Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How are Perth Spirit looking as the Canberra Vikings have a new coach

Champion
    vCash

How are Perth Spirit looking as the Canberra Vikings have a new coach

Any draws out yet? The NRC should start on the 27th of August

Nothing on http://www.rugbywa.com.au/perth-spirit

Brad Harris, Tuggers Vikings coach will be coach of the Canberra Vikings in the Buildcorp Cup in 2015
    http://www.brumbies.com.au/ucvikings/Home.aspx

The UC Vikings have started preparations for the 2015 Buildcorp National Rugby Championships (NRC) season with Canberra local Brad Harris named as Head Coach this week.

Brumbies Forwards Coach and 2014 UC Vikings Head Coach, Dan McKellar, will move to the new role of Director of Rugby for the Brumbies, in the absence of Brumbies World Cup bound Head Coach, Stephen Larkham. As Director of Rugby McKellar will provide additional support for Harris and oversee the UC Vikings program, while also managing the off-season program for the Brumbies.

“Local club coaches were invited to submit their interest to be involved in our 2015 NRC program, with five prospect candidates interviewed,” McKellar said.

“Brad is an experienced coach who has the proven ability to run a professional rugby program and achieve results.”
    Harris said he was excited by the opportunity to expand his coaching career in the NRC.

“Having been involved in the program last year as Assistant Coach I am really looking forward to stepping up and taking on more responsibility in the role as Head Coach. I am looking forward to working alongside Dan and the professional rugby environment that comes with working so close to the Brumbies rugby program.”

“In the inaugural year of the competition last year the UC Vikings finished up a disappointing sixth overall. We have a talented pool of players in the ACT and I am excited about working with the players from the region to improve on last year’s results and make the finals in 2015.”

Along with McKellar and Harris, former Brumbies and Gungahlin Eagles prop, Dan Palmer will feature as forward’s coach while Wests Craig Robberds takes control of the backs.

•Dan McKellar – Director of Rugby
    •Brad Harris – Head Coach
    •Craig Robberds – Backs Coach
    •Dan Palmer – Forwards Coach
    •Christos Argus – S&C Coach

The UC Vikings took further steps towards the season in also naming a provisional training squad of 39 players, which will be cut to 19 once Super Rugby and Wallabies players have been allocated.
    Squad training begins for the UC Vikings on May 20, with the final squad to be announced on August 4.
    UC Vikings Clubs Training squad: Andrew Barrell, Andrew Robinson, Connal McInerney, Cuan Hablutzel, Dan Penca, Darcy Eason, Dave McKern, Dean Oakman-Hunt, Drew Southwell, Ernest Suavai, Gareth Clouston, Harry Burrey, Harry Lloyd, Isaac Thompson, Jake Rakic, Jerome Niumata, Joe Powell, Jordan Jackson-Hope, JP Pretorious, Keith Morgan, Michael Henry, Michael Oakman-Hunt, Michael Smith, Mitch Douch, Montanna O'Neill, Neori Nadruku, OJ Noa, Phil Kite, Ray Dobson, Rob Buaserau, Rowan Perry, Rutikha Ilolahia, Senio Teleofoa, Sione Taula, Steve Sione, Tim Cornforth, Tim Cree, Toby Wilson, Tyrell Lomax.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    So it looks like Spirit's schedule (with a couple of blanks to be filled in) will be:

20/8 A Brisbane City
    29/8 H North Harbour Rays
    05/9 A Sydney Stars
    12/9 H University of Canberra Vikings
    19/9 A Queensland Country
    26/9 H Melbourne Rising
    ?/10 H NSW Country Eagles
    ?/10 A Greater Sydney Rams
    Rd.9 BYE

Any rumours on the home venues for this year - or are they all played at McGillivray?

vCash
    Genuinely looking forward to this competition.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Awesome. A game over here this year!

Player
    vCash
    Looking forward to the Comp as well. But if I was Kyle Godwin I would be looking for another Club to play Super Rugby next year. With the last 3 years of rugby under Foley he has gone from being a probable Wallaby, end of season injuries stopped his selection, to not being mentioned in an extended training squad.
    Time to move on son.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I think making Kyle play at 13 virtually all season when it was clear from early on that it wasn't working has ruined his Wallaby chances for this year.

Agree with GiGS that we are lucky to have anyone besides Benny Mac in the training squad. I'm wondering if Nick is there for his personality and marketing draw as much as anything else to be honest.

And don't even get me started on Hunt, Fainga'a, JOC and Horwill....

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I disagree with you Choice, he got there under the same coach and his status as probable wallaby was a bit premature.... I doubt that Foley asks him to do his little grubbers. I agree that moving him at 13 has been a failure but he still has not shown much brillance in his attacking or defensive skills which cant be attributed to his coach.... Hopefully he will have a good NRC and show us that he is worth having been a Wallaby probable before his injury.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham105 View Post

Any rumours on the home venues for this year - or are they all played at McGillivray?
    Most if not all will be at McGillvray, will confirmed real soon

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Most if not all will be at McGillvray, will confirmed real soon
    Good stuff.

I think McGillvray was the best of the grounds last year in terms of viewing the game and attracting the most people.

The thing it doen't have is a covered grandstand but otherwise it's a good rugby option.

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yungfen View Post
    I disagree with you Choice, he got there under the same coach and his status as probable wallaby was a bit premature.... I doubt that Foley asks him to do his little grubbers. I agree that moving him at 13 has been a failure but he still has not shown much brillance in his attacking or defensive skills which cant be attributed to his coach.... Hopefully he will have a good NRC and show us that he is worth having been a Wallaby probable before his injury.
    Unlike some others on this forum I don't get upset when others disagree with me, I respect their opinion.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham105 View Post
    Good stuff.

I think McGillvray was the best of the grounds last year in terms of viewing the game and attracting the most people.

The thing it doen't have is a covered grandstand but otherwise it's a good rugby option.
    And before everyone starts banging on about UWA getting all the proceeds, my understanding is that all "profits" will be split across the board.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by choice View Post
    Unlike some others on this forum I don't get upset when others disagree with me, I respect their opinion.
    Choice , I am by no means upset and simply voicing my opinion which in short is that Kyle simply has not shown much this year (perhaps out of position only time will tell). If I do get upset my selection of words would be very different.....

Champion
    vCash
    Should get to see a couple of games before we go on holiday

vCash
    It would be great to the roadshow of taking games to Joondalup & Lark Hill as well as the obvious central venue ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    It would be great to the roadshow of taking games to Joondalup & Lark Hill as well as the obvious central venue ...
    If people actually show up this time around...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast