Thread: Neddies v Soaks ... give n take a bonus point

vCash

Neddies v Soaks ... give n take a bonus point

After hearing about the Neddies burger, upon arrival at the foreshore that’s what I headed straight for. Unfortunately I hadn’t heard that it was burger tartare as my hunger saw me go through half of it before I realised.

No similes of raw or undercooked references to the game though as Neddies had to continue where they left off after the bonus point over Wests last week. It was however a bit of a slow start from both sides as opening line outs for both packs were lost through inaccuracies albeit recovering well to gain some worthwhile possessions.

A simple Nedplay saw the opening score with a well executed and classic defence management piece; crash in the middle, briefly consolidate then wide it to score but I’m not sure Soaks would not be happy with the fact that the winger went right round to dot down under the posts?

The Soaks response however, was the epitome of the game in that it took a dozen or so phases after a second line out to move into scoring zones and eventually grounding, as Neddies looked to play patience with these attacks. On several occasions a Soaks foray would result in nett yards lost along with the possession. An attempt to run out of their 22 by going wide early, was scuppered by covering midfield defence and in the turnaround, one of many mazy runs turning circles in the grass from the blue outside centre resulted in inevitably his second score.

The kick pressure tactic on the Soaks clearances was outstanding, keeping all involved on their toes and bringing rewards in confining those touch finders shorter and shorter. That and some outstanding defence from an extremely mobile front row trio, taking carry after carry combining with some pretty big hits, especially from the hooker kept Neddies on plan to force the errors in the Soaks’ own half.

The last ten minutes showed some complete defence management once more in a crash, drawing ruck defence and ball to playmakers to find the gaps that led to two more full point goals and the bonus point, a first half bonus point.

All made simpler when you’re playing against fourteen men, a result of repeated ruck infringements, some more obvious than others but of course none were even close if you listen the Soaks entourage on the sideline with their match long negativity … and they are ‘supporters’?

An effective and efficient 40 minutes, well narrated by the Neddies fullback in his constant organisation of defence, spatial awareness and vision from the back.

The second half saw the arrival of the sunshine, ready to pour down the eyes of the Neddies back three if the tactic was employed to gain some leverage from the conditions. It also brought the arrival of Mr Ruru in the midfield.

Making the most of a depleted opposition, Neddies saw to it straight away with another play outnumbering a defence now resembling the canine limb to start the half as they had finished it. However the visitor’s response to a quick tap did catch the home defence out with a flash of the speed and handling capabilities to score a great try down at clubhouse corner and like the first half the second had opened with a try apiece.

Strangely enough the trend followed with alternate scoring throughout the second forty. Soaks were unable to cope with the mechanisms of the Nedplays but a faltering defence structure which led to bouts of indiscipline and Soaks came crawling back into the game with some displays of that potential from when they opened the half.

Those mechanisms from the hosts were best showcased on a Soaks scrum, which had not been fairing too well but their backline had confidence in setting up a set play on the left hand side with all the double digit positions in position. The defending blue scrum was effective and the loss on their own feed left the other flank quite open for another counter attack. So guess what the spoiling team did, fly up the other flank consolidate possession bringing all the Soaks defence over then outflank on the other side from whence they came and score in the corner. Simplistic defence management.

With the game drifting into the last quarter and long stoppages now preceding every restart, that indiscipline started to cost with penalties awarded to the yellows to keep the second half possession stats level and upset the game management rhythms. Wearing 40 points on the scoreboard Soaks managed to wrench their own bonus point with the fourth try of the game with only minutes remaining. The last word however went the inimitable Mr. Ruru out of position in midfield but strong enough to break several tackles to make a one handed scoring pass at the games close.

The final and flattering scoreline was 47 – 24, albeit with no penalties at all, but performances that would fill up the board on the analysis sessions.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Is this a long winded way of saying that on the day Soaks were owned by Nedlands in all grades and had an answers for everything Soaks could throw at them.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    Is this a long winded way of saying that on the day Soaks were owned by Nedlands in all grades and had an answers for everything Soaks could throw at them.
    We were talking after the game and no one had the answer to when was the last time neddies had a clean sweep against soaks.i was thinking back in the 80s.if anyone has records an answer to this would be much appreciated.on another note since foley decided to pull all force players from the remainder of the season westie has gone quiet and no one else has brought it up surely people have an oppinion on the subject

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    I as sit here in my freezing cold warehouse I notice that quite a few regulars have gone awol. Is there any club Nedlands hasn't had a clean sweep against?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    I as sit here in my freezing cold warehouse I notice that quite a few regulars have gone awol. Is there any club Nedlands hasn't had a clean sweep against?
    Probably a lot of clean sweeps against Kala in the 70's..

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbyFan View Post
    Probably a lot of clean sweeps against Kala in the 70's..
    Now I am thinking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bally View Post
    force players from the remainder of the season westie has gone quiet and no one else has brought it up surely people have an oppinion on the subject
    My comment the other week must have been a li'l obtuse. I'll spull it out - the worst thing that could happen to Wests (same as last season), if a load of "blow-ins" were allocated to the club and cuckood regular players out of their spots.

Champion
    vCash
    By the end of this weekend out of 14 comp matches so far this season
    Rory Walton 13 full matches
    Albert Nikora 13 full matches
    Brad Lacey 6 full matches
    Been pulled out for rest of club season, hardly fucken blow ins.
    Absolute fucken disgrace.My last post on this subject but wait till the seasons finished and then I'll be telling some home truths

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Rookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Rory Walton 13 full matches
    The only disgrace is that this guy still has a force contract!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    hardly fucken blow ins.
    Absolute fucken disgrace.My last post on this subject but wait till the seasons finished and then I'll be telling some home truths
    No problem with the other guys mentioned, my comment related to The Force dropping a player on Wests last season right at finals time (Cowan I think), obviously way too obtuse.