Thread: Wykes says sayonara to Force

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wykes says sayonara to Force

Nick Taylor
    June 10, 2015, 7:53 am

Departing Western Force second-rower Sam Wykes has no regrets on his move to Japan but admits it is only sinking in that Friday night’s clash with the Melbourne Rebels will be his last time in the blue jumper.

He was cleaning out his locker at Force HQ after his final training session yesterday when memories of his eight years at the Force came back.

"There was a little bit of emotion there and after the last home game last week as well," the 86-match veteran said.

"I found some things in the locker that had been there since we first moved in, some old play books and other stuff, and I shared a few moments with the boys.

"It's starting to sink in but at the same time it's exciting .

"It hasn't been the best year and I would love to have achieved a little bit more in terms of personal honours and team goals but I'm honoured to have played rugby in Perth and been a part of history here.

"To put on the blue jersey with the boys was something I never took for granted."

Wykes leads the team song after wins, only twice this season, and would love to finish off with one more rendition in Melbourne.

"To finish off with a win would be great, to sing the team song for one last time," he said.

"I lead it and to sing it one more time with the boys would be fantastic."

Wykes is joining winger Nick Cummins for a two-year stint at Japanese club Red Sparks.

Spending time with wife Moana and 18-month-old daughter Annia and having another baby due in November was a big factor in the decision.

"I'm saying goodbye but I haven't ruled coming back," he said.

Coach Michael Foley said he was sorry to see Wykes leave but understood his reasons and would welcome him back.

“The door is always open, he’s been a fantastic servant of the club," Foley said.

"He’s been a major influence on guys when he stepped in as captain but he’s also helped them with a number of technical areas of the game.

“His experience has been invaluable.

"One of the things that all Australian clubs face is the threat of players being poached and being renumerated so well that they can set themselves up for life after rugby

“I knew about Sammy leaving when we played the second round game against the Reds.

“It was a hard chat because I certainly didn’t want him to go and I got a strong sense that he wasn’t too keen either but it’s a decision he’s made for his family and he has the blessing and support of us."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...nara-to-force/

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Eight years of blood sweat and tears, thank you Sammy.

I was lucky enough to be able to personally say thank you for all he had done for us at the end of the game on Friday night.

Thanks for the memories, god bless and enjoy the next part of your rugby journey.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Eight years of blood sweat and tears, thank you Sammy.

I was lucky enough to be able to personally say thank you for all he had done for us at the end of the game on Friday night.

Thanks for the memories, god bless and enjoy the next part of your rugby journey.
    Nicely put.

Sam Wykes a family favourite.
    All the best in Japan

vCash
    Go well Sam and good luck in Japan.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    met him and his family in bris not the hardest or best player to wear the force jersey over 8 years but to me he gave all he could thanks sam and good luck

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Thanks Sam...sorry we could never find enough Black Curly wigs to pay you full tribute.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!