Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Limited Tahs chances lead Lance to Force fold

Champion
    vCash

Limited Tahs chances lead Lance to Force fold

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian

Western Force have signed NSW Waratahs utility back Jono Lance for next season and are talking with powerful Wallabies and Queensland Reds centre Ben Tapuai.
    Lance, who joined the Waratahs from Queensland last year to bulk up their midfield and full-back stocks, was keen to build a future at 10 or 12 but has been behind players such as Bernard Foley, Kurtley Beale and Israel Folau.
    Lance, 24, started at full-back for Queensland when they won the 2011 Super Rugby final and is a competent kicker.
    His father, Dean Lance, was coach of the Perth Reds in the 1997 Super League season.
    The Force first chased Tapuai, 26, in 2012 after he played for the Wallabies in the 2011 tour of Britain. He has made seven international appearances.
    The club has made no secret of its search for a straight-running, tough-tackling midfielder and Tapuai can play inside and outside centre.
    He has also played fly-half, has some experience at full-back and has a good passing game and a handy left boot.
    There are indications from the Force’s last few games that they are looking at moving Luke Burton from centre to fly-half with Zack Holmes out of contract at the end of the season.
    It is expected the club will finalise Wallabies No.8 Ben McCalman’s contract next week.

http://twf.com.au/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=2

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Gee, Zack Holmes is really on the outer for some reason. I'd like to know what happened.

vCash
    Yes Reckon Zack has not really had a good run at developing to potential, would not like to see him go.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF1964 View Post
    Gee, Zack Holmes is really on the outer for some reason. I'd like to know what happened.
    Me too!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    And how good is the final sentence of that article?!!! Yee haa!

vCash
    Am i right in thinking we are looking at Jono for a possible solution to the No.10 position? Can he kick?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Yes Reckon Zack has not really had a good run at developing to potential, would not like to see him go.
    I wonder about that too. Does anybody else reckon that quite a few players have been treated in a similar fashion? I usually flog the same dead horses with this, but I think we've missed out on some talented players developing into something special.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Basha69 View Post
    Am i right in thinking we are looking at Jono for a possible solution to the No.10 position? Can he kick?
    I reckon their long term view will be Burton at number 10

vCash
    Hard to know, Burton is doing well at 12 and we can all see how much impact moving from 12 can have on a player's performance (Matt Giteau, Kyle Godwin...the list continues)

I know Burton to 10 and Kyle to 12 is logical, but it might not be best long-term. I think it'd be important to get a 10 of some value to come alongside the young WA resources we have available and make them fit.

Maybe the time has come for Alby's marquee contract to be closed down, since we have plenty of 9s who can step up to the level and start looking at a marquee 10 who can bring a similar level of professionalism and pressure to those who think they can have a crack.

Zack looks pretty good when running the footy (admittedly, he's not as good as he was a year ago) and Burto seems pretty complete. Sias will be Wallaby eligible soon (Next Year?) and likes to kick, but probably gets more pay out of running so what we need is somebody to take what we already have and make it suitable for the way we want to play.

If somebody could make Sias kick more accurately, I don't think we'd be as down on him kicking as much as we are now.
    If somebody could make Zack better at reading the field and making good decisions I think he'd be a live wire
    If somebody could support Burto and help him to make the transition without his brain exploding I think we'd have a long-term solution.

I want to see a world class number 10 who can control the game like Jonny Wilkinson, not a fourth string backup for the Tahs!

C'mon the

Apprentice
    vCash
    Lance has been brought in to replace Zack. Sias has a 3 year contract so will be going nowhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I want to see a world class number 10 who can control the game like Jonny Wilkinson, not a fourth string backup for the Tahs!
    Unfortunately while that is what we all want and desire the reality of it is that it will not happen.

There are few world class if any that are firstly currently available, secondly want to play for the Force, and most importantly that the Force have sufficient funds to entice them over, Japan and France have too much cash to spare and the weak dollar makes it even more problematical, only when we had a suspect benefactor (Firepower) could we entice world class players with enough bucks those days are long gone and with the WA economy in its current state it only remains a pipe dream to get players anywhere near world class, unless we make them and realistically only Hodgo and BennyMac in that category with Adam a future prospect and Kyle a possibility.

We need to move forward with what we can lay our hands on, yes Sias has faults but is the best available to us, Alby has been phenomenal for us and off the field is our only lilkey draw card to tap s bit of NZ talent on the fringes of other Super 15 extended squads as those in or close unlikley to choose us.

I think Jono and Tapaui would be good fits as they appear to hard workers and fit the culture being developed, we need to get realise our recruitment team are doing the best in a very uneven market with the odds stacked against them, whatever they achieve we need to laud them and be mindful of what they are achieving

With only one under 20 wallaby this year talent pool not as strong as last year locally and they have to think outside the square

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Not saying you're wrong Tazz, but it still doesn't make me happy that we are satisfied with being the also rans with recruitment.

C'mon the

vCash
    Not sure it's that we are satisfied GIGS; more that we have to be realistic. Much as WE think WA is worth living and working in, many who didn't grow up here do not. 😪

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    Lance has been brought in to replace Zack. Sias has a 3 year contract so will be going nowhere.
    Wow really? That's a bit unfortunate. I thought there's still room to improve and develop for Holmes. Dunno whether the same can be said for Sias. Ah well...

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Hey, great...lets buy the dregs of Australian rugby.

Controversy corner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast