Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why the Wallabies need Western Force's Matt Hodgson in a Rugby World Cup year

vCash

Why the Wallabies need Western Force's Matt Hodgson in a Rugby World Cup year

A game-breaking performance from Force captain Matt Hodgson made it abundantly clear how valuable the "old man of Australian rugby" is to the Wallabies this year.

Despite a glut of quality No. 7s around the country, including David Pocock, Michael Hooper and Liam Gill, the 34-year-old is shaping as an integral part of Test coach Michael Cheika's World Cup plans.

And if the "bump" on Hooper's knee should develop into something more worrisome for the Wallabies in coming weeks, it could be Hodgson – not a younger, faster model such as Gill – who is called upon in England in less than five months' time.

"Matt's a point-of-difference player but also a point-of-difference leader … People play 10 per cent better when he's there," Force coach and World Cup-winning former Wallabies hooker Michael Foley said.

"There's no surprise that having him back, the three games he's been back we've scored four tries in two of them and won one. He's our impact player, but he does that through leadership as well as his skills."

Hodgson and five teammates – No. 8 Ben McCalman, winger Nick Cummins, centre Kyle Godwin, prop Pek Cowan and hooker Nathan Charles – fronted the penultimate Wallabies' morning-after session with Cheika and their NSW stablemates in Perth on Sunday morning

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/au...10-ggy8ux.html

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Great game, Fucken battled right through to the 80!

vCash
    GOOD ON HODGO..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Surely Hooper is way out of contention for the 7 spot on this years form.

Anyone notice the Hooper clone on the Tahs bench

vCash
    Your signature really sums up Saturday's game in a nutshell Dom!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeansyjive View Post

He should be, but if they're considering him for captain he must be first pick for 7! The crusty old farts at St Leonards will ensure it is so! 😡

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    He should be, but if they're considering him for captain he must be first pick for 7! The crusty old farts at St Leonards will ensure it is so! 😡
    I really doubt that. Pocock only has to continue his forn and stay injury free and it will be impossible not to have him as starting 7. He's light years ahead at the breakdown and is carrying well too. Moore should retain the armband he wore prior to injury. Listening to Cheika, you'd think he has Hodgo in front for back up skipper and 7.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Champion
    vCash
    Cheika on Hodgo from Saturday's West
    I will stay the course: Foley
    Nick Taylor
    Western Force coach Michael Foley has vowed to stick around and fight despite the team having its worst season ever.
    Signed until the end of 2017 and having taken the Force to their best season last year, Foley has the backing of his players and the RugbyWA board.
    But the numbers don’t lie.
    The Force started the season with a spirited win over the Waratahs in Sydney, only to lose the 10 matches since. They are anchored at the foot of the Super Rugby table.
    Foley hopes to ease the strain and salvage something from the wreckage by snapping the losing sequence in tonight’s clash with the Waratahs at nib Stadium.
    Force captain Matt Hodgson also has plenty to prove against Michael Hooper in the battle for the Australian No.7 jumper in front of Wallabies coach Michael Cheika.
    Foley said there had been no discussions about his future.
    “I’m as determined as I’ve ever been,” he said.
    “Hanging on for the sake of tenure is a waste of time. I’m not overly concerned about that.
    “I certainly feel like the relationship with the players is strong. I’m singularly focused on getting this team to play as well as it can.
    “I’m very positive about the way we’re tackling things. We’re honest with each other, we’re not having cuddles in the corners. I’ve seen groups under less pressure fracture. I feel a lot of pressure to deliver for the people that have supported us and supported me.”
    Cheika said ownership of the Wallabies No.7 jumper was far from clear-cut despite the hype surrounding Hooper and Brumbies flanker David Pocock.
    He said Hodgson, who has already made four turnovers, scored two tries and averaged 10 tackles and 40 run metres in his two games since returning from a major hamstring injury sustained in the pre-season, was definitely in his World Cup plans.
    “I hold Matt in high regard. I gave him the captaincy on tour last year (against the Barbarians). You don’t do that lightly,” Cheika said.
    “He made an impact on his return. He slipped straight back in, crafty at the breakdown and a danger to any side.
    “He’s going to be coming in at the right time of the season. He’s going to be fresh. I’ll definitely consider having him in the Wallabies leadership group.”

Foley said Hodgson was the ideal openside flanker.
    “Matt is exceptional. He defends tough and attacks smart,” Foley said.
    “Some of his ball carrying and passing ... he’s a pretty complete No.7 with a hell of a lot of experience.
    “His leadership going into a World Cup season is crucial. The influence he has over other people is difficult to measure but it is unquestionable.”

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

I did, but thats easy for me. I sit near the runout spot

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Haha - yeah. I had to look a couple of times to realise it wasn't him.

coz Stone Cold says so

Senior Player
    vCash
    A world cup is nothing like super rugby. Especially against teams like Wales and England they will probably be dour forward dominated games. You need players like Pocock and Hodgo and not seagulls like Hoopers, Higgers etc. Toomua should also play 10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    I really doubt that. Pocock only has to continue his forn and stay injury free and it will be impossible not to have him as starting 7. He's light years ahead at the breakdown and is carrying well too. Moore should retain the armband he wore prior to injury. Listening to Cheika, you'd think he has Hodgo in front for back up skipper and 7.
    Seconded.

All Pocock has to do is stay on the paddock.

vCash
    cheika stays with what he knows. Hooper has 7 and the captain's armband tattooed on him no matter how well pocock plays. The systems at the wallatahs are the same. ditto for Foley at 10 and beale at 12.

Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    HODGO FOR WALLABY CAPTAIN

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Wouldn't that set the cat among the pigeons in the east! 😂

vCash
    I should make that my new signature

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast