Thread: Matt Hodgson to play on in 2016

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Matt Hodgson to play on in 2016

Captain Matt Hodgson will continue his career with Western Force after extending his contract through to the end of the 2016, with the option of a further season in 2017.

The evergreen back-rower, who is currently sidelined as he returns from a hamstring injury, remains the most-capped player in the club’s history (113 matches) having made his Asteron Life Super Rugby debut for the Force against the Brumbies in the club’s inaugural match in 2006.

Hodgson, who along with Pek Cowan remain the only foundation players, claimed his third Nathan Sharpe Medal for the Force’s player of the year in 2014, and returned to the Wallabies squad where he captained the national side in their 40-36 win over the Barbarians in London.

The 33-year-old says he’s excited at the prospect of remaining a ‘one club’ player.

“Despite being injured, the body feels great, my mind feels fresh and I’m excited about finishing what we’ve started in the last couple of years,” he said. “To be able to keep the majority of the team together is a goal we’ve had and we’ve got the players and the depth to go forward in the competition.

“I started at the club in 2005 and I still don’t feel like I’ve achieved what I’ve set out to do which is to win through the second half of the competition and play finals rugby.

“Last year gave us a taste of what can be achieved and while we’ve had a challenging start to this season, there’s still a lot of potential within the group and the opportunity to finish the season strongly.

“With the added responsibility of the leadership role, I feel like I’ve been challenged again and it’s something I’m excited about. I’m really enjoying my rugby and as long as that’s the case, I’ll continue to play.

“I’m enjoying being pushed by some of the younger players and the back row is proving a tough area to crack. I’m really enjoying passing on what I know to the younger blokes, particularly someone like Kane [Koteka]. Seeing players like him come through club rugby and into Super Rugby is really exciting and I’m keen to pass on what I know and what’s been passed on to me, to help them in their career.”

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says Hodgson continues to be at the heart of the club.

“In his performances as a player and leader, Hodgo’s demonstrated unconditional commitment to the club over the past 10 years,” he said.

“’Earning respect’ is the core value of our team, and Matt epitomises that in the way he plays, the way he deals with his teammates and our supporters, and in his determination to do whatever’s required to see the club succeed.

“Matt’s maintained a high level of performance over a long period of time, culminating in a personal best season last year and I’m wrapped to know that he’s staying with us as a player and leader for another season.”

The Force will play five of its final eight matches at home at the Force Field' (nib Stadium), starting with the Stormers this Saturday, 18 April.

Name: Matt Hodgson
    Born: 25/06/1981, Sydney
    Position: Flanker
    Club: Wanneroo
    Height: 185cm
    Weight: 103kg
    Super Rugby caps: 113
    Super Rugby points: 65
    Super Rugby debut: 2006 v Brumbies, Perth
    Test caps: 11
    Test points: 0
    Test debut: 2010 v Fiji, Canberra
    Representative Rugby: 2009-2014 Wallabies, 2010 Australian Barbarians, 2005 & 2008 Australia A, 2002 Australian Under 21

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 14-04-15 at 10:17.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Sweet zombie jesus! Great signing because our team obviously can't play Rugby without him.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jargan83; 14-04-15 at 14:49.

vCash
    Fantastic news! These signings are bringing back the belief. Next yea will be the year! Deja vue!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    He is the mojo for the Force.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hopefully the rest of this year and the next are as good as his last and he can then ease into a management/coaching role while Alcock and Koteka take up the slack.

Very keen to see what difference his presence makes on the field. Hopefully these gallant losses can be turned into victories with his steady hands on the tiller.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

vCash
    What says a lot about the team to me has been that after this bit of a real low point this week with results, the Force languishing at the bottom of the ladder are getting all these great guys resigning the past few weeks! That really says a lot about the Force and their spirit to me - as opposed to 'some other' team where everyone is bailing out as fast as they can! So if these guys can show such confidence in their team to stay on at yet another low point speaks volumes. So am just going to get my Force shirt ready for yet another session - sigh! 'Ere we go again!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Great news, thanks Hodgo (we are certainly missing your on-field influence atm)

Also well done to management for recognising this 33 year old has a couple of good years of top class rugby left in him

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Great to hear some good news this week. Be there Saturday to support them. :-)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!