Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 9...... 9 on the trott, how does one stop the f%#king rot?

Red Carded
    vCash
    Sorry Mac its a business these days and if you can't get it right in business you are moved unceremoniously without thought
    Within sport you do have a certain grace period which has well and truely passed
    We only need look at the dockers when it comes to loyalty with a coach but with success all has been forgotten
    This player group have proven they can be competitive but inconsistency is the major problem
    This is a attitude and cultural issue which starts with the coach

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm not so sure it's all down to Foley. As I've said before, I think we need good attack coach. Too many games this year our game plan has been limited. A decent fly-half, one that can get his backline working, would also help.

Champion
    vCash
    What a difference ten games make. I miss the positivity of last season!! I am not sure what the answer is but I doubt there will be to many world class coaches applying for the job! I will be there Saturday shouting for my team and hoping for a gutsy effort from the boys..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzy View Post
    What we need is a club clean out, Bring some different coaches in some more money to attracted some high rated players.
    Since the three coaches have all recently signed for another two years, money doesn't grow on trees, and the ARU doesn't give a toss about growing the game in WA, this ain't gonna happen.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    Since the three coaches have all recently signed for another two years, money doesn't grow on trees, and the ARU doesn't give a toss about growing the game in WA, this ain't gonna happen.
    There are other overseas options...

Hasta la vista Pam

vCash
    We've already tried that though BB - it didn't work either. The fact is that no coaches or players who are at the top of their game want to come to WA. We are too isolated, our population is too small and those in a position of influence (the ARU) are not prepared to give us the backing we need as it doesn't make sound business sense.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I honestly don't ever see a WA rugby franchise being anything more than 'also rans'. I can accept that so long as the team (players & coaches) we do have are giving it their absolute best shot and not taking the piss.

With so many basic ball-handling errors, so many missed tackles, and a one-dimensional game plan week in week out, are they giving it their absolute best shot or taking the piss?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    We've already tried that though BB - it didn't work either. The fact is that no coaches or players who are at the top of their game want to come to WA. We are too isolated, our population is too small and those in a position of influence (the ARU) are not prepared to give us the backing we need as it doesn't make sound business sense.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I honestly don't ever see a WA rugby franchise being anything more than 'also rans'. I can accept that so long as the team (players & coaches) we do have are giving it their absolute best shot and not taking the piss.

With so many basic ball-handling errors, so many missed tackles, and a one-dimensional game plan week in week out, are they giving it their absolute best shot or taking the piss?
    I'm not sure if they're taking the piss deliberately. But one thing is for sure, they would struggle in the ITM or Curry Cup at this stage.

The Mitch experiment failed, but to be fair you also had blokes who got ripped off left right and centre by Tim Johnson. Did Gits actually ever get paid? I think this is one of the reasons the team just didn't gel. Resentment.

I think that the tag of 'also rans' is unfortunate and is probably accurate. But this is unacceptable. Foley has to go, just use a club coach for the rest of the season. Tell the cattle if they don't win games for now on contracts will be torn up and their rugby careers will most probably be flushed too.

The tag of Also Rans is completely unacceptable. This crap needs to stop right now.

vCash
    Do you honestly see a WA-based franchise ever reaching a S15 final? The tag 'also rans' may be harsh, but so is the cold hard truth. We will never be the destination of choice for the best players and coaches in the comp. for a whole host of reasons. We have to accept that.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    What a difference ten games make. I miss the positivity of last season!! I am not sure what the answer is but I doubt there will be to many world class coaches applying for the job! I will be there Saturday shouting for my team and hoping for a gutsy effort from the boys..
    I miss it too.

But I don't get what all the whinging is about. We came within a whisper of finals last year. It is entirely possible for this to happen again. We've had some bad luck losing our most valuable player for half the season and since he has been back we have had two tough away games against teams chocked full of international players.

If Hodgson had been on board, I honestly think we would have beaten the Reds in Rd 2, Rebels in Rd 5 and all four of the South African teams. Those were all very narrow losses that could have gone the other way. We could easily be sitting on seven wins right now with four home games and an away one to the Rebels. The margin of difference there is so small- lets not lose our bag when there is plenty to be hopeful for next season.

The young blokes will get better and another NRC season will add to the depth of our squad. Alby and Sias will come back into some form and we will be laughing.

Yes there are some things Foley needs to sort out (Godwin back to 12, drop some of our underperforming players, tone down the kicking, encourage faster ball and a bit more risk in attack) but it is not all doom and gloom. Besides which there is no money to sack the coach and no money to attract super star players so we are going to have to live with it anyway.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash

When Foley surely goes, who then?

Maybe we can help Force management. Any ideas?

I'll get the ball rolling. The Lord. We entice Laurie Fisher out of Canberra. How hard can that be, we'll just tell him it never rains here and there's less traffic.

What do you think?

Hasta la vista Pam

vCash
    That's exactly what I said in a different thread, that had Hodgo been available the entire season we'd probably have secured a few more wins. And again, you look at what we did last year, and now the Lions this year, you don't necessarily need a team full of internationals to have a bit of success.

Champion
    vCash
    He is now in the uk mate so don't think rain bothers him. You really don't like foley do you?

Rookie
    vCash
    Do you honestly see a WA-based franchise ever reaching a S15 final? The tag 'also rans' may be harsh, but so is the cold hard truth. We will never be the destination of choice for the best players and coaches in the comp. for a whole host of reasons. We have to accept that.
    This is BS. Will it be harder for us, yes. But if we accept it then we are destined for it. Being an ex-pat, I've seen countless American teams defy the money of the New York Yankees and the like. Last year in the World Series, the SF Giants (who won) had a payroll 65% of the LA Dodgers, and the 2nd place team KC Royals had a payroll 40% of that. It's about having the right system (on and off the field), and being able to find and develop good young talent.

And to me the biggest difference between this year and last year has been Sias' kicking (even though I don't like the style at all). Last year he was very precise with his position kicks, and made the penalty and conversions at a high rate. This year, he and Burton have not.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    You'd need to entice from further than that, because he's Head Coach at Gloucester now........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agrugger View Post
    And to me the biggest difference between this year and last year has been Sias' kicking (even though I don't like the style at all). Last year he was very precise with his position kicks, and made the penalty and conversions at a high rate. This year, he and Burton have not.
    That's also a good point. It was Jayden Hayward taking our penalties and conversions for most of last year, but he had a very good success rate, and we've missed that this year. I listened to Tony Johnstone say pretty much the same thing in the commentary, that to be successful in S15, you need a reliable place kicker.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast