Thread: Pirates’ long voyage in search of treasure

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Pirates’ long voyage in search of treasure

Nick Taylor
    June 8, 2015, 8:35 am

WA rugby league faces another frustrating 12-month wait before knowing whether West Coast Pirates will become a reality in the NRL.

Hopes for a WA club have been constantly raised and dashed in the past five years, but talks over a new television deal from 2018 have started and the NRL’s head of strategy Shane Richardson, a strong supporter of having a WA side, will finish his review of the game’s future next year.

If expansion gets the go-ahead, rugby league’s local controlling body, NRLWA, will need 18 months to kick-start the $20 million Pirates franchise launched three years ago.

Unlike two years ago when broadcaster Channel Nine said there was no appetite for more games, broadcasting companies are unlikely to have the controlling hand over the new deal.

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg said the new television deal was only a part of Richardson’s review.

“It’s not just about what we want to see on television, it’s more our decision on what we think is best for the game,” Greenberg said.

“We’re developing our plan for our sport. There are a number of things to look at.

“Shane is doing a very detailed piece of work for the future of the game and that will include expansion.”

Greenberg said the record 20,272 crowd that watched South Sydney’s 36-4 win over the New Zealand Warriors at nib Stadium on Saturday showed a strong desire for rugby league in Perth.

“We understand Western Australia is a growth area for the game, year-on-year growth. It’s nice to see a strong appetite,” he said.

It is understood three NRL games are planned for nib Stadium next year — Wests Tigers officials were among the spectators at Saturday’s game — and 2017 Rugby League World Cup matches are on the agenda.

“There is certainly an appetite from a number of our clubs to look into new markets ... and there have been discussions with the venue (nib),” Greenberg said.

“Clubs will look closely at Perth to play games in future.

“As we progress closer to the World Cup there is a great opportunity potentially to play a Test match in Perth.

“Perth has made a great case to have high-quality games.

“Discussions are already under way with tourism and government and we will continue those discussions.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...h-of-treasure/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Could be just caution on his part, but Greenburg made no mention of basing a team here. But what he did say was that more clubs are looking to play here, including 3 next year. That's about all I expect for the forseeable future TBH. Unless a franchise fails and is offered the choice of relocate with concessions and assistance - or nothing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David