Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Force v Bulls Round 6

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force v Bulls Round 6

Flanker Kane Koteka will make his starting debut when the Western Force takes on the Bulls at Pretoria’s Loftus Versfeld on Saturday night (21 March).

Koteka, the first player to graduate to Asteron Life Super Rugby from the club’s Future Force academy program, will run on for his fourth provincial cap having made his debut against the Wellington Hurricanes in Week Three.

The 21-year-old Wests Scarborough product will start as part of a new-look back row alongside blindside flanker Steve Mafi and No.8 Ben McCalman.

In the second row, Adam Coleman completes his comeback from a hip injury with his return to the starting XV, packing down alongside captain Sam Wykes.

South African-born playmaker Sias Ebersohn makes his return to the run-on side at flyhalf and will start inside the new midfield pairing of Luke Burton (inside centre) and Kyle Godwin (outside centre).

Luke Morahan will resume his place at his at fullback after recovering from a hamstring strain that sidelined him for last week’s match against the Melbourne Rebels.

On the bench, former Bulls lock Wilhelm Steenkamp is set to make his first appearance back at Loftus Versfeld since leaving Pretoria to join the Western Force ahead of the 2014 season.

Prop Guy Millar may be in line for his Asteron Life Super Rugby debut after being bracketed with Oliver Hoskins, while Angus Cottrell will start from the reserves list after missing the past two matches with an ankle injury.

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says his side is looking forward to Saturday’s challenge against the Bulls.

“While we’ve shown elements of what we’re capable of through the first part of the competition, it’s important we extend those moments through 80-minute performances,” he said.

“To a man, we all recognise that if we play from the start of matches with the same intensity and urgency we’ve seen as we’ve fought our way back into games in the last two weeks, the results will follow.”

Foley says Koteka’s starting debut is a testament to his hard work and perseverance.

“Kane has risen to each challenge he’s been presented with and Saturday night provides him with another exciting opportunity,” he said. “While it’s great to see another local player progressing to Super Rugby, he’s earned each opportunity he’s been given and his performances to date should provide him with confidence.”

2015 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week Six
    Bulls v Western Force
    Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
    Saturday, 21 March 2015
    Kick-off: 5.05pm (local)/11.05pm (AWST)

1. Pekahou Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Tetera Faulkner
    4. Sam Wykes (c)
    5. Adam Coleman
    6. Steve Mafi
    7. Kane Koteka
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Alby Mathewson
    10. Sias Ebersohn
    11. Nick Cummins
    12. Luke Burton
    13. Kyle Godwin
    14. Marcel Brache
    15. Luke Morahan

Reserves
    16. Heath Tessmann
    17. Chris Heiberg
    18. Oliver Hoskins/Guy Millar
    19. Wilhelm Steenkamp
    20. Angus Cottrell
    21. Ian Prior
    22. Zack Holmes
    23. Solomoni Jnr Rasolea

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Player
    vCash
    Really how many times do we have to say Godwin 12. I want Brache at 13 and Mitch Scott on the wing. Mitch didn't even make the match day squad. Just slap him in the face why don't you!

Nice that Koteka gets a chance but has Alcock injured himself? 2015 continues to be a puzzling year working out what the Force are trying to do.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Hang on a minute, Burto to 12 isn't that bad a move.

Kyle has shown himself to be loath to pass the ball and willing to play crash ball, that will work with a lively 12 inside him. Burton looks like he can throw a cut-out ball and (if past performances are anything to go by) will do so if it looks like there are meters available.

Burton is also not guilty of the "stupid panicky grubber to the sideline" So I'd prefer him at 12 over Kyle.

It'll be interesting to see Sias play this week, he's been out of favour for a few weeks and hopefully has got the message that kicking all our possession away isn't going to cut it. He does have a good boot though and at altitude it would be nice for it to be used properly.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Senior Player
    vCash
    Gotta agree with you there moono it's been very puzzling.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Morahan at 15 is a worry-his tackling has been poor.Hopefully he will lift his game

vCash
    Alcock and scott should be dirty not being in the match day squad. Not sure now why dhp is in the republic if he doesn't make the bench this week.

Hope koteka grabs his opportunity with both hands.

foley I think is large on the stats, that's why he favours Wykes. He wants to play a territory game in the high veldt, which is why sias is the starting 10. Sorry gigs I think the coach will tell him to kick it away and attempt to play the game in the bulls half

If Alcock is not injured then he should be worried, the opportunity to play at 7 while Hodgo is out has been taken from him by Koteka. Might want to start looking for greener pastures. Interested to see what mafi can do at 6, hopefully he will be more free running and able to get us over the ad line which we have had enormous problems with.

Hope morahan has had plenty of tackling practice. Fingers crossed.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    At least Jnr is being given some bench time, might just run instead of dance when he gets his next chance.

Burto at least deserves a chance at 12, he was good last week.

Go well Kane a well deserved start.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Gee whiz i didn't notice Morahan at fullback. It's getting very hard to start speaking positive about this year. Kicking duel with the bulls is not a flash idea i fear. Very quickly the good work these guys did last year in promoting a strong positive gain in play and membership is going down the toilet.

Player
    vCash
    I don't think this game is going to be pretty for us WF supporters. Why they continue to play KG out of position floors me. Lets hope it is a forwards game because there is not many tacklers in that backline.
    Look for another very annoyed Albie.

vCash
    I thought Scott looked pretty good, shame he's missed out. No room for Yamada yet, a bit unfortunate as we could use his counter-attacking ability.

If Burton can communicate well from inside-centre, it could settle Sias down a bit.

I wonder if Alcock is injured?

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    A kicker is essential on the high Veldt, we just need Sias to kick intelligently, not serve up more of the usual crap which we've seen this year. Kicks should be long, hit grass, go out or be chased hard by insane screaming motherf£€KERS who will beat the living crap out of any body who dares to come close to it.

The 50-50 bullshit without chasers gifting the opposition possession our side of 50 need to be put in a cupboard forever, then burnt.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    This what the Force is all about.

W A Schooled kids finding a pathway to Super rugby.

Stoked to see Kane, Luke, Kyle in the staring 15.

In response to D H P only due back next week, if you read earlier media releases the Force intimated some injuries were still a match away.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

Apprentice
    vCash
    I like the backline since DHP is not ready. When DHP ready would put him at 15 and Morahan to the wing. We all know Sias will kick as that is what Sias does. Just hope he kicks smart and finds grass not the opposition.
    In the pigs I got worried when they named Sam captain. Means he starts every week. Bugger. I would go with Coleman, Steenkamp and Mafi for 456.
    Go well Kane his first start. Wish him all the best.

Player
    vCash
    I'd like to see Malcalman taking the ball up to the line, with Mafi running onto his offload and breaking the line then with burton and Kyle running in support. Simple and effective. If that's too hard for the team then just pass the ball to Mafi and always have a runner in support.

vCash
    I just canNOT handle another friggin game with possession being kicked away. As for that bloody ref-he'll be on a revenge mission.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast