-time senior executive with Bond Media.

He was also a member of the Australian Broadcasting Tribunal, and held the position of Chairman of the Governing Council for the West Coast Institute of Training.

Dr Perry is survived by his wife, Felicity, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Philippa

Funeral details will be made available once confirmed.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Russel was my most influential referee coach when I started up this caper. His experience and the time he gave to the newbies will forever stay with me. Nice bloke to chat with too.

A great man. A great loss.

Thoughts are with his family.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    RIP my thoughts and prayers go to his family.

Prospect
    vCash
    Russel was one of the most genuine Community Rugby men I have met. He loved Rugby and was a huge supporter of the Community game in Perth. I fondly remember him constantly referring to me as "one of the wise men from the East". At a farewell lunch he called me that again and I said to him I had been in WA for 5 years and two of my 3 kids were born in Perth and maybe he could cut me some slack, his response was "well your kids kids can pick their friends but they are stuck with their father from the East". Priceless. I hope he is well sent off, he was a truly great Rugby man. Whilst many readers of this forum have issues with RWA Board Members, I can assure you he was a huge asset to Rugby in WA and always had the Community game at heart. I wish his family all the best at this tough time.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Nice words - and nice to see you back on here Big Man

Prospect
    vCash
    I never left Ecky.

vCash
    3 posts against your name...
    The quiet achiever

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    lurking with intent!

vCash
    He always made time to talk when he saw us on InnForcer tours, great supporter of the game and will be missed

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Email to referees in the week, in preparation for this weekend:

We have been humbled by the desire of our rugby community to want to pay their respects for the enormous contribution Russel made to rugby in WA from a playing, refereeing and administrative capacity.

Following on from these requests, we would like to facilitate the following for this weekend’s matches as a mark of respect:

- All Referees to wear Black Arm Band (Left sleeve)
    - All Premiership and Championship Players to wear Black Arm Band (Left sleeve)
    o Club Team Managers to communicate with players around significance of the arm bands
    - Minute’s silence to be conducted prior to the start of All Senior Grade Games (including U19 matches) this weekend
    o Clubs with PA System would be encouraged to announce to the crowd that players will be standing for the minute’s silence to honour Dr Russel Perry
    o Team to line up on either side of the halfway line on the 15 m line facing crowd/where camera operator is located
    o Referee and assistant referees to stand between both teams
    o Referee to manage the minute’s silence

We thank you in advance for facilitating this small gesture to honour such an outstanding figure in WA rugby.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    that's the least we can do for a top bloke

Rookie
    vCash
    The funeral of RugbyWA Chairman, Dr Russel Perry will be held at HBF Stadium at 1.30pm on Wednesday, 22 July. The wake will be held at the Home of the Western Force (203 Underwood Avenue, Floreat) with all attendees requested to wear their rugby jerseys.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Friday, 17 July 2015

PINDAN SENIOR GRADES PAY TRIBUTE TO DR RUSSEL PERRY

Players and referees will wear black armbands at all Pindan Senior Grade matches this Saturday as a mark of respect for RugbyWA Chairman Dr Russel Perry, who passed away last weekend.

A minute’s silence will also be held prior to kick-off at each match.

The move was initiated by the clubs and Referees Association as a means of wanting to acknowledge the tremendous contribution Dr Perry had made, and friendships he made throughout his association with the sport.

Dr Perry, who passed away on Sunday morning after a battle with Motor Neurone Disease, provided more than 40 years’ service to rugby in WA as a player, referee and administrator.

Dr Perry’s funeral will be held at the HBF Stadium (formerly Challenge Stadium – Stephenson Ave, Mount Claremont WA) on Wednesday, 22 July at 1.30pm.

A wake will be held at the Home of the Western Force (203 Underwood Avenue, Floreat) with those attending the wake encouraged by the Perry family to wear their rugby jerseys.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Fantastic turn out for the memorial service and then the wake afterwards. Really moving speeches by all who took the stage.

Nice to see some TWF'ers there too, including Harry & Em

He was a bloody good bloke, reckons everyone who went.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    We all had a minute silence prior to our matches on the weekend - even the kwinny boys were quiet for it.