Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: COWAN RETURNS TO FACE HURRICANES

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

COWAN RETURNS TO FACE HURRICANES

Loosehead prop Pek Cowan will return to the Western Force starting line-up to face the Wellington Hurricanes at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) on Friday night (27 February) – the opening home match of the club’s 10th Asteron Life Super Rugby season.

Cowan was carried from the field in the club’s opening round match against the NSW Waratahs in Sydney, with scans clearing him of any serious injury.

The match will be the 28-year-old’s 93rd for the Western Force – allowing him to surpass Nathan Sharpe (92 matches) as the second most-capped player for the club. Matt Hodgson (113 matches) remains the most-capped Western Force player.

Lock Steve Mafi has received his first opportunity in the starting XV after two strong performances from the bench, and will replace the injured Adam Coleman (hip) in the second row.

Dynamic back-rower Brynard Stander has also been provided with his first run-on start for 2015, and will start at openside flanker in place of the injured pairing of Matt Hodgson (hamstring) and Chris Alcock (ankle).

In the backline, Zack Holmes will shift from fullback to flyhalf, allowing Luke Burton to start in the ‘15’ jersey.

The Force reserves list sees Future Force and Wests Scarborough flanker Kane Koteka in line to make his Asteron Life Super Rugby debut, while Rory Walton returns to the match day 23 for the first time since Round 17 in 2013.

Western Force Head Coach Michael Foley says his side is looking forward to playing its first match of the season on home soil.

“We look forward to every game we play at home in front of our passionate supporters” he said.

“It’s pleasing to have Pek return to the squad, as Friday marks another milestone in his career becoming the second most-capped player in the club’s history.

“It also represents an excellent opportunity for both Steve [Mafi] and Kane [Koteka] in their starting and Super Rugby debuts respectively.

“Steve’s hard work through pre-season has shown in the impact he’s had in the opening two games and Kane has earned a lot of respect through his performances in NRC and this season’s trials.”

Tickets are available for the Western Force’s match against the Wellington Hurricanes at the ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium) on Friday, 27 February. Tickets are available from www.westernforce.com.au.

2015 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week Three
    Western Force v Hurricanes
    The ‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium), Perth
    Friday, 27 February 2015
    Kick-off: 7pm

1. Pekahou Cowan
    2. Nathan Charles
    3. Tetera Faulkner
    4. Sam Wykes (c)
    5. Steve Mafi*
    6. Angus Cottrell
    7. Brynard Stander
    8. Ben McCalman
    9. Alby Mathewson
    10. Zack Holmes
    11. Marcel Brache
    12. Solomoni Jnr Rasolea
    13. Kyle Godwin
    14. Luke Morahan
    15. Luke Burton

Reserves
    16. Heath Tessmann
    17. Chris Heiberg
    18. Oliver Hoskins
    19. Rory Walton
    20. Kane Koteka**
    21. Ian Prior
    22. Sias Ebersohn
    23. Mitchell Scott
    * denotes Western Force/Super Rugby starting debut
    ** denotes Western Force/Super Rugby debut

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    No mention of "the Badge"?

Great to see Pek back though.

Veteran
    vCash
    Good luck Kane - I am sure there will be a bunch of extra's down hoping he gets his debut!

I like Mafi's size in the second row - i hope he can keep the aggression up, as we need the 'ard bastard there, along side stander.

Hopefully Holmes smashes it at 10 and burton does the same. There has been a lot of movement this week, and hopefully it will allow the backline into the game, as that has been sorely missed.

No Badger though...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006 View Post
    No mention of "the Badge"?
    Not risking his ankle. Will be back next week.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Info on The Badge in this thread http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=36256

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Bring back James Stannard!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    I think it's a good move to throw Zac in at 10. 15 doesn't really seem to be his go and Sias kicked too much and too poorly last week. If nothing else. If nothing else it says that poor performances won't be tolerated this year, but doesn't totally deride the player (which would have been the story if both Zac and Sias were benched)

Hopefully Zac holds the ball plenty, we starve them of possession and the forward pack understand that it's their job to make sure Zac gets the ball consistently with plenty of time so that he's not forced to kick.

Once he CHOOSES to kick, we need a gutbusting chase from one of the back three to run everybody else onside ASAP and get our pigs into their faces.

Rugby is such a simple game innit?

