Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why David Pocock should be Wallaby No 7

vCash

Why David Pocock should be Wallaby No 7

Currently holidaying in Europe and couldn't sleep last night so checked the latest stats re Aussie No 7s.

As I'm not at home I haven't been collecting Ruck Stats data so these are the same as before.
    I have no 2015 SuperRugby ruck stats for Hodgo.

The following stats are from the Vodacom App. In my view consistently reliable and they generally agree with those on Rugby Heaven, Super Rugby and ESPN. Fox Rugby stats blow out Carry Metres so I don't use them.

Attachment 3809

Comments:

1. Michael Hooper only leads in ball carries. He is generally behind in all other stats.

2. Hodgo has the worst ball carry stats.

3. Liam Gill is behind in Tackling and misses the most tackles per game. Hooper is not far behind in tackles missed.

4. Pocock and Hodgo have similar tackling stats.

5. Lineouts are not highly relevant for No 7s but good to have them as a surprise option. Pocock and Hooper used in every 3rd game. Gill in every 5th game. Hodgo is no longer being used in LO (Maybe he's just tired of being dropped so often or the WF has many taller options). However, we know how reliable he can be.

6. Pocock and Hodgo have similar Turn Over rates. Gill not far behind. All average around 2 TOW per game.

7. Hooper is close to averaging a TOW every 2 games.

8. Hodgo has been averaging 1.5 Penalties per game but Hoffman's efforts (4 against the Tahs) has blown his numbers out for his 3 games. He is the most penalised No 7 - but maybe that comes from his level of involvement. Hodgo drew no penalties in the 2014 EOY games in England.

Attachment 3810

Comments:

1. Pocock's stats are only from his first 2 games back. But clearly his rucking efforts ahead of the others.

2. We know that Hodgo is generally at the same level as Pocock in ruck stats.

3. Gill has strong involvement in Defensive Rucks - hence his TOW.

4. Hooper has the least Ruck involvement in Defensive Rucks.

Wallaby Selection?

In my opinion, the match statistics show that the Wallaby No 7 should be selected in the following order:

1. David Pocock.
    2. Matt Hodgson.
    3. Michel Hooper.

Liam Gill misses out as his performance is generally below those above.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 15-05-15 at 15:24.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    I'm sorry but anybody that goes out to deliberately get arrested as part of a protest should not be a Wallaby.

David Pocock needs to make a choice. Is he a Rugby player or a political activist?

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    I concur with that order for Wallaby selection but I'm sure Hooper will weasel his way above Hodgo.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    regardless of how I personally feel about Pococks political leanings
    Why are these two things mutually exclusive Ex?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MI5_Dog View Post
    regardless of how I personally feel about Pococks political leanings
    Why are these two things mutually exclusive Ex?
    Because when he got arrested it made the news. And if the report had said D.Pocock 28 of Canberra was arrested and charged with trespass etc I would be fine and no problem.

BUT the report said Former Wallaby Captain David Pocock was arrested and charged. Plus add in the fact that by chaining himself to what ever he chained himself too- he knew that he was going to be arrested.

How is that good for Australian Rugby?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

Senior Player
    vCash
    I suppose so ex. But at least he wasn't shown to be pissing on some ones car and then being privvy to the mugs that trashed the car as well.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    or steal a laptop

vCash
    I agree but Pocock has also done some amazing things for the community which would cancel out being arrested. Not sure any of the others who have been arrested could say the same! And they still play for the Wallabies

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Yeah I see where you're coming from X, but I think that given the other transgressions other wallaby members have committed. He still deserves a spot.

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    just to make sure everyone understands exactly where I am coming from.

public urination or the alleged theft of a laptop were the actions of stupidity and/or alcohol.

Pocock drove 630km to chain himself to mining equipment. and he said at the time "he was aware he was likely to be arrested before joining the protest."

here

Exile
    Sydney

vCash
    Hi Exile are you saying he is unfit for Wallaby selection due to bringing the game into disrepute?

vCash
    Not sure I can agree with you either Exile.

While it is not necessarily "good" publicity (depending on your view of the protest in question), I would say that it is a long way off bringing the game into disrepute.

He was making a peaceful political stand for a cause that he felt was important. No doubt he also used his public profile as former Wallaby captain to further that cause, as I am sure he has done for many other causes (big and small).

I think this is a good reflection on his character and ability as a leader, Wallaby or not.

Do we really want our players to be one dimensional athletes who either don't have any thoughts/opinions of their own, or alternatively are not allowed to air them publicly?

vCash
    Even though he deliberately broke the law, which was silly, I still contrast that with Kurtley Beale. After doing that, I really have no problem with David Pocock.

In the back of my mind though, the only thing I'd worry about is that platitudinous people, usually due to self-esteem issues, have a great deal of trouble shaking off the habit of looking for platitudes. When he's playing the game, you'd want him to be focussing on the game, not focussing on where he can get his next platitude from. It would be unfortunate if the game was on a knife-edge and the Wallabies needed him to focus on the match, but he was too busy trying to listen to fans in the crowd, or other players on the field, or TV staff working around the pitch, in case they might make a politically incorrect slur or gesture.

I'm not saying that rugby is more important than those issues in the overall scheme of things, but certainly as someone being paid to play, other issues can be put aside for just those 80 minutes; it's something you owe to your team-mates, fans and the rugby community who got you to the point where you attained a level of celebrity which you can now use to champion those causes in the public eye.

I would hope Pocock is above that, if not, then HODGO FOR WALLABY CAPTAIN

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 16-05-15 at 18:16.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    In responce to your comments Chibi, I think Pocock puts 80 minutes in every time, he's comes across as intelligent, ethical and appears to have a good moral compass. I would rather my son look up to a player like that than the K.Beale, K.Hunt and JOC's of the game.

He is focused on the game, his comments to the Ref during the Tahs game were made on the field at the time of the incident and left on the field by him, the ARU took the issue up after that, there was no complaint by him after the game as far as i am aware.

In my opinion to compare him to Kurtly Beale is wrong.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    interesting those stats on gill at the bottom of the 7 pack. Reds fans seem to think he should be picked in front of pocock or hooper he is that good. I think it's a bit strange.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast