Thread: Force fumes over shabby rugby fixturing

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force fumes over shabby rugby fixturing

Justin Chadwick
    April 19, 2015, 3:17 pm

Western Force coach Michael Foley has lashed out at SANZAR's "farcical" Super Rugby fixturing, saying he's mystified at his team's poor treatment.

The Force have been dealt one of the hardest draws in the competition this season, and they will be put to the ultimate test in Friday night's clash with the Chiefs in New Zealand.

As if the 5366km trip and four-hour time difference weren't challenging enough, the six-day turnaround means the Force will only be able to squeeze in one full-throttle training session before facing one of Super Rugby's premier sides.

The Force were also dealt a tough hand to start the season.

Five of their first seven games were away, with two of their first three fixtures featuring six-day turnarounds and travel.

Foley says the heavy travel burden and short turnarounds won't be used as an excuse.

But he wants SANZAR to give his team a fairer go in the future.

"SANZAR has a lot to be accountable for," Foley said.

"The Western Force are one of 15 stakeholders, and I think the way the players are treated within the schedule is pretty shabby.

"The way SANZAR puts the draw together is a mystery - it makes no sense. It's farcical.

"There are some anomalies in the scheduling this year that you just have to shake your head at.

"That's something (Force chief executive) Mark Sinderberry will deal with SANZAR over time."

The Force tumbled to the bottom of the table following their 13-6 loss to the Stormers and the Queensland Reds' 18-17 triumph over the Cheetahs.

If the Force lose to the second-placed Chiefs on Friday, it would equal their worst-ever losing streak of nine games set back in 2006.

But the Force were desperately unlucky not to have come away with at least a draw against the Stormers on Saturday night.

The Force dominated possession and territory for most of the match, and almost scored a try in the 82nd minute - only for Dane Haylett-Petty to be held up over the line.

Foley was proud of his team's efforts, and believed the wins would soon flow.

Stand-in skipper Sam Wykes appears destined for a stint on the sidelines after injuring his left foot against the Stormers.

Wykes limped off in the 21st minute, with scans to determine the extent of the damage.

"It's been playing up for a few weeks now. I felt a sharp pain go through the bottom of it," Wykes said.

Regular skipper Matt Hodgson will make his long-awaited return against the Chiefs after recovering from pre-season hamstring surgery.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...gby-fixturing/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I can't see any hope this week. Hopefully next week we can show that we're a better side than the one that marched out in 2006.....that's certainly the case, but only results matter in professional sport!

C'mon the

vCash
    After the appalling reffing on Saturday.. We need a fairer go all round.. In my VERY humble opinion

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    No hope this weekend either. Just hope they put up a good fight and get some long over due luck on their side!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    After the appalling reffing on Saturday.. We need a fairer go all round.. In my VERY humble opinion
    I have sent a letter to SANZAR about the reffing over the weekend.. I asked for a reason to why at the 71st min we got a yellow ( yes was correct luke was offside ) but 3 mins later the stormers got called offside twice and nothing done.. I think this needs to be explained

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good for you Tonkar :-)) I messaged Brett Gosper about the general standard of the reffing in the S15 comp this season. I said it was ruining the game.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Senior Player
    vCash
    Angus Gardner reffing us this week at least we know how he performs. I just hope angus can keep up with the pace of the chiefs.

vCash
    Good on you Tonka I reckon I'll do the same.. something has to be done.. without that disgraceful penalty try we would have won.. AGAIN....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    Angus Gardner reffing us this week at least we know how he performs. I just hope angus can keep up with the pace of the chiefs.
    AFG again??!!! FFS!!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Regarding the fixturing this year, i think we've had the luxury of the travel and short weeks 3 times as well as playing the home team coming off the bye as well. The clowns at the waratahs must be rubbing their hands with glee. They certainly wouldn't have wanted a repeat of last seeing us outsiders get so close to the finals. That would be embarasing for the leather patch brigade.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I would love to go behind the scenes at SANZAR to see how it's done. I don't believe it's simply fed into a Canadian computer programme and out pops the schedule.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    I have sent a letter to SANZAR about the reffing over the weekend.. I asked for a reason to why at the 71st min we got a yellow ( yes was correct luke was offside ) but 3 mins later the stormers got called offside twice and nothing done.. I think this needs to be explained
    Do you have his email address - wouldn't mind giving him a message myself!