Thread: Dean Mumm returns for the World Cup

vCash

Dean Mumm returns for the World Cup

FORMER Wallabies lock Dean Mumm says the chance to have a final crack at playing in a World Cup was behind his decision upend a settled English career and return home.

As revealed by the Daily Telegraph last month, Mumm has signed a one-year deal to return next season to the Waratahs, where he played between 2007 and 2012 and was skipper on numerous occasions.

The 31-year-old is currently finishing up the third of three seasons with the Exeter Chiefs, who under Mumm’s leadership have emerged as a rising force in the UK Premiership.

The return home was a big call for Mumm, with his status as Exeter captain no doubt also making him one of their top paid stars.

But despite having already played 33 times for the Wallabies between 2008 and 2011, Mumm’s ambition to return to the UK in September wearing gold at the World Cup was a powerful force.

“For me it was a massive drawcard. Obviously it is something I haven’t done before. I have been lucky enough to play for the Wallabies but I have never played in a World Cup. I got to the fringes of it (in 2011),” Mumm said from England.

“I don’t know how much longer I will play but I certainly won’t be around for the next World Cup, so it is the last opportunity for me and I have to have a go at it.”

Given his 2016 contract with the Tahs, the ARU have ruled Mumm can become eligible for the Wallabies World Cup squad after returning from Exeter in May by playing club rugby or NRC.

“It was part of the reason for me to come back, that I would be eligible,” Mumm said.

“Maybe in a way a bit similar to the way Vicks came back a couple of years ago. Returning from Cambridge, Dan Vickerman played a 20-minute cameo in NSW’s last round match in 2011 before being rushed into Robbie Deans’ Wallabies squads for the Tri-Nations and World Cup.

Asked if he might return for the Tahs for the end of this Super Rugby campaign, Mumm said: “There is little bit of potential I think, but it’s nothing set in stone. I don’t know when I can get home and obviously the Waratahs have a good squad there as well.”

Sitting fifth, Exeter remain in the hunt for one of four finals spots in the Aviva Premiership but if they don’t progress, their last game is May 16; which corresponds with round 14 of Super Rugby. NSW have four rounds left thereafter, plus finals, although the third and second-last games are in South Africa.

The likelihood of Mumm being a World Cup bolter would be slim, but it’s not out of the question either. Though considered a lock/flanker in Australia, Mumm’s three years in the UK Premiership have been spent at lock and he believes his tight play has grown accordingly.

Lock is also position of concern for Cheika, with Kane Douglas gone and James Horwill among a handful of contenders off the boil. Mumm’s experience of having called line outs at Test level is also an asset not held by many.
    “I happy with the way I am playing,” Mumm said.

“What I have learned over here is you have to have that range of skills to succeed over here. The really good players are the ones that are versatile and can play that tight, set-piece game and can also play when it opens up.

“I’ve learned a lot playing lock in a northern hemisphere competition, and what it takes. You get a lot of line outs here ... and ultimately the technique of scrumming isn’t any different, it’s the mentality they bring towards it and the length of scrum you’re required to do that changes the way you approach your work.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/w...-1227292256448

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    He wasn't even that good...

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Is his old man still on ARU board?

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Cheika 'short on lock options'; going to the Tahs; giving up a well-paid gig with a team located in a lovely part of England? His name must be pencilled in on the RWC squad sheet already.

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    How many times was it said that the Badger or O'Connor wouldn't be eligible for the world cup unless they played the super rugby season yet this bludger has been ruled to be eligible as long as he is available for the NRC? If his dad isn't still on the board his dad's mates must be!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Regardless of if he gets in or not, he's always played like shit and I doubt whether that's changed much!

vCash
    Nepotism - alive and well in the ARU.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    One word.....Bollocks ..

vCash
    If it was sharpie would we be bitching?

My guess is no, it's only an issue that this is being done for a moderately talented ext TAH that is getting everybody up in arms.

I would think it's a smart move from any lock to look at a pathway into the World Cup at the moment, because the Wallabies are very weak in the second row. Unfortunately I think that weakness comes as a result of focussing too much on underperforming wankers rather than trying out young blokes with promise like Luke Jones, Rory Arnold and Adam Coleman.

OK I know Luke jones got a bit of a shot and didn't exactly cover himself in glory, but he was dumped after like two tests. Will Skelton is only now managing to play more than 50 minutes of Super Rugby, is still not a hard worker and he's still touted as the golden boy. If Jones had been given four matches on the spring tour to find his feet nobody would be able to complain.......that's not the case.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Every man and his dog thinks he is a lock now that cheika says we are weak there. Mumm was always a bit average, dennis at the moment is the better option for lock for the converts. But really on his performances in super rugby Jones should be getting the nod.

My starting locks would be jones and simmons, with Dennis, Coleman and Arnold the bench options.

vCash
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  5.7 KB

Who is Dean Mumm again? Did he carry Sharpies boots once?

There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count and those that can't

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NTT View Post
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  5.7 KB

Who is Dean Mumm again? Did he carry Sharpies boots once?
    Shit! Carrying Sharpie's boots, he was obviously much better that I had assumed.

C'mon the

vCash
    Is he going to play for the NSW Waratahs, does anyone know?

vCash
    Yes. But only for one year by the sounds of things - the 2016 Super Rugby season. He also needs to play some club or NRC rugby this year to be eligible for the RWC squad.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!