Thread: Polota-Nau could quit if concussed again

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Polota-Nau could quit if concussed again

Adrian Warren
    May 4, 2015, 10:14 am

Wallabies hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau says he will consider retiring or taking a long break from rugby union, if he suffers another bad head knock.

Polota-Nau, who has a history of concussions, was forced off after copping a head knock in the opening of the NSW Waratahs' Super Rugby win over the Brumbies in Canberra on Friday night.

Polota-Nau could quit if concussed again

Polota-Nau said he on Monday he felt great, though he will have to go through concussion protocols before being cleared to play against Western Force in Perth this weekend.

"If I were to get another head knock I probably will have to consider taking either a long stint off, even hanging up the boots," Polota-Nau told AAP.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ncussed-again/

He missed two games earlier this season after being concussed in a match.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Give it up mate; it's just not worth it.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I agree, the concussion that he suffered in the Brumbies game made it look as though he's getting rattled by dropping his head on the pillow at night.

HE needs to think about his health, rather than trying to meet some imagined milestone.

C'mon the

vCash
    His kamikaze tackling style has lead him to this point. He needs to think about where he will be and what state he will be in in 10 years and give it up.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    If he was a boxer,his licence would have been revoked by now

Champion
    vCash
    Sad

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Polota-Nau out again with concussion

By Darren Walton
    May 6, 2015, 12:42 pm

Tatafu Polota-Nau has been ruled out of the NSW Waratahs' Super Rugby clash with the Western Force on Saturday amid growing concerns for the Wallaby hooker's long-term health and future in the game.

Polota-Nau was concussed early in the Waratahs' victory over the Brumbies last Friday, little more than a month after missing several weeks of action because of a head knock suffered at training.

The 29-year-old has a history of head-related injuries and earlier this week said he may have to consider hanging up the boots if he was concussed again.

"There's more to life than just rugby," Polota-Nau told AAP.

Waratahs assistant coach Nathan Grey confirmed on Wednesday that Polota-Nau would miss this week's trip to Perth and be carefully monitored before being cleared for any comeback.

"He's out. He's no good," Grey said.

Super Rugby's governing body SANZAR beefed up its laws around concussions this year, moving in line with the IRB's protocols, with independent doctors given more power to prevent players from returning to the field after undergoing sideline testing.

Concussed players also have to pass a series of strict tests the following week before being allowed to resume playing.

"It's a good system," Grey said.

Polota-Nau has also undergone a series of brain scans this year and long-time Waratahs and Wallabies teammate Benn Robinson applauded the 50-Test veteran for taking his health seriously.

"For me, I'm more worried about a mate because we've seen players retire in recent years," Robinson said.

"You can look at some of the many studies coming out of the NFL and players committing suicide post their careers. It's a scary thing.

"So for me, it's a concern for a mate because I've been playing with Taf since I was 15 and to see, I don't know, like 12 concussions for him in recent years, it's a major concern."

Feeling like he has "unfinished business in rugby", Polota-Nau says taking a long break or retiring from the game would be a wrench.

But Robinson said Polota-Nau needed to be careful.

"It comes back to player welfare and making sure he's not putting himself in an adverse position for the rest of his life," Robinson said.

"We're here (as players) for luckily 10 or 12 years. We've still got a lot of time left in the world, so you don't want to be compromised for the rest of your life."

Although Waratahs head coach Michael Cheika is yet to name his side to tackle the Force, Grey said Tolu Latu had already proven himself a more than capable replacement for Polota-Nau.

"He's been outstanding. Even with Tatafu being fit the week prior to the Brumbies game, Tolu was getting picked in front of him," Grey said.

"So we've got absolute confidence in him to be really able to contribute to the way we play.

"He's got a great skill set, his set piece is excellent and he's someone who is really contributing to the team in a positive way."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...th-concussion/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    TPN should change his name to Reggie Ray.