C'mon the

Rookie
    vCash
    We have a Japanese international and a NPC player in the squad who have both played fullback. Mr foley selected a 5/8th to replace DHP and now a 5/8th / centre. I'm not criticising neither selector nor players. Could somebody just shed a little light on the reasoning for me please?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    1,2,3 I really hope our boys can stand their man against Goodes Coles and Franks
    4. Sam Wykes (c).... Sam has done nothing on the field as Lock or captain work rate is poor not sure why the coaches have picked him
    5. Steve Mafi*... played well but Where is Wilhelm Steenkamp ???
    7. Brynard Stander I really hope he can produce what I think he can.
    10. Zack Holmes a 25 game 97 point rookie that has mostly started from the bench, Big ask to play against Beauden Barrett a veteran with 594 points behind his name however this is Zack's opertunity to shine and to thank the coaching staff for trusting him in the pivot role
    13. Kyle Godwin needs to run straighter he cant drift sideways at 13 if he has good outside backs like Luke M and Marcel B looking for a bit of space to run
    15. Luke Burton... Where is Akihito Yamada 58 tries over four seasons as an outside back is definitely something to consider Luke B is a 20 year old inexperienced 5/8 ...

Reserves
    If Akihito Yamada was not good enough for the starting squad then maybe at least on the bench
    22. Sias Ebersohn Top point scorer for the club and he is on the bench... WTF is going on here

Someone need to stand up and talk I have not seen such a quite team like the one we had against the reds the boys need to be talked into a good place on the field.

Like every Friday I will be wearing one of my Force shirt to work and regardless of all the odds against us I will believe we can win it up and until the final whistle blows.... even if we trail 18-6, 1 minute before the end of the game.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    I think we may be in for a shellacking here
    hope I'm wrong

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    1,2,3 I really hope our boys can stand their man against Goodes Coles and Franks
    4. Sam Wykes (c).... Sam has done nothing on the field as Lock or captain work rate is poor not sure why the coaches have picked him
    5. Steve Mafi*... played well but Where is Wilhelm Steenkamp ???
    7. Brynard Stander I really hope he can produce what I think he can.
    10. Zack Holmes a 25 game 97 point rookie that has mostly started from the bench, Big ask to play against Beauden Barrett a veteran with 594 points behind his name however this is Zack's opertunity to shine and to thank the coaching staff for trusting him in the pivot role
    13. Kyle Godwin needs to run straighter he cant drift sideways at 13 if he has good outside backs like Luke M and Marcel B looking for a bit of space to run
    15. Luke Burton... Where is Akihito Yamada 58 tries over four seasons as an outside back is definitely something to consider Luke B is a 20 year old inexperienced 5/8 ...

Reserves
    If Akihito Yamada was not good enough for the starting squad then maybe at least on the bench
    22. Sias Ebersohn Top point scorer for the club and he is on the bench... WTF is going on here

Someone need to stand up and talk I have not seen such a quite team like the one we had against the reds the boys need to be talked into a good place on the field.

Like every Friday I will be wearing one of my Force shirt to work and regardless of all the odds against us I will believe we can win it up and until the final whistle blows.... even if we trail 18-6, 1 minute before the end of the game.
    So true - mysterious and more mysteriouser things happening this week - hope we're not going off the rails already. Although I do think Sias seems to have hit a pothole and either the game plan instructions were useless last week or he wasn't listening, I don't know. We really do need to get the new recruits blooded on the field & seeing as we'll probably get towelled anyway why not let them have a go?

Player
    vCash
    Spot on valzc.
    Why not give the running game that Holmes and burton seemed to generate in the trials a go?

In fact I hope they go in with the trial attitude and just try things and go for it.

After last week, losing this game with a running backline type of game and in your face attitude will be a lot better than losing with a forward dominated grinding type of game. We know they can do that, why not get a few more tools in the tool bag.

It would certainly make a few critics think twice.

Btw I still believe we will win it of course

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    I think we may be in for a shellacking here
    hope I'm wrong
    We do our best work in those moments.

Just throwin' it out there

C'mon the

vCash
    Sias DO NOT KICK away possession......and PLEASE have your radar working tonight.. PLEEEASE!!! I have had a S*** week at work and need this to lift my spirits... as do all the Sea of Blue... C'Arn the Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Sias DO NOT KICK away possession......and PLEASE have your radar working tonight.. PLEEEASE!!! I have had a S*** week at work and need this to lift my spirits... as do all the Sea of Blue... C'Arn the Force
    Sias isn't in the team tonight Hertryk ;-)

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast