Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Force -v- Highlanders, Round 15

vCash

Force -v- Highlanders, Round 15

Fullback Dane Haylett-Petty will return to the Western Force’s starting XV when the Western Australian club takes on the Otago Highlanders at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) on Saturday (23 May).

Haylett-Petty resumes his regular place in the ‘15’ jersey after being a late omission in the Force’s last match against the NSW Waratahs with a groin injury.

Outside back Marcel Brache, who started on the wing against the Waratahs, will start at outside centre against the New Zealanders, linking with Kyle Godwin in the midfield, who will shift to the ‘12’ jersey in place of the injured Solomoni Jnr Rasolea (ankle).

On the bench, local product and Wests Scarborough winger Brad Lacey is set to make his Asteron Life Super Rugby debut, having also represented the Australian Under 20 at last year’s IRB Junior World Championship, and progressed through the Perth Spirit in the 2014 Buildcorp National Rugby Championship. Lacey becomes the 10th local player to represent the Western Force in 2015.

Lock Sam Wykes is set to make his return from a foot injury that has sidelined him for three matches.

Tickets are available for the Western Force’s home match against the Highlanders at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) on Saturday, 23 May. Tickets are available from www.ticketmaster.com.au.

2015 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week 15
    Western Force v Highlanders
    The ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium), Perth
    Saturday, 23 May 2015
    Kick-off: 7.45pm

1. Pekahou Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Tetera Faulkner
    4. Steve Mafi
    5. Adam Coleman
    6. Angus Cottrell
    7. Matt Hodgson (c)
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Ryan Louwrens
    10. Sias Ebersohn
    11. Nick Cummins
    12. Kyle Godwin
    13. Marcel Brache
    14. Luke Morahan
    15. Dane Haylett-Petty

Reserves
    16. Heath Tessmann
    17. Chris Heiberg
    18. Guy Millar
    19. Sam Wykes
    20. Kane Koteka
    21. Alby Mathewson
    22. Luke Burton
    23. Brad Lacey

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So is anyone feeling courageous to bring up this game? Will the Force turn up this week after a bye with fresh legs and an attitude? Or has a week off defused the game brains? Do we have a game plan to beat the Highlanders keeping in mind their 8 try win over Cheetahs? Will Sias stop kicking the ball 99.9% and actually run into attack? Will Kyle do yet another chip kick to no one in particular? Will Badger get a pie because someone remembered to pass?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Darren; 22-05-15 at 10:57. Reason: Added Match Preview

vCash
    Depends which Force turn up on the day; but they enjoy beating the Highlanders.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    I'm just looking forward to rugby again! I might get depressed when we lose but I sure miss watching the Force games live. Even watching all the other matches doesn't scratch the itch!
    I've gone from a rugby tragic to a Force tragic. 4 more games and then the NRC let's hope the Spirit have a better season the the Force.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    So is anyone feeling courageous to bring up this game? Will the Force turn up this week after a bye with fresh legs and an attitude? Or has a week off defused the game brains? Do we have a game plan to beat the Highlanders keeping in mind their 8 try win over Cheetahs? Will Sias stop kicking the ball 99.9% and actually run into attack? Will Kyle do yet another chip kick to no one in particular? Will Badger get a pie because someone remembered to pass?
    No
    Let's hope so.
    Probably not.
    No
    No
    Yes
    No

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I'm just looking forward to rugby again! I might get depressed when we lose but I sure miss watching the Force games live. Even watching all the other matches doesn't scratch the itch!
    I've gone from a rugby tragic to a Force tragic. 4 more games and then the NRC let's hope the Spirit have a better season the the Force.
    Me too SNOB!!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    New drinking game: Have a shot every time Sias kicks.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Good shout. Off to get extra piss in. Now, where did I leave my trailer?

Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WFDom View Post
    Good shout. Off to get extra piss in. Now, where did I leave my trailer?
    It'll be wherever you left your blue singlet!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Century milestone looms for Ben Smith

AAP
    May 20, 2015, 9:30 am

All Black Ben Smith will be seeking to help the Highlanders overcome a major Super Rugby hoodoo and celebrate a personal milestone when they play the Western Force in Perth on Saturday.

If selected, Smith will join Anton Oliver, Tony Brown and Jimmy Cowan among those who have played 100 games for the franchise.

The 28-year-old who made his debut for the Highlanders in 2009 has remained remarkably injury-free and become one of the key members of the All Blacks squad.

His fifth-placed Highlanders are fresh off a 45-24 win over the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein but they have invariably struggled again the Force, both home and away.

They have lost their past six matches against the West Australian outfit, who sit at the bottom of this year's standings with just two wins.

The Highlanders' past win was a shaky 8-7 result in 2007.

It is an awkward game for the southerners who, once they have played the Force, finish their regular season against the Chiefs in Invercargill followed by away games against the Hurricanes and Blues.

"The Force are a really tough team at home and have tipped over a lot of sides," Smith said.

"They are fresh off a bye and beat the Waratahs in their last game.

"Tactically they are going to be a different team to play from those in South Africa. So our preparation will have to be accurate."

Super Rugby's leading tryscorer this season Waisake Naholo is expected to make his return from the heel injury which kept the winger out of last week's match.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...for-ben-smith/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    The force does not appear to be with the Highlanders.

With the Highlanders having flown to Australia from South Africa for their match in Perth, a quick look at the record books shows the side will have to overcome plenty of history if it wants to bag a win over the Force.

The Western Australian side has won the past six encounters between the two teams and one has to go back to 2007 for a Highlanders win.

And even then it was an ugly 8-7 victory.

Since then, the Highlanders have had some very forgettable moments against the Force, which has been an under-achiever ever since it came into the competition in 2006.

The loss in 2010 was particularly painful. The sides met in Queenstown - for the second time in three years - and the Highlanders were woeful that sunny afternoon under the Remarkables.

The home team lost 41-27 with a shocking display of discipline which signalled the beginning of the end for coach Glenn Moore.

A year later, the Highlanders were in with a real show of making the playoffs under new coach Jamie Joseph but they failed to fire against the Force, and lost 21-14 in their final game at Carisbrook.

In 2013, when both sides were struggling, the Highlanders lost 19-18 in a game in which new winger Tino Nemani, who had just been drafted into the squad, gave away the match-winning penalty.

It is rumoured he was dropped off in Auckland by management on the flight home, and did not even make it back to Dunedin when the team returned home for its next game.

Nemani signed for the Force this season but has barely been sighted.

Last year, the teams met early in the season and the Highlanders put in an average effort, going down 31-29 at Forsyth Barr Stadium.

The only other win for the Highlanders came when the sides met for the first time in 2006, a home-town 25-22 win at Carisbrook.

The most recent two losses in Perth came when the team was coming back from South Africa when perhaps minds were focused on getting home.

There should be no excuse along those lines this week with the playoffs at stake.

The Highlanders arrived in Perth yesterday and had a brief training run to get rid of the cobwebs.

They have not picked up any injuries from the big win over the Cheetahs and hope to have leading try-scorer Waisake Naholo back in the team as he shrugs off a heel injury.

The Force, which is coming off the bye, sits last on the table, and has won just twice all season, but should have some confidence having beaten the champion Waratahs in its most recent match.

Not only is the match on late Saturday night shaping up as a critical in terms of the season, there are two milestones to mark for the Highlanders.

It will be fullback and co-captain Ben Smith's 100th game for the franchise and flanker John Hardie's 50th game in the jersey.

http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/342...-against-force

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Nemani? The bush telegraph has yet to reach Otago obviously.

I think the Highlanders are the only team where we have a positive win/loss record. Hope history repeats itself.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    My favourite (and thanks to Speights) possibly only memory of the win at Queenstown in 2008.....Choking The Highlander with a Force Scarf

http://twf.com.au/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=1260

Even Bert looks drunk in this shot

http://twf.com.au/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=1263

All photo cred to Lonzy

Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 20-05-15 at 15:00.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    If it was a shot everytime a Force player does a hit-up from a standing start, after ten minutes...

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    If it was a shot everytime a Force player does a hit-up from a standing start, after ten minutes...

I think it might be the same outcome for Sias's kicking....??

Champion
    vCash
    Ideal opportunity to give Brad Lacey a crack

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast