Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Queensland Rugby exits Quade Cooper negotiations

vCash
    Yeah Foley's hanging around.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I thought Foley was on one of those sign with the ARU and we'll let you go overseas outside of Super Rugby/Test window deals?
    Oh yeah that is true... forgot that other special rule just introduced that Foley was the first recipient....
    So wonder what would be the reason for the ARU to still want to keep him.....

vCash
    If he plays 6 tests this year they won't have to, theoretically.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    I thought Foley was on one of those sign with the ARU and we'll let you go overseas outside of Super Rugby/Test window deals?
    Correct. Isn't he doing a Ben Mac and heading to Japan? Big bucks for a handfull of games per season. Craig Wing is still raking it in at 36.

vCash
    correct

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I saw in the news ticker on the morning show there's a rumour that Quakes might go to the tahs.

Firstly, this shit is bananas.
    Secondly, I would believe it, apparently the tahs can have any player they want. Watch his ARU contract and top up get quickly and quietly ratified and his virtually instant entry into the wallabies training squad
    Whoever the new tahs coach is has said they're not going for him

vCash
    He said something about not being able to fit him under their salary cap. Guess that shows just how much they don't want him!!!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Whoever the new tahs coach is has said they're not going for him
    Well the new tahs coach is a kiwi and apparently quade said something bad about ritchie maccaw back in 1982 so quade is forever bound to suffer the wrath of 6 million NZ passport holders so the tahs will not exercise their, "we can sign anyone and damn the consequences" clause.

now that the Reds have told him to get knicked I'll put a fiver on quade posting on twitter the reds environment toxic.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    ARU prepared to make Quade Cooper the face of Australia’s Olympic Sevens campaign

IAIN PAYTEN
    The Daily Telegraph
    June 23, 2015 10:00PM

THE Australian Rugby Union are prepared to bankroll Quade Cooper to become the face of their Olympic sevens campaign and potentially keep the door open for the star no. 10 to stay in Australian long-term.

Sevens and the Western Force emerged as the strongest alternatives to a French move for Cooper yesterday after the Waratahs hung out the “no vacancies” sign for 2016.

Cooper has signed a deal with French club Toulon but in an apparent change of heart, had also continued to negotiate with the ARU and Queensland this year with an eye to potentially staying.

A four-year ARU deal was tabled but frustrated with a lack of progress, the Reds withdrew their part of the contract, leading Cooper to look south to NSW.

The Daily Telegraph reported Cooper was open to a potential switch to NSW and a move to Sydney, where his girlfriend Laura Dundovic is based.

But incoming Waratahs coach Daryl Gibson said on Tuesday while he’d love to see Cooper in sky blue, salary cap pressures and the presence of Wallaby no. 10 Bernard Foley meant it won’t happen next season.

​”​Quade is a wonderful player don’t get me wrong I would love for him to be part of NSW Waratahs at some stage. But we are full, we have salary cap issues and also I think he would be struggling to find a spot in our team​,” Gibson said. ​

“We are probably getting a little bit greedy and I think we have enough players to cover what we need. ​”

The response from Waratahs CEO Greg Harris was similar but quizzed as to whether Cooper could be of more interest in 2017 or beyond, he said: “A week is a long time in football, let alone a year. You’d never say never but at the moment it is not on our radar at all.”

Though a longshot, the potential for the Waratahs to revisit the Cooper issue could still prove influential.

The ARU are so serious about the notion of Cooper being a high-profile frontman for their Olympic sevens push that the Daily Telegraph understands they’re prepared to not only pay him the same-sized ARU top-up for 2016, but to cover the amount Queesnland had offered him as well.

Industry sources say that would conservatively be a $500,000-plus figure in totality.

The Australian sevens team — who are based in Sydney — are yet to qualify for the Olympics (they must win an Oceania tournament in November) but if Cooper joins the Aussie program under Geraint John, it is likely he would only play the shortened version of the game next year ahead of the August Olympic Games in Rio, and not need to sign with a Super Rugby club.

This could give Cooper the leeway to spend another year negotiating his future with another Super Rugby franchise, whether it be the Waratahs or the Force.

While Melbourne and the Brumbies are both understood to be not interested in Cooper, the Force are desperate for not only high-quality Wallabies recruits, but a marquee no. 10 as well.

Cooper fits the bill and there was speculation on Tuesday the Force have already begun crunching the numbers and arranging finances to have a giant crack at finally landing a big fish.

Having learned a painful lesson about loose-lips when Will Genia backed out on a deal in 2012, however, the Force declined to comment on Cooper yesterday.

Amid all the intrigue of Cooper’s future, however, a move to France still appears to be the most likely course of action. Cooper faces a “get-out” fee of up to $220,000 to break his Toulon contract.

Several Australian clubs are also wary of Cooper’s injury history, having had several major operations in recent years.

Cooper is adamant has made no decision. He texted Queensland teammates yesterday to say they would be the first to know where he was headed and there was still no news.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/su...-1227412004291

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    It would be awesome to have quade at the force, for what he is worth of course - about 250k less than what his manager is asking for.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    The debate is whether Quade is actually going to stay fit enough to justify the big bucks to stay and the Reds mustn't think he's worth it- unless he's (quite rightly) cracked the shits about RG being coach. What annoys me is that whereas the Force are struggling with no funds to find top players and a good 10, the Reds are now free to draft in another star player with apparently their unlimited funds because I'm pretty sure if they'd wanted to keep QC the money would suddenly be available! As per above news, how can the Force find this money, and if they can then isn't it better to spend it pursuing a better option than Quade? Unless of course the ARU, being keen to keep in Aus are going to come to the party.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    The interesting thing here is that nobody has leaked an image of this signed contract or letter of intent.

Given what Toulon usually do it's really interesting - look at what happened to vermulen the other day.

vCash
    I wouldn't say no to QC coming to the Force, but he's in cloud cuckoo land if he thinks he's in a position to demand decent $$. That ship has well and truly sailed. As it has for the likes of JOC and to a lesser extent Kurtley Beale. These guys have not been able to demonstrate consistency on the field nor maturity off the field and that lessens their true worth considerably. And you also have to consider their teams performance, for Queensland to finish virtually last with a star studded lined up is an embarrassment, some of the blame lies on RG's shoulders, but the players have got to carry a large part of the blame. It's not the coaches fault if they drop balls, miss tackles and make tactical blunders. You have to start looking at some of the senior players and wondering why they didn't step up to the plate when their backs were against the wall.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I don't mind him at all as a player, but I would really have to question his fit with the team and especially with the game plan. As the old saying goes, you can only help someone who wants to be helped and I have seen absolutely no evidence that the Force aspires to any different game-plan than the one they are playing. Quite the opposite, they seem to push all players into that same mould. I really can't see how QC would fit into that plan, and I certainly can't see them changing that just because of one player. Different if he were coming into a backline that was trying but just lacked that spark to complete the moves they aspired to, but that is not the case. They wouldn't just be starting from scratch, they'd have to be shown where scratch was and which way to head from there.

Even those that accept the "lack of talent" excuse would have to agree that changing a single player would change nothing - we've tried it before, even had multiple top players and it hasn't helped. If anything, it was a key contributor to the poor culture that they have supposedly been working on fixing for so long. And finding that sort of money would have to come out of someone's pocket, so I would expect some of the better of the rest might need to go. Different if he were coming here because he really wanted to or because he saw the potential, but that is just not the case. We would be expedient, nothing more.

That said, if the ARU were picking up the whole bill (as they seem willing to do for him to play Sevens), then we would probably give him a run. But it feels a lot more like they are hoping we will pay their bills once again.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I don't mind him at all as a player, but I would really have to question his fit with the team and especially with the game plan.
    I think that it would be due to the lack of a talented flyhalf that the game plan did not change much last year. QC has a lot of talent and once he was back from his injury, you could see that the Reds lifted their game significantly... could be a coincidence with Connolly in his new role but QC was most probably a big part of it. As much as I don't like the man for his past, I absolutely love the player and hope that he will be a Force player next year.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast