Thread: Force players dig into pockets

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Force players dig into pockets

Have taken this from a Rugby e News mailout but also saw similar in Dave Hughes' article on Saturday.
    A fantastic gesture by the Force boys and another expression by the new team of what the "Spirit of Rugby" is really about.

Force players dig into pockets

Western Australian rugby and players are doing their bit to extend a hand of friendship to the Pacific Island rugby fraternity.

Ahead of last Saturday's friendly game between a Western Force XV and the touring Manu Samoa side Force player representatives Brendan Cannon and John Welborn approached club management expressing the squad's desire to donate half their match payments to the cash strapped Samoan Union. It's no secret that all the Pacific Island unions face severe financial hurdles every season which often hamper their planning for each year's test calendar. Rugby WA Board member and Force lock Welborn said all the players were eager to help out their Samoan rugby brothers: "The guys understand the situation that Samoan rugby is in, and it's a good opportunity for us to help out in a small way," said Welborn.

The WA union has also approached the WA Government with an early proposal for a formal exchange programme that would see Samoan athletes spend time training and coaching in Perth. Manu Samoa defeated the Force 28-24.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Great gesture, this is what sets rugby apart from other sporting codes, we think nothing of helping the opposition to improve so the spectacle,ie rugby, becomes better for it, and then we can all enjoy a beer together at the end of the game. Comraderie is what attracted me to the game in the first place, and these sort of things always make me feel good about that decision.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    its great to be part of the international rugby following when stuff likes this happens!!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Impressive to read stuff like that....not only does it show rugby is still a gentlmans sport but if more of this type of thing was done at all levels, and I'm not talking sport, then maybe the world would be a better place for many..........sheesh, I think I'm going hippy....slap.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Good on them! Welborn and wonky-head have my respect for that!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    how cool is that - makes you proud to be a supporter

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco