Thread: Burton to remain with the Force to 2017

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Burton to remain with the Force to 2017

Force inside back, Luke Burton will remain with the club for a further two seasons, having extended his contract through to the end of 2017.

Burton, who has started at both fullback and inside centre this season, has forged a strong partnership with fellow local, Kyle Godwin, in the midfield over the past three matches.

The Perth born 21 year old first made his debut with the Force last season, adding eight further caps to his tally in 2015.

The former Australian Under 20 representative says he's excited about extending his stay at the club.

"I love being a part of the Force and I'm really stoked to be able to stay with the club for another two years," he said.

"Perth is home for me and it's great playing with this group of boys. I really enjoy playing under the coaching staff here – they've continued to develop my game and I like what they're doing with the team.
    "It's an exciting to time to be part of the club, and it's fantastic to see so many local guys now progressing through to the Force. I've been playing with Kane [Koteka] since we were 14, Dane [Haylett-Petty] was someone I looked up to when we were at school at Hale, and it's great to have the opportunity to play alongside Kyle [Godwin] in the centres after playing against him at school.

"Having also played with Ollie [Hoskins], Brad Lacey and Ross Haylett-Petty for the Aussie Under 20's, it's all a great endorsement for work that [RugbyWA Junior Elite Coach] Dwayne [Nestor] and the senior coaches are putting into developing the pathway here in WA.

The Force will play five of its final eight matches at home at the Force Field' (nib Stadium), starting with the Stormers on Saturday, 18 April.

Name: Luke Burton
    Born: 17/02/1994, Perth
    Position: Inside centre/flyhalf
    Club: UWA
    Height: 180cm
    Weight: 92kg
    Super Rugby caps: 10
    Super Rugby points: 24
    Super Rugby debut: 2014 v Stormers, Cape Town
    Representative Rugby: 2014-2015 Western Force, 2013-2014 Australian Under 20, 2009-2011 RugbyWA Academy

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 13-04-15 at 14:47.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Good news, and great to see rising local talent wanting to stay with the Force.

vCash
    run him at 10 and see how he goes.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Non sunt multiplicanda entia sine necessitate

Player
    vCash
    His description about the locals in the team he has played with is bloody great and exactly the reason the force were setup. It takes time to develop players and the fruits are ripening now.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Great news! I think Luke has a very bright future ahead of him and it's awesome that he wants to stay with the Force to realise his dreams!

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    He was one of the few bright lights in the game against the Cheeters - plays well above his weight and makes a real impression - he also certainly doesn't lack guts based on how he hits the contact zone.

He also seems to have improved his place kicking by coming more "around the corner"

Keep up the good work Luke, well done!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    Unless he gets a lot bigger he is going to be a sore boy by the time 2017 rolls around. Can't deny his courage though.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Burton reaps rewards from devotion to Force cause

Nick Taylor
    April 14, 2015, 7:39 am

When the Australian Rugby Union handed Western Force their Super Rugby franchise 10 years ago, they were briefed to provide a pathway for local talent.

In the past two years, they have boosted their home-grown ranks to feature nine Perth-bred players, a quarter of their Super squad.

One of those, inside back Luke Burton, came through the RugbyWA academy and made his Super debut last year.

He re-signed for a further two seasons yesterday. Burton grew up with most of the other local players in the squad.

He has been playing with flanker Kane Koteka since they were 14 years old, played against centre Kyle Godwin at school, and was with forwards Ollie Hoskins and Ross Haylett-Petty and winger Brad Lacey in Australian Junior World Cup squads.

Recently re-signed full-back Dane Haylett-Petty was someone Burton looked up to at Hale School.

Burton, 21, has made eight Super appearances including five in the starting side.

“I love being a part of the Force and I’m really stoked to be able to stay with the club for another two years,” he said.

"Growing up playing in Perth my dream was always to play for the Force. Perth is home for me and it’s great playing with this group of boys.

“It’s an exciting time to be part of the club, and it’s fantastic to see so many local guys now progressing.”

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...o-force-cause/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!