Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Louwrens, Prior set to stay with the Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Always have inside info,3 years done deal.
    ARU just holding the cards to see how long it'll take for him to sign with the tahs

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    So who is the NZ lock we are wanting to sign?
    Someone may recognise him. He's the one on the end. Looks like a good lineout option.

Name:  Abloy_20PL330.png
Views: 229
Size:  60.5 KB

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Friday, 29 May 2015

PRIOR, LOUWRENS RE-SIGN WITH THE FORCE

The Western Force has extended the stay of scrumhalves Ryan Louwrens and Ian Prior through until the end of the 2017 Asteron Life Super Rugby season.

The pair joins fellow halfback Alby Mathewson, who is signed to the Force until the end of 2016.

Head Coach Michael Foley says signing three strong scrumhalves puts the squad in a strong position moving forward.

“We’re fortunate to have three high quality scrumhalves that are pushing each other for the ‘9’ jersey,” he said. “Alby, Ian and Ryan challenge one another and it’s provided a healthy and very competitive environment for them to continue to improve.

“This season, Ian’s shown great signs of development in his running game, which compliments excellent speed of clearance and a good awareness of the strategic decision-making required to ensure the team gains and maintains momentum.

“Ryan has made the most of his opportunities this season. As a young player, he’s benefited immeasurably from the tutelage he’s received from Alby over the past 12 months and brings a running threat in attack and a physical presence in defence.”

Local product Ryan Louwrens made his Asteron Life Super Rugby debut this season against the Chiefs in Hamilton this season, and has already returned two tries in his four appearances for the club.

The former Churchlands High School student has spent two seasons as part of the Force squad, with his 2014 season cut short by a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament and subsequent knee reconstruction.

The Cottesloe scrumhalf, who finished runner-up in the 2013 PG Hampshire Award in the local Pindan Premier Grade, says he’s looking forward to continuing with the Western Force.

“It’s a great feeling to know I’ll be staying here with the Force,” he said. “I’ve loved getting my opportunity to play Super Rugby this year and knowing that I get to stay here with this group of guys for another two years is fantastic.

“Having been in Perth and played with Cottesloe for a number of years, pulling on the Western Force jumper was something I’ve wanted to do for a while, and I’ve enjoyed every second of playing Super Rugby for the Force.

“I’ve had great support from my wife and my family and they’ve been very pleased for me to see the hard work pay off this season.

“Alby and Ian are both excellent ‘9’s and there’s a lot of good competition for that spot between us. Alby helped me a lot in pre-season to get my game sharpened up, and it’s also thanks to him that I’ve been able to reach this point in my career this season.”

Scrumhalf Ian Prior returns for another two seasons with the Force, after joining the Western Australian club for the 2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby season from the ACT Brumbies.

The former Australian Under 20 representative has already registered 24 appearances for the Western Force over two seasons, as part of 55 Asteron Life Super Rugby caps across five seasons for the Queensland Reds, Brumbies and Force.

Prior, who also represented the Perth Spirit in last year’s Buildcorp National Rugby Championship – including a 23-point haul against the Sydney Stars, says he’s excited about remaining in Perth with the Force.

“I’m really happy to be back for another two years,” he said. “I’ve really enjoyed my rugby and developed a lot as a player while I’ve been here, and I really enjoy the Perth lifestyle. The boys here are fantastic, I really enjoy playing under the coaching staff and so it was a pretty easy decision in terms of the all-round package on offer here.

“Perth feels like home now and I’m really happy away from my rugby too which is really important. I know this was the best place for me to play my rugby and it’s an environment where I feel like I can really thrive and continue developing – both personally and professionally.

“While we may not have the best season in terms of results, there’s still a strong belief that we’re heading in the right direction. We understand that there are ups and downs as we head to where we want to get to, but we’re a young group that is continually developing.

“It’s a good indication of the environment and culture around the club that players are buying in and are keen to stay.”

The Force returns to the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) this Saturday (30 May) to take on the Queensland Reds.

The Force will wear pink socks for the match as part of the McGrath Foundation’s ‘Pull On Your Socks’ campaign. Click here to read more about the ‘Pull On Your Socks’ match.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2