Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Western Force v Stormers Round 10

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    Sam as captain bye bye. Benny Mac was great as the skipper.
    actually, I was prepared for a renaissance when Sam was replaced by Gus. Mafin and Coleman in the second row with the flanks being covered by Chris, Benny Mac and Gus. It was a drool-inducing setup, but nothing much really changed except our lineouts got worse.

It appears that Sam DOES contribute to the general play of the team, so there's some humble pie to be eaten by myself and others. The endeavor was pretty good, but the lack of any form of attack coach is absolutely desperate at this point.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boof1050 View Post
    Being the wooden spooners doesn"t sit well with me. Leaves a real dirty taste in the mouth.
    Bottom of the log, 1 from 9, no wins at home this season, crowd a smidge over 10,000 on a dry night.
    And the frigging Reds got an away win over the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein!

Even the SuperSport commentators here praised the Force's "never say die" attitude in the post-match wrap-up last night, one of them admitting that luck and the ref. were probably on the Stormers' side.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    WESTERN FORCE MEDIA RELEASE
    Saturday, 18 April 2015

COURAGEOUS FORCE UNABLE TO OVERCOME STORMERS

A brave display from the Western Force was not enough to topple the high-flying Stormers, with the Cape Town-based side taking a 13-6 win at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) tonight.

In an 80-minute arm wrestle, neither side’s try line could be breached with the only try coming through a first-half penalty try to the visitors from a five-metre scrum.

While the Stormers held a narrow 10-6 lead at the break, the Force held the majority of running in the second stanza but was unable to breakthrough for the decisive score.

Force No.8 Ben McCalman, who received the Haigh & Hastings Man of the Match, was again in the thick of the action in carrying the ball forward to give his side momentum, as well as assuming the captaincy when skipper Sam Wykes was assisted from the field with a foot injury.

Fullback Dane Haylett-Petty continued on his rich vein of form in continually challenging the Stormers defensive line, while flyhalf Sias Ebersohn also controlled the match on the back of a shrewd kicking display.

The Force heads to New Zealand next week for their two-week tour to face the Chiefs in Hamilton (Friday, 24 April) and the Blues in Auckland (Saturday, 2 May).

Tickets to Western Force’s next home match against the NSW Waratahs on Saturday, 9 May are now available! Visit www.ticketmaster.com.au.

WHAT THEY SAID… Michael Foley, Western Force Head Coach
    “Tonight’s performance has to be a benchmark in terms of physicality and attitude. Last week there were decisions in the game that had to be made that were important and when Monday comes after a game like last week there’s a hell of a lot of things you need to look at – there’s bits and pieces we need to work on every week. In that game tonight there was one or two things. If we can maintain that level of attitude around the breakdown and that level of attitude in defence, we can make the good decisions regarding momentum – which I thought was exceptional tonight. I thought Dane and Sias particularly really ran the game well. Alby supported them; Ian supported them, and it’s just now finishing off some of those chances we’re getting in the opposition 22m.”

2015 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week 10
    Saturday, 18 April 2015 at nib Stadium, Perth Kick-off: 7.45pm Crowd: 10, 823

Stormers 13 (Penalty try; Demitri Catrakilis 1/1 conversion, 2/2 penalty goals) defeated Western Force 6 (Luke Burton 2/3 conversions)

Half time: Stormers 10-6
    Yellow Cards: Luke Burton (76 min)
    Red Cards: Nil
    Referee: Mike Fraser

Western Force
    1. Pekahou Cowan, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Tetera Faulkner, 4. Sam Wykes (c), 5. Adam Coleman, 6. Steve Mafi, 7. Chris Alcock, 8. Ben McCalman, 9. Alby Mathewson, 10. Sias Ebersohn, 11. Nick Cummins, 12. Luke Burton, 13. Kyle Godwin, 14. Luke Morahan, 15. Dane Haylett-Petty.

Reserves: 16. Heath Tessmann, 17. Chris Heiberg, 18. Oliver Hoskins, 19.Ross Haylett-Petty, 20. Angus Cottrell, 21. Ian Prior, 22. Junior Rasolea, 23. Marcel Brache.

Head Coach: Michael Foley

Stormers
    1. Steven Kitshoff, 2. Mbongeni Mbonambi, 3. Jozua Malherbe, 4. Eben Etzebeth, 5. Ruan Botha, 6. Siyamthanda Kolisi, 7. Schalk Burger, 8. Nizaam Carr, 9. Louis Schreuder, 10. Demetri Catrakilis, 11. Dillyn Leyds, 12. Damian de Allende, 13. Juan de Jongh (c), 14. Jacobus van Wyk, 15. Cheslin Kolbe.

Reserves: 16. Siyabonga Ntubeni, 17. Allistair Vermaak, 18. Vincent Koch, 19. Jean Kleyn, 20. Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21. Nicholas Groom, 22. Kurt Coleman, 23. Huw Jones.

Head Coach: Allister Coetzee

BY THE CLOCK
    Min Score
    3 The Western Force defensive line is caught offside. Demetri Catrakilis kicks the penalty 0-3
    5 Stormers flanker Schalk Burger is penalised for infringing at the ruck. Luke Burton kicks the penalty from 48 metres out. 3-3
    10 From a scrum five metres from the try line, referee Mike Fraser awards the penalty try. Catrakilis converts the try. 3-10
    20 Sam Wykes is helped from the field with a foot Injury 3-10
    38 The Stormers scrum is penalised for the front row collapsing in front of the posts. Burton converts the penalty. 6-10
    HALF TIME 6-10
    47 Demetri Catrakilis high tackle on Kyle Godwin gave a penalty to the force, Luke Burton hits the upright, Angus Cotrell tackles Stormers, Jozua Malherbe in the in goal 6-10
    76 Burton receives a yellow card for a cynical offside. Kurt Coleman kicks the penalty goal. 6-13
    FULL TIME 6-13

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Alby was filthy being hooked.
    I DID think it was a funny time to hook him, however, I think Alby has been needing this for a few weeks.
    As much as I like his play I think he has been slowing down the team over the last few weeks.
    It was no coincidence that our play speeded up when Prior came on. He arrives at the ruck quicker than Alby and get its out before the defence are organised.

I hope he starts next game

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Might have been a good idea if Foley had visited the Refs room at half time to ask Coetzee if he needed either glasses or makeup and hair to help improve his performance. He didn't seem to have much idea on what was happening on field that everyone else seemed to have no trouble spotting!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jules View Post
    Anyone know what happened to alby? He didn't seem happy when he was replaced?
    He was straight to the sheds.. why was he substituted??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    I know it is not good to discuss some interpretations of the ref but I was shocked at the last 10 mins

Just to say The boys played well great to see so many punching up and trying we had 60% territory and ball and yes some mistakes were made but all in all a good game 90% Still some wayward kicking...

Force had all the play in Stormer half and they got us back into our 22 and we infringed being offside ( Yes Luke was ) and out comes a card.. 3 points to stormers.. The boys get back on the stormers try line and the infringe with offside ( White 12 was the call )no card advantage played next call stormers off side ( white 19 offside is the call )again no card..

I have sports ears and listened to the ref calls and linesmen calls Some were a bit wayward and letting the stormers away with some ( white 12 ) off side calls... The penalty try was very harsh 1st infringements and they award a try no warnings nothing....
    Totally agree.. I listened on my Sports Ears and was baffled with the penalty try.. absolute bollocks..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonkar View Post
    I know it is not good to discuss some interpretations of the ref but I was shocked at the last 10 mins

Just to say The boys played well great to see so many punching up and trying we had 60% territory and ball and yes some mistakes were made but all in all a good game 90% Still some wayward kicking...

Force had all the play in Stormer half and they got us back into our 22 and we infringed being offside ( Yes Luke was ) and out comes a card.. 3 points to stormers.. The boys get back on the stormers try line and the infringe with offside ( White 12 was the call )no card advantage played next call stormers off side ( white 19 offside is the call )again no card..

I have sports ears and listened to the ref calls and linesmen calls Some were a bit wayward and letting the stormers away with some ( white 12 ) off side calls... The penalty try was very harsh 1st infringements and they award a try no warnings nothing....
    Having watched the replay am also absolutely gobsmacked that Stormers didn't get penalised. After having carded Luke for cynical play (WTF!), he refused to act on Stormers at the last minute incident even with Benny demanding why. Along with pulling up play when Force were headed for a try with advantage, and all the other shit makes you wonder if he was completely clueless. But the guys really played so well - it's just this infernal kicking away the ball at the try line after building up phases and the backs not supporting more on attack is frustrating us. Love Alby's game but Prior really sped things up when he came on and Brache seems to have his mojo back! Great seeing local guys getting a run, but why have we got these great marquee players not getting any game time especially Mitchell?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Having watched the replay am also absolutely gobsmacked that Stormers didn't get penalised. After having carded Luke for cynical play (WTF!), he refused to act on Stormers at the last minute incident even with Benny demanding why. Along with pulling up play when Force were headed for a try with advantage, and all the other shit makes you wonder if he was completely clueless. But the guys really played so well - it's just this infernal kicking away the ball at the try line after building up phases and the backs not supporting more on attack is frustrating us. Love Alby's game but Prior really sped things up when he came on and Brache seems to have his mojo back! Great seeing local guys getting a run, but why have we got these great marquee players not getting any game time especially Mitchell?
    Totally agree...12 was warned numerous times during the game and called as offside from the AR and the ref did nothing. The yellow card and penalty try were rubbish!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Is zack injured as well?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    He was straight to the sheds.. why was he substituted??
    I have been really appreciative of Alby's contributions since joining us and yes it was a weird time to sub him off, only a few minutes after half time. However, personally I was really dissapointed with his reaction - slamming the ball down, not great - but then going straight to the sheds when there were teammates on the bench and a game in the balance, very poor form Alby!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Macattack; 23-04-15 at 17:33.

vCash
    Typical scrummie dummy spit!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    that's part of our DNA!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    He had actually "tweaked" his knee very early in the first half and tried to "run it off" to no avail. He's getting around with a big brace on but claims it is "not as bad as it looks". He should be fine by the time they get back from Un Zud.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Flesh wound!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4