By Fraser Smith

Hooker Heath Tessmann will be in line to notch up his 50th Asteron Life Super Rugby cap when the Western Force take on the NSW Waratahs at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) on Saturday night.

Now in his third season with the Force, the hard-working rake has been a hugely valuable player for the club since his arrival in 2013.

Tessmann says he is excited to have the opportunity to reach the milestone this weekend.

“Personally, I’m very proud to have reached 50 games, particularly having been a later starter to professional game, getting my first contract at 25,” he said.

“It’s probably something I didn’t think would happen but being able to do it here with a good group of mates is something I’m really stoked with.

“Looking back, coming from where I’ve been to where I am now, I’m very happy.”

The 30-year-old has taken a long journey to reach his Super Rugby half century. Born in Ayr in Queensland, Tessmann began his rugby career progressing through the Queensland junior ranks, representing the state at Under 16, Under 19 and Schoolboy level before also representing the Australian Schoolboys.

Tessmann continued to pay his dues in Queensland club rugby representing his club side University of Queensland and winning premierships in the Colts and Reserve Grade before winning the Hospital Challenge Cup with the University of Queensland’s 1st grade side in 2010.

Off the back of his fine form in club rugby, Tessmann signed on with the Melbourne Rebels for their inaugural season in 2011. After making his debut against the Waratahs in Round 1 of the 2011 Super Rugby season, Tessmann went on to earn another nine Asteron Life Super Rugby caps over two seasons.

In 2013 the industrious hooker moved West and signed a short-term contract with the Western Force – one that was quickly extended.

Having been in line for a possible Wallaby call-up last year before an ankle injury sustained in the Buildcorp National Rugby Championship ended that hope, Tessmann has again been plying his trade with aplomb, providing an impact off the bench for the Force, including scoring his maiden Asteron Life Super Rugby try against the Chiefs a fortnight ago.

“It’s funny, these milestones sort of creep up on you,” he said. “When you’re starting out you just want to play as well for as long as you can.

“It was actually my mum who mentioned it to me the other day, asking when it was coming up, so it’s been a nice little surprise.”

Tessmann says he’s pleased to be able to reach 50 matches at home in front of the Sea of Blue.

“For us team-wise, we just need to start well and show the attitude and the respect for the jersey that we’ve worked so hard to get over the last three years,” he said.

“We’ve been inconsistent in our performances this year, which has been frustrating both for us and our supporters, but if we come off the field this week knowing that we’ve given our all and we’ve represented the jersey well, we know we can get the result we’re after.”

- See more at: http://www.westernforce.com.au/artic....1cjdoVe5.dpuf