Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Force -v- Highlanders, Round 15

Veteran
    vCash
    I think it is a generational thing. once all the players and coaches you knew are gone, they become a different team, then it is easier to move onto something more convenient - ie the local team. easier to watch, easier to read in the news and easier to talk about socially.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    but, i think if the force were much more successful, we'd have more kiwi supporters, we know they are all sore losers.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I have no problem at all with people who live in Perth, but still support their old province. If I moved to any other part of Australia, I'm still a Western Australian born and raised, and I'll still support WA State teams; I wouldn't be able to bring myself to barrack against them. If I had a problem with those supporters who are similar, then I'd be a hypocrite.

What I am curious/irritated/befuddled about, is this situation:
    I've had the same guys near me turn up to every Kiwi game for the last few years just to boo the Force. I have no idea which team they actually support, as we've been playing different NZ opposition each time. I'm curious as to whether the same situation exists in a place like Canberra, who more often beat the NZ teams on home soil, so do these types of supporters turn up at the equivalent Brumbies games? While we still draw larger crowds against Kiwi teams across the board, I have noticed that since we have a positive record against the Highlanders, we generally see less of these fans when they play here. Also, since the Chiefs turned themselves around and won a couple of titles, we have more Kiwis in attendance for their visits over the last few years; whereas originally it was mainly the Crusaders, then the Hurricanes and Blues who used to draw the bigger Kiwi crowds.

I have a mate from Southland, he used to call Aucklanders Jaffas, and hated their guts. He wasn't much of a fan of any North Island team either, but he would say that Auckland was always the worst of the worst in the whole of New Zealand. I must ask him what he thinks of Southland fans in Perth, whom I've seen in their Stags jerseys, turning up and supporting the Auckland Blues? Any thoughts from fellow New Zealanders on that?

As far as the Jaapies go, what I've noticed is that they are much more parochial to their province, and will turn up in droves to support that team in particular. They usually can't bear barracking for another SA team especially if it's one they hate (usually the Blue Bulls.) I've seen folks in Lions (Transvaal) jerseys and Western Province/Stormers jerseys turned up specifically to boo the Bulls. I remember a large contingent of them used to sit on the second level at Subi, behind the goal at the city end of the ground. About 90% of the most ardent Force fans I've sat with, are South Africans. The only time I've ever seen them waver, is when their home-town province came to Perth.

It's an interesting scenario, but in the long run, I suppose it can only truly be remedied by becoming winning brand (?)

I agree with your comments Chibi! When I lived in Hong Kong I supported HK in all games except when they played Australia (sevens). All expats supported their countries of birth, usually a super 15 team or Heineken cup team, but Hong Kong in every other game! The diverse nature of the rugby community probably made for abit more tolerance amongst the different tribes with the exception of the Tars supporters where only a NSWelshmen could love:-) Force were always viewed as try hards but never serious contenders unfortunately! Respect is eventually won through results!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    I think it is a generational thing. once all the players and coaches you knew are gone, they become a different team, then it is easier to move onto something more convenient - ie the local team. easier to watch, easier to read in the news and easier to talk about socially.
    That's very true.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Why should anyone be expected to give up a side they've grown up supporting just because they move elsewhere. The very notion is rubbish. Exile it looks like you have to start supporting the NSW Waratahs based on this theory.

I think the Kiwi's coming out in their numbers to support any NZ side is apart of the whole Australia vs NZ rivalry.

Banter between supporters groups is awesome, unfortunately the Force haven't given us an opportunity to make much noise this season.

vCash
    Good point. From what I used to see in the seats around us, was a few kiwis having a night out looking for a bit of banter, no real interest in the rugby or the particular team playing (aside from the big hits and booing the force kicker) and loving the chance to get one over the aussies. They never really struck me as rugby fans/tragics. If the force started winning more than they lose against kiwi opposition then I think most of these guys would stop coming altogether.

Of course we would likely then gain bandwagon supporters to fill the gap.

vCash
    I think it's typical new Zealand insecurity.

The same thing that deludes them into thinking that Richie never cheats, that the Ref is always wrong when calling a penalty against a Kiwi team and makes them rubbish the force as a shut team even when the Force has cracked a win against the new Zealand team on the night.

I actually love seeing Kiwi jerseys at the Kiwi games, it helps me to identify the ones who are there to support their rugby team for those (usually wearing Auckland Warriors jerseys or something equally appropriate) who are just there looking to have their massive egos stroked by a win against a team which historically can't compete.

At the end of the day, the fucksticks that come to do that drink much more of our expensive watered down poss and they all pay for a ticket, so we make a tidy profit out of having the useless maggots in the stadium.

And to the guys who took the time to make a sign celebrating Ben's 100th, (and their ilk) you're welcome to cheer for the Highlanders as often and as loud as you want.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    You only need to look at the seat map for the reds game, hover over any seat and see why the stadium isnt full. The cost of admission for 2 adults is more than it costs for Pay TV for a month

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8