Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A message from ARU CEO Bill Pulver

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    the model is not sustainable long term. we need a salary cap.
    We do but the Wallaby top-ups make a complete mockery of it.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    In name only. Any salary cap should obviously do away with the wallaby top ups. the general premise should be the ARU has x amounts of funds - we have 5 SR clubs and so the money should go to them equally as part of the cap. 5y = x. The top up system is plainly objective nonsense when the ARU pays to bring numpties like Hunt across from AFL.

The salary cap has worked really well in the NRL spreads the talent across the clubs and keeps them competitive across the board. Don't think a team has won it (legally) since the cap has been in place. keeps the interest across all the comp which translates directly into $ from tv rights and gate receipts.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    the model is not sustainable long term. we need a salary cap.
    We have a salary cap

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes GIGS "we" (the Force) do, but everyone else needs one as well

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I wonder how much of the ARU budget is actually spent on Wallaby contracts for players who aren't currently playing for the Wallabies?

And how many of those are players from Queensland and NSW?

Do away with the top up system. RUPA will squeal and complain, so you'll need to redirect those funds into player salaries of some sort. Increase the ARU stipend to each province using some sort of equitable model, increase Wallaby match payments and add some sort of injured player fund where a player who is injured in service to the Wallabies gets some cover for the loss of match payments that this would cause.

No real need to stuff around with flexible contracts anymore, because the ARU will not have a contract with anybody, they will only have oversight and power of veto on the contracts the franchises sign, possibly stepping in when a really important player tries to burn himself out in the chase for the almighty dollar. (eg Ben McCalman now that Palu is leaving becomes the key #8 prospect with apparently little challenge, they might choose to protect him for the good of the national team)

It will open the door for adjustments to be made once the system is set up, but you'll need to keep the union happy to start the ball rolling.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Wallaby match payments and add some sort of injured player fund where a player who is injured in service to the Wallabies gets some cover for the loss of match payments that this would cause.

Workers comp style payments should be in place anyway for all players as they all employees of rugby

vCash
    No salary caps.. I hate that shit..
    ..and no player draft either (the sporting equivalent of primary school elephant stamps)

let the cream rise..

cheers auss...
    fabricarti diem punc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    Workers comp style payments should be in place anyway for all players as they all employees of rugby
    That would be true to an extent, however I was thinking of a complete abolishment of the ARU contract. Make playing for the Wallabies essentially a very well paid casual job. In that regard, I would think the players are more like subcontractors. If they get hurt, their provincial contract would stand but they'd lose their wallaby match payments which might not actually be covered by workers comp.

Surely there's some insurance company which would want to underwrite such a venture.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    That would be true to an extent, however I was thinking of a complete abolishment of the ARU contract. Make playing for the Wallabies essentially a very well paid casual job. In that regard, I would think the players are more like subcontractors. If they get hurt, their provincial contract would stand but they'd lose their wallaby match payments which might not actually be covered by workers comp.

Surely there's some insurance company which would want to underwrite such a venture.
    and essentially get paid an hourly rate for attending camps, media presso's etc. Training is still working

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antiussentiment View Post
    No salary caps.. I hate that shit..
    ..and no player draft either (the sporting equivalent of primary school elephant stamps)

let the cream rise..
    I'm not in favour of a draft either. However, in absence of that you need a salary cap, otherwise why bother with Melbourne and Perth teams at all? The problem is not the "cream", it is teams hoarding talent further down the list.

vCash
    In response to this I would like to tell Bill Pulver to extract his head from his arse and start administering the national game in the national interest.....Two flexible contracts out of five being touted as being Tahs and the remainder of the list containing only one player from outside the "rugby heartland" (also some noted non-performing troublemakers in Cooper and Beale) I would suggest he needs to realise that people DO play rugby outside of NSW!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    (also some noted non-performing troublemakers in Cooper and Beale)
    You must have missed this this morning

The Wallabies and Queensland Reds can start planning for life after Quade Cooper, with the five-eighth set to sign a two-year deal with French Top 14 giants Toulon.

Cooper had been in talks with the Top 14 glamour club and reportedly liked what he saw during a visit to France this week. French paper L'Equipe on Tuesday night reported that the deal was done, however Fairfax Media understands that the contract has not been finalised yet but is likely to happen soon.

Cooper's manager Khoder Nasser had been involved in advanced talks with Toulon and a tour appears to have made up Cooper's mind in a move that will rob the Reds of a member of the fabled 2011 championship side.
    http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/re...21-1mq1xc.html

Apprentice
    vCash
    As part of the 2013-2017 RUPA /ARU Collective Agreements a salary cap of $5m per SR franchise per season was set up.

Other cost matters outlined in the press release were:
    1) Reduced Test Match payments for Qantas Wallabies from $13,100 in 2013 to $10,000 in 2014 and 2015 for all players. In 2016 and 2017, Test Match payments for Qantas Wallabies will remain $10,000 for Nationally Contracted (‘Top-up’) players, while non-Nationally Contracted players will receive $12,000 per Test Match.
    2) Reduced assembly allowances for training camps and Test Matches for Qantas Wallabies.
    3) Increase players’ share of Gross Player Revenue (GPR) from 26% to 29%.
    4) Increase the minimum individual player salary to $67,500 in 2015 increasing to $75,000 in 2015 (excludes top-ups)

According to the Annual Report $23m was paid in wages to employees with $735,885 going to Mr Pulver. That's a lot of coin. Couldn't find comparable figures for the NRL.

vCash
    From Rugby Banter ...

A major announcement regarding the ARU's Player Contracting Policy will be made at 4pm today. We will break the news as soon as details emerge in 90 minutes!

Rugby is a game for the mentally deficient… That is why it was invented by the British. Who else but an Englishman could invent an oval ball?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spyvspy View Post
    From Rugby Banter ...

A major announcement regarding the ARU's Player Contracting Policy will be made at 4pm today. We will break the news as soon as details emerge in 90 minutes!
    "We"? We who?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast