Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Force v Rebels - Round 5

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Force v Rebels - Round 5

The Western Force will hope history repeats itself when they take on the Melbourne Rebels in their Super Rugby clash in Perth.

The Force's finals hopes are already on the ropes following a three-game losing streak.

The situation is reminiscent to last year, when the Force opened their season with two straight losses before facing the Rebels in a crunch clash.

In that fixture, the Force scored four tries in the opening 27 minutes on the way to a 32-7 win.

The triumph sparked a club-record five-match winning streak for the Force, paving the way for their best season.

Wallabies No.8 Ben McCalman hopes Friday night will be a case of deja vu.

"We saw last year, this is the game which turned things around," McCalman said.

"Hopefully, we can repeat that and start a winning streak. It's a critical part of our season."

The Rebels opened their season with a shock win over the Crusaders in Christchurch, but losses to the Waratahs and Brumbies have sent them crashing back to earth.

A week off has given the Rebels time to restock, and they plan to come out firing against an equally desperate Force.

Force winger Nick Cummins scored a try in last week's 27-15 loss to the Brumbies in Canberra, and he'll be hoping for more white-line fever in his first home game of the season.

"He brings a lot of energy for the fans, and also players as well," McCalman said of Cummins, who returned from playing in Japan last month.

"It took him one game to come back and score a try."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-crunch-clash/

Justin Chadwick
    March 10, 2015, 7:41 am

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Anyone know if there is any truth in the vicious Fox rumours that Benny Mac may be going to the Tahs??

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Not more than I heard during the Brumbies game saying that the Tahs were sniffing around.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    It may just be a story dreamt up by the journalist on a slow news day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by todd4 View Post
    It may just be a story dreamt up by the journalist on a slow news day.
    I'd be surprised if he wasn't attracting interest from other sides.

Perhaps this could be moved to it's own thread so not to clog up a match thread?

vCash
    Anyone up to speed re our prop injuries, both Tet and Pek looked in discomfort during the Brumbies match.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    What I would like to see this week is more creativity and go for in the backs. Running on to the ball instead of standing flat footed. Loved the way the Canes wingers worked in tandem enabling 1 or the other to carry or pass the ball, because they had GREAT SUPPORT! And I hope Foles has finally banned grubber kicks!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    So once again we play for the Jorge Lookis Cup

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    What I would like to see this week is more creativity and go for in the backs. Running on to the ball instead of standing flat footed...
    +1 I'd like to see some better running angles from back play like Kuridrani does so well.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Along with Nicks interview and also Benny Macs where he seemed quietly confident (as he does) am feeling a lot more upbeat about the game for a change. What's also on the line is that the team really needs to get behind Hodgo, Ben, Nick, Pek, and hopefully Tet Kyle and Angus to secure berths for them in the Wobblies team. Showing up for the game is now nonnegotiable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    +1 I'd like to see some better running angles from back play like Kuridrani does so well.
    That would require the backs to practice backline moves and alignment.......and a backline coach who has a farking clue

Controversy corner

vCash
    Head space is Force's focus: Honey Badger

Justin Chadwick
    March 11, 2015, 8:59 am

The Western Force have a chip on their shoulder, and winger Nick Cummins says there's only one way to fix it - with victory against the Melbourne Rebels.

A three-game Super Rugby losing streak has left the Force's finals hopes on thin ice already, making Friday night's clash with the Rebels in Perth a crunch affair.

The Force produced limp performances in losses to the Reds and Hurricanes, but they regained some of their fighting spirit in last week's 27-15 defeat to the Brumbies.

Cummins, who scored a try against the Brumbies, said coach Michael Foley has worked hard this week to fix the mindset of the group.

"It's the hardest part - working the scone out," Cummins said.

"(Foley) has done it now. He's spun it around with a couple of meetings and a bit of bonding.

"The boys feel like they want to do it for each other. Building that feeling and thought is what will make the difference.

"The boys here have a bit of a chip (on their shoulder) now, and they want to have a crack at (the Rebels) and regain that respect."

At 1-3, things aren't looking great for the Force. And it could look even bleaker after they take on the Bulls and Sharks in South Africa later this month.

But Cummins is confident they can turn things around.

"It's a long season, things can turn around pretty rapidly and that's happened in the past for us," Cummins said.

"Sometimes teams go through those waves where they might lose a couple and then they win five in a row like we did last year.

"That's quite normal. I'm confident in us, I don't think we're too worried."

Cummins' appearance at nib Stadium on Friday night will be his first match back in Perth since returning from Japan last month.

Japanese journalists struggled to interpret some of Cummins' trademark sayings, and the 27-year-old joked that even some of his Force teammates are finding it hard to understand him.

"The South African blokes (in our team) think they've learned English, but they haven't learned Australian," Cummins said with a smile.

"So they ask me what the hell I'm talking about. Anyway, that's another story."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...-honey-badger/

vCash
    Force ready to take on Rebels!

Nick Cummins will make his long-awaited return to the Force Field tomorrow night, in the second home match of the season.

Luke Burton’s selection at fullback – replacing the injured Luke Morahan (hamstring) – is the only change to the starting XV.

Adam Coleman is also set to make his return, after a hip injury sidelined him for the Force’s matches against the Hurricanes and Brumbies.

Force Coach, Michael Foley says his side is looking forward to returning to the ‘Force Field’ tomorrow.

“We’re excited to be back at home,” he said. “Friday provides us with an opportunity to play for our fans.

“Last week’s performance was a true reflection of what it means to us to play for each other and the jersey. With our attitude right, a number of areas within our game improved through the 80 minutes. We started to manipulate the defence and apply good pressure with ball in hand.

“It’s important that we take the Brumbies performance and build on it on Friday night.”

2015 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Western Force v Melbourne Rebels

1. Pekahou Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Tetera Faulkner
    4. Sam Wykes (c)
    5. Steve Mafi
    6. Brynard Stander
    7. Chris Alcock
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Alby Mathewson
    10. Zack Holmes
    11. Nick Cummins
    12. Solomoni Jnr Rasolea
    13. Kyle Godwin
    14. Marcel Brache
    15. Luke Burton

Reserves
    16. Heath Tessmann
    17. Chris Heiberg
    18. Oliver Hoskins
    19. Adam Coleman
    20. Kane Koteka
    21. Ian Prior
    22. Sias Ebersohn
    23. Mitchell Scott

Veteran
    vCash
    I like burton - thin he will do much better this time at full back - more experience around the pace of super rugby at full back.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Bugger - still no Gus.

Still not sure the 12/13 swap experiment is working either.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast