Thread: Gregan backs Wallabies to win World Cup

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Gregan backs Wallabies to win World Cup

Darren Walton
    May 6, 2015, 6:32 am

Unfazed by their lowly ranking or so-called Group of Death, former Wallabies captain George Gregan believes "with a bit of lady luck" Australia can win the Rugby World Cup.

Two-time Cup winners, Australia are currently languishing at No.6 in the world, their lowest standing since rankings were introduced in 2003.

But none of this matters to Gregan, who is backing coach Michael Cheika to provide the Wallabies with the necessary edge to overcome the odds in Britain.

"There's always hope with Australian teams," Gregan told AAP.

Australia's most-capped player and a 1999 World Cup winner, Gregan believes the Wallabies will be battle-hardened and primed for the knockout stages once they survive the pool stages.

In a defining week in October, the Wallabies tackle England and Wales on successive Saturdays at Twickenham.

"I like the pool," Gregan said as he paraded the Webb Ellis Cup around Sydney Harbour as an ambassador for Emirates Airline.

"It's great to play tough rugby at a World Cup, at least one or two tough pool matches to prepare you for what's ahead.

"Because what's ahead of you is three knockout games and you've got to be prepared for that because the quarter-final is probably the most difficult game in a Rugby World Cup.

"It doesn't matter what your squad looks like on paper, if you're a little bit off emotionally or technically or you're maybe ahead of yourself in a quarter-final, then you don't continue.

"History shows that occurs quite a lot in World Cups."

Gregan said it was critical to peak at the business end of the seven-week tournament and pointed to France's history of dropping pool games yet qualifying for three World Cup finals as evidence.

But he admitted peaking come finals time was easier said than done.

"If everyone knew the key, there'd be a lot more winners on that trophy. It's not that easy," Gregan said.

Above all, Gregan says the team that lifts the trophy will have benefited from refereeing decisions, flashes of individual brilliance and luck with injuries.

"Any team who has won the World Cup and said they didn't get a bit of luck along the way, I think they've got pretty short memories," he said.

"In 1999, we were a chance of missing out and then Stephen Larkham kicks a field goal (in the semi-final). I think he kicked two in his whole career.

"Jonny Wilkinson did what he did against us in 2003, but England could have been out the back door against Wales in a quarter-final.

"And again last World Cup, New Zealand beat France 8-7 (in the final). It was a penalty kick by (Francois) Trinh-Duc, who could have knocked it over from 45 metres out and it's a different ball game.

"So you need a bit of luck along the way. You need a good, healthy squad and you need incredible belief and preparation, that's for sure.

"But a bit of lady luck always helps."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...win-world-cup/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    lol

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Player
    vCash
    This year as a Force supporters has well prepared me to watch the Wallabies vs Wales and England at Twickenham. Walking out of the stadium head down and bitterly disappointed has been well practiced.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    can I have some of what George is on?

Champion
    vCash
    he says as much in this interview as well

http://media.skyracing.com.au/POD/1/hn7Fex.mp3