Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding last place is Force's sole objective

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Avoiding last place is Force's sole objective

Nick Taylor
    May 25, 2015, 10:41 am

Western Force have three Australian derbies remaining to avoid Super Rugby's wooden spoon, the unwanted title they last held in their 2006 foundation season.

The challenge starts on Saturday night at nib Stadium with what could be the bottom-place decider against the Queensland Reds who have fallen a long way from 2011 title holders.

The Force are propping up the ladder, two points adrift of the Reds.

They will need to finish off chances and eradicate handling errors, areas where they fell down in last Saturday's 23-3 loss to the Highlanders, if they are to avenge the second round 18-6 defeat by the Reds.

The game could give possible Force recruit, centre Ben Tapuia, a chance to show coach Michael Foley that he would be a useful buy for next year.

The Reds will be buoyed by the return of Wallabies fly-half Quade Cooper who fractured his scapula against the Rebels in Melbourne on Good Friday.

Foley said his side would need to be wary of a Reds team that had shown a more physical side in recent games.

"We're boxing in a weight division that's slightly above us at the moment. That doesn't stop us from believing that if we can convert chances we can come away with wins," Foley said.

"We've got three derbyies in a row and none more important that the next one we play.

"We'll be playing a Reds side that over the last few weeks have been more physical. They have played more direct.

"They have been encouraged to be more physical. They have done some good things with the ball.

"There are some very, very dangerous players. You've seen (scrum-half) Will Genia more in the game than he may have been in some of the earlier games."

The Force blew three first half chances against the Highlanders who showed the home side exactly how to grab them.

"You're not going to blow teams like the Highlanders off the park but you can beat them," Foley said.

"To get to those (scoring) positions you would had to have done a lot of things right. To not finish off means the opposition stay alive.

"We have to take opportunities when they come and take care of the ball a bit better."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ole-objective/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    What other objective could they possibly have??!!

PS - Love the new avi TIF. So much so that I'm going to steal it! 😜

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    And here I was believing we were in with a shot of the finals before the season started.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Herbasimplex; 26-05-15 at 09:08.

vCash
    This season has been a complete failure.

To go from 9 wins and nearly making finals to a record losing streak and a dogfight to avoid the wooden spoon is a disgrace. Yeah we had a tough draw this year but the gap between our best Rugby and our worst Rugby is massive. Beat the Waratahs in week 1 in Sydney was a massive win then to follow it up with what was dished up against the Reds and Hurricanes, which has unfortunately been displayed too often this year.

Did the Force over achieve last year?

Having said all that a win against Qld should see the Force dodge the spoon unless Qld can spring an upset against the Chiefs or the Waratahs.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    And here I was believing we were in with a shot of the finals before the season started.
    We were in with a shot before the season started, in fact after round 1 we were in an even better position to make the finals

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Player
    vCash
    Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 659
Size:  43.9 KB

Here's the reality after 10 years (well 9 and an in progress). Foley as things stand now is 45 games, 15 wins, 1 draw, 29 loses. 33% win percentage. He's seems like a great bloke, he's done a lot for the club and the culture. Ultimately as with all coaches are the results there? Make of it what you will.

The Force have historically been one of the lowest average points scorers per game. Points differential indicates we win small and lose big. Attitude is cited constantly in post match interviews but why is it they can't bring it and perform consistently? Sport is played 90% above the shoulders. If you can't get your head in the game for 80 minutes once a week then there is something lacking.

2014 was perhaps just a false dawn? Perhaps they assumed this year things would just flow automatically and the push to the finals in our 10th year (what a celebration it's been!) was a given. Big lesson......never assume.....it makes an ass out of you and me.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Wow, if they finish 2nd last instead of last that will be such a great achievement and everything will be rosy for next year!

Maybe they should have a few more objectives such as focusing on recruitment for next year and a new game plan.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moono74 View Post
    ...Here's the reality after 10 years (well 9 and an in progress)...
    ...If you can't get your head in the game for 80 minutes once a week then there is something lacking...
    These two points stuck in my head. To lack something in their mentality for a decade-long period, there has to be something wrong in the organization as a whole. Players have come and gone, but overall something is amiss.

This team needs it's own version of Arsenal's Herbert Chapman to come in and establish a "way" for the organization to guide itself by. An ethos that becomes the foundation of the team, something that every player has to understand when they pull on the jersey.

I can't see this happening right away, things like that come about organically. But I'm certain it will come when the team further develops into being the actual WA State Team, rather than just the Force Super Rugby Franchise™

But there is one guy in the team now who might become that talisman, ironically he's not originally Western Australian either, but I can see Matt Hodgson developing into that. When you consider how much more alert the whole team is, how much they lift when he plays, I wonder how good a motivator he can be, if and when he takes up a coaching/advisory role?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Moono74 View Post
    Here's the reality after 10 years (well 9 and an in progress). Foley as things stand now is 45 games, 15 wins, 1 draw, 29 loses. 33% win percentage.
    Fairly sure his numbers will be worse if you add his brief coaching stint at NSW to those numbers.

If next year turns out to be as bad as this year then it's going to be fatal towards Foley seeing out his contract. He's a great set piece coach but possibly not the way forward as a head coach. Foley desperately needs to review the game plan because it has been found out this year.

Player
    vCash
    Losing is contagious and that has been the underlying status quo for the organisation over 10 years. Fear of failure dominates and ends up curtailing any flair or individual brilliance.

Take the Fremantle Dockers. Long considered a basket case organisation and little brother to the Eagles. But they turned it around by reinventing themselves (new jersey etc), becoming more professional in their operations, marketing, sponsorship etc and attracting a coach who had proven success with St Kilda. The Dockers are now setting the agenda and reaping the rewards.

Hopefully the Force can finish strong and win the last 3 games but they need to have a hard look at the areas where they are deficient and address them before another 10 years go by and we are still just making up the numbers instead of setting the agenda as a true Force in the competition.

vCash
    Fremantle are a very good example to the Force. I think the re-invention or overhaul is a great option.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Foley
    That doesn't stop us from believing that if we can convert chances we can come away with wins," Foley said.
    This is the problem. I read this as: "We kinda believe that if maybe we can..you know - not fuck up - that we might scrape in a win every now and then."

They need to know that they can win. They have actually proved it enough times.

We need a team whip whose sole purpose is to bitch slap anyone that starts talking soft

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    And that's why this years record setting season has hurt so much. 3 wins from the last 3 games is a MUST!

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    This is the problem. I read this as: "We kinda believe that if maybe we can..you know - not fuck up - that we might scrape in a win every now and then."

They need to know that they can win. They have actually proved it enough times.

We need a team whip whose sole purpose is to bitch slap anyone that starts talking soft
    I'll move back for that job.

Player
    vCash
    If their goal isn't to be the best S15 team in Australia and to win the comp they might as well hand their licence back and let another State have a crack in the competition.

I second the 'bitch slap' policy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast