Thread: Force send SOS for scrum-half

Champion
    vCash

Force send SOS for scrum-half

Just saw this. Anyone have an update on Alby?

Nick Taylor
    The West Australian

Michael Foley could be forced call up local scrum-half Justin Turner for next Saturday's Super Rugby clash with the Blues in Auckland.

Foley's No.9 stocks are depleted with Ian Prior facing suspension after being red-carded for a dangerous tackle in the 35-27 loss to championship favourites Chiefs last night.

Former All Black Alby Mathewson did not travel to New Zealand after injuring his ankle against the Stormers last weekend and if he does not recover Foley will be left with just Ryan Louwrens who made his debut against the Chiefs.

Turner, currently playing with Perth club Associates, has had an injury-ravaged career. He made only 10 Force appearances after his 2010 debut, needing three major operations and suffering a fourth serious injury to his right knee.

Foley may also have to bring in prop Guy Millar after Ollie Hoskins damaged his right ankle late in last night's game and find a replacement for second-rower Adam Coleman who injured his right shoulder.

Eastwood prop Millar has been training with the Force since Francois van Wyk picked up a season-ending pectoral muscle injury against the Reds.

Foley said he was "massively proud" of his side's Herculean effort, playing more than 50 minutes with 14 men after Prior's dismissal for a tip tackle on Chiefs winger Tim Nanai-Williams.
    "When we lost Ian we went into a tailspin for 5-10 minutes. We gathered ourselves and what the guys did with 14 men on the field was pretty special," Foley said.
    "Once they re-gathered themselves I thought the character they showed was phenomenal.
    "We could have actually stolen a victory which was amazing. They were gutted because they didn't win but the mood was positive.
    "They are proud and they are fighting."
    Captain Matt Hodgson, who scored one of his side's four tries, said players had tapped into deep reserves.

“Its tough playing with 14 men but the way the boys dug in when we were behind by 20 points, we kept firing,” Hodgson said.

“We’ve got nothing to lose. We just had to front up.

“We’ve still got a lot to play for no matter where we are in the season. We’re just going to play for each other.”

The Force have now lost nine straight, equalling their worst ever losing streak from the 2006 debut season, but the scoreboard did not tell the true story as an undermanned and outgunned side produced a truly gutsy effort.

It was a courageous display illustrated by the Force matching the Chiefs' four tries.The Chiefs line had only previously been crossed eight times in nine games this year.

The Force battled back from a 22-point deficit, won the second half 19-12, picked up a bonus point, and came close to a second bonus when a late Luke Burton conversion slipped past the post.

When Prior was red carded the result seemed almost inevitable but the Force had other ideas. Unfortunately endeavour alone does not win matches, particularly against such a form side as the Chiefs and the chasm between the two was too great, no matter how hard the Force scrapped.

Foley was forced to make a quick decision after Prior's dismissal and replaced try scorer and blind side flanker Angus Cottrell with Louwrens.

It was a risky call as it depowered the set piece, making the scrum particularly vulnerable, yet they did not disintegrate. Too many wayward line-outs did add to their woes.

Before losing Prior the Force had made an enterprising start, intent on running the ball, but they were up against the exceptional defensive line speed of the Chiefs.

The Chiefs grabbed an early lead with a penalty from fly-half Marty McKenzie, quickly erased by one from Burton.

The Force took the lead with Cottrell's try but Burton’s conversion hit the post.

McKenzie narrowed the gap with his second penalty before Charlie Ngatai went over, converted, and McKenzie added his third penalty before the break.

Chiefs hooker Hika Elliott increased the lead with a converted try, and the Chiefs were awarded a penalty try before the Force comeback started.

Luke Morahan finished off a fantastic length-of-the-field effort and Hodgson adding his from a rolling maul. Both were converted.

Nanai-Williams grabbed the Chief's bonus point try but the Force were still done done and hooker Heath Tessmann grabbed his side’s fourth.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...or-scrum-half/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    It would be good to see Turner get another chance at this level. Failing that, do we start to look at continuing the development of Angus Taylor?

I imagine Steenkamp into the starting line-up for Coleman. Would like to see RHP come onto the bench as a lock or 6 replacement.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I am all for RHP to the bench Louwrens. to start Sad for Ollie but give Guy Millar a shot... Nothing to loose the only difference is points on the board as we loosing now so treat this as a start for next season and tell the debutants that they are training for starting spots next yr like the carrot in front of a donkey and I think you be amazed what could happen...

Foley and the coaches just list any fit player in the squad to play in their respective position... Nothing to loose but I think we all be surprised my $5 bucks worth

vCash
    Ian Prior has been suspended for 3 weeks.

How is your ankle Uncle? We need you. :-(

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Just checked- Angus Taylor was the starting scrumhalf against Singapore. It'd be good for him as he might be next in line for the Aus U20s if one of the other 9s goes down.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.