Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Contract Renewals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I note with interest that you didn't use the term surprising.
    I find I'm not suprised by idiocy anymore.
    Disappointed but not suprised.
    The whole Giteau rule etc. isn't suprising it's just disappointing. There are now players who will throw their hands up in disgust as someone who should have 'retired' to France, Japan, elsewhere is now happy to piss on their chances for a cap.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    I find I'm not suprised by idiocy anymore.
    Disappointed but not suprised.
    Yeah, I get it.

I wasn't criticizing or disagreeing, merely highlighting for the players who weren't paying attention.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    There are now players who will throw their hands up in disgust as someone who should have 'retired' to France, Japan, elsewhere is now happy to piss on their chances for a cap.
    There are always players that will have to wait in line, look at the AB's "first five" (aka fly half) position, DC has had a monopoly for years so the other just have to bide their time or look elsewhere.

I also believe by playing the 60 games required under the rule, you have "made" your commitment to country already no matter where you are plying your trade. Why should a young upstart take the place ahead of a long term experienced and committed player?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    if DC had decided to go to France for his twilight years he wouldn't be getting another cap for the ABs though would he.
    The NZ Rugby boys have decided that you have to play local to get picked.
    Not so in Aus anymore
    and when we get 'desperate' it will shift from 60 tests to 50 or 40
    and those blokes here that are 2nd or 3rd in line will bugger off to the big money leaving Aus rugby poorer.

vCash
    if DC had decided to go to France for his twilight years he wouldn't be getting another cap for the ABs though would he.
    That's true, but only because they don't need him.....there is a line of good flyhalves in New Zealand as long as your arm.
    The NZ Rugby boys have decided that you have to play local to get picked.
    That's not entirely correct, both DC and RMcC have come back and played tests after 'sabbaticals' overseas. so even the Vaunted AllBlacks will bend the rules when they need to.
    and when we get 'desperate' it will shift from 60 tests to 50 or 40
    Probably true, yes, but look at the majority of other countries in the World, when it comes to having a requirement to play in your local competition to play for the national team we are in the Minority, given that our sport is easily fourth in line for the public eye, I'd say we've done pretty well to hold out for so long!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Have you noticed the amount of "changes" to recruiting rules there have been of late, perhaps we have not heard about all of them just yet. I'm sure once all the I's are dotted and T's are crossed there will be answers.....
    Hmmm, are you saying there might be some substance behind this...?
    Quote Greg says ...

"The relationship between several Australian Super Rugby provinces and the Australian Rugby Union head office is again unsteady, due to reports that Melbourne Rebels and Western Force are getting preferential treatment. Ruck'n Maul has been told that several high-ranking officials from the Brumbies, Queensland and New South Wales are fuming about behind the-scenes negotiations involving ARU powerbrokers to prop up both the Force and Rebels. The relationship between one leading Super Rugby chief executive officer and ARU boss Bill Pulver is known to be very shaky. Pulver has for some relied heavily on support from certain Force and Rebels officials to shore up his very wonky power base. Now, according to those at the stronger Australian provinces, the link with the Force and Rebels has become "over the top"; they are especially suspicious over some proposed deals and Pulver's allies are diminishing by the minute."

http://www.espnscrum.com/australia/r...ry/269211.html

Have to say, I do worry that we are giving some folk ample ammunition to question our viability...

vCash
    IF this is true

1) I wouldnt be surprised about Pulver's wonky power base
    2) do the NSWRU & the QRU really expect their arguments will have any traction if they wanted to call us out for being given a leg up? the counters that would have to come from RWA and old mate who owns the rebels would be awesome (more specifically the latter as he is invested at a different level than RWA) Pot & Kettle kind of thing.

Either way, Growden when you read this please remember I still honestly don't think you can be objective if someone had a gun to your head

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Probably true, yes, but look at the majority of other countries in the World, when it comes to having a requirement to play in your local competition to play for the national team we are in the Minority, given that our sport is easily fourth in line for the public eye, I'd say we've done pretty well to hold out for so long!
    A quick look at the top tier nations:
    Australia - all but 2 of the 31-man RC squad are based in Australia
    New Zealand - all NZ based
    South Africa - all but 5 of their 31-man RC squad are based in SA
    England - WC training squad are all England based
    France - WC training squad are all French based
    Ireland - all but 1 of the WC training squad are Irish based (Paul O'Connell)
    Scotland - all but 12 of the 46-man WC training squad are from Glasgow or Edinburgh
    Wales - all but 13 of the 47-man WC training squad are from Welsh teams

I'm not sure if the English and French sides stipulate you have to play in the local competition (England I know has a get-out clause for 'exceptional circumstances', and I'm sure France have picked English-based players in the past) but three of the top sides only have local based players. We are now more like Ireland and South Africa where dispensation is given to pick some non-local players.
    But even Scotland and Wales have over 70% of players from their own local competition.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Ha Greg Growden- Diddums!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    A quick look at the top tier nations:
    Australia - all but 2 of the 31-man RC squad are based in Australia
    New Zealand - all NZ based
    South Africa - all but 5 of their 31-man RC squad are based in SA
    England - WC training squad are all England based
    France - WC training squad are all French based
    Ireland - all but 1 of the WC training squad are Irish based (Paul O'Connell)
    Scotland - all but 12 of the 46-man WC training squad are from Glasgow or Edinburgh
    Wales - all but 13 of the 47-man WC training squad are from Welsh teams
    Yeah, but that point doesn't change the assertion that I was making that NOBODY in the World has been squeaky clean in this. Like I said initially, even New Zealand (who currently enjoy a really strong provinicial competition and select all of their players from it have had their times where they've bent their own rules.

South Africa don't give a crap where their springboks play and both England and France have dabbled outside their local comps as well.

My point wasn't whether it's better to select locally based players, it was that everybody has played with their recruiting rules in tough times.

The French have the best approach, using their local competition to attract and residentially qualify great uncapped talent from anywhere in the World, is that the same?

(actually in hindsight it's pretty similar to New Zealand's use of the entire south pacific

C'mon the

vCash
    So based on what is here http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=3...722#post401722 we can expect that Morahan and Van Wyk will be part of the squad again next year if they are going to be featuring in the NRC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    So based on what is here http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=3...722#post401722 we can expect that Morahan and Van Wyk will be part of the squad again next year if they are going to be featuring in the NRC.
    Agreed, I think it will be good to have them both on board. Luke appears to have been a factor in Jono L and Ben T's decision to head this way.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    And when Liam Gill is out of contract next year Just watch the Force go after him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper1 View Post
    And when Liam Gill is out of contract next year Just watch the Force go after him.
    and we need a third rate flanker why?
    Ild expect Kane to get a full contract before we go after Gill

vCash
    Peter Grant to be announced real soon

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast