Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Contract Renewals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    He did! On several occasions Luke replaced Sias at 10.
    Beat me to it Dog

Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    Yeah sorry meant extended time. Given him a start and let him run the backline from the get go and see how the game unfolds with him at 10 in a couple of games in succession. Could that have been worse than Sias or Holmes?
    Well I think that's a double edged sword with a guy like Burton, sure he's enthusiastic and willing to play to the game plan, and a WA boy to boot, but there are a couple of things which I would point to that make it a smart idea to edge him in gradually.

First, the guys 90 kilos wringing wet, You'd really want him to add some more muscle before sending him out to the rigours of having the Ma'A Nonus of this world slamming into him for 80 minutes straight
    Second, he's a pup, we've all seen the burnout that can come from young players being given too much responsibility too fast (Quade, Kurtley, Rabbit) Sure the season was gone, but that's no excuse to break him just for the fun of it.
    Third, everything else was shit, do we really want to throw him in the deep end, as the golden-haired saviour of everything that is the force only to be routinely put on his ass by defenders who the forwards hadn't dealt with at the ruck before?

I'm not too unhappy with the exposure he got. It showed him a bit about the pace of the game without having him there so long that he went to water, and if they should have their hooks into a decent #1 option to show him the ropes, Burto should be groomed off the bench for two or three years with a view to having him pulling the reins for our first championship.

And nobody will have a clue who they're talking to at the moment, the Force are much better at keeping contracts quiet until it's time to announce them than any other franchise (possibly something we learned from the Geniagate affair)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Grant is getting on a bit now so probably not the best choice. He left La Rochelle for "family reasons" He has family here, his parents were here I think, but would he want to come here when his family home is Cape Town? He would have to be a marquee player and we already have those unless its true about Wilhelm. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Bandit is correct, it's true.

Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Champion
    vCash
    Not doubting any sauces just pondering whether we want a veteran and whether its the best option going forward. If there's nobody else and we need sombeody then he's as good as any and an old head may be useful in the short term but a word of caution. Remember what happened to our last veteran fly half from South Africa.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Out of all the Saffas bought in, Eberson, Steemkamp, Stander, Hieberg, Alcock,Van Wykes injured first up so can't be counted only Brache is the one who you could say was worth the time and money.
    Those that can't command a starting spot are a waste of resources. Heard there is more on the way, we better hope they are a bit better than this lot.
    You make statements like this, and you wonder why folk have a go at you and then whinge about it.

Player
    vCash
    Wasn't happy hearing about Zac. Not happy with this alleged news with Sias and Wilhelm.
    I hope it's all resolved positively and quickly.

I wonder how "fans" whinge and bitch about players and are then surprised why they leave and why it gets harder to recruit others.

The Chiefs weren't going so well a couple years back, but a crop of kids from the same neighbourhood came through the ranks and formed a tight-knit group with the majority of the town behind them.
    Suppose for a minute a huge and positive environment is created around the players by the rugby playing community (all of us, regardless of where the players are from or where you are from) an environment of 'we'll back you!'
    Only good things can come from that.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by G_Beard View Post
    You make statements like this, and you wonder why folk have a go at you and then whinge about it.
    Once upon a time a rugby team imported a whole lot of players and they exceeded all expectations and everyone lived happily ever after.
    Believe this one if it makes you feel better.
    It could be Martians the Force bought in and as long as they are up to scratch it doesn't matter where they come from but just because they are Saffas you think I have been insulting. Just as well I didn't mention the outstanding job and origin of the attack coach this season.
    Living in La La land and thinking everything is rosy and continuing to be in denial will set you up well for more of the same next season.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Wests Scarborough 1st Grade juggernaut has played finals rugby each and every year since its inception and continues this remarkable feat yet again this season and unbelievably it's still rolling on and as an added little circle jerk for the masses Wests actually hold the record for the current longest unbroken finals record.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by westies man View Post
    Once upon a time a rugby team imported a whole lot of players and they exceeded all expectations and everyone lived happily ever after.
    Believe this one if it makes you feel better.
    It could be Martians the Force bought in and as long as they are up to scratch it doesn't matter where they come from but just because they are Saffas you think I have been insulting. Just as well I didn't mention the outstanding job and origin of the attack coach this season.
    Living in La La land and thinking everything is rosy and continuing to be in denial will set you up well for more of the same next season.
    You make antagonising statements and play victim when someone calls you on it!
    Keep it up, it proves my point further.

Champion
    vCash
    This is a public forum where everybody is allowed to express their opinion. You call it antagonising statements whereas I merely speak what I think and after all I am entitled to my own view and didn't realise I had to get your approval before I posted.
    You are quite a patronising person with the victim comment thing so I'll tell you something for nothing junior, I might be heavily opinionated when it comes to rugby but your dismissive attitude reeks of nothing more than unbridled arrogance.
    Again the Saffas that were bought in did not achieve what we had hoped they would achieve. End of story.

Player
    vCash
    Lets all be realists and not live in a dreamworld. If we don't voice our concerns nothing changes. Positive change is a good thing. I'm there week in week out but I'd sure as shit rather be watching the team win than lose. Maybe that makes me selfish.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Wow! Wonder if Zack knew about Sias leaving before he signed for La Rochelle?!
    I wonder if there's anything on tha Twitterz?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Not seen anything Chibi

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Not doubting any sauces just pondering whether we want a veteran and whether its the best option going forward. If there's nobody else and we need sombeody then he's as good as any and an old head may be useful in the short term but a word of caution. Remember what happened to our last veteran fly half from South Africa.
    I think it a very good idea. We need a quality 10. Grant is a quality 10 with heaps of experience. He can start the season and show the pups how to play 10.

I also heard he has close family here. He is unlikely to be still on the Springbok radar, (therefore we can argue he's not marquee) so let's have him!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Have just seen that Munster have released Andrew Smith( ex Brumby )so there is your new centre

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    I think it a very good idea. We need a quality 10. Grant is a quality 10 with heaps of experience. He can start the season and show the pups how to play 10.

I also heard he has close family here. He is unlikely to be still on the Springbok radar, (therefore we can argue he's not marquee) so let's have him!
    It doesn't matter whether he is unwanted by the Boks. He was a Bok and therefore is a marquee ie: Alby.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Smith was/is a good player I was disappointed that we didn't pick him up prior to him leaving. Grants parents live in/around Ellenbrook last I heard, we have chased him prior but the stars didn't align maybe this time?

As far as imports go yeah some haven't turned out like we, the club and more then likely the players themselves had hoped.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast