Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FORCE STARTS 10TH SEASON WITH WIN OVER WARATAHS

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

FORCE STARTS 10TH SEASON WITH WIN OVER WARATAHS

The Western Force has opened its 10th season of Asteron Life Super Rugby with a bonus-point 25-13 victory over reigning champions, the NSW Waratahs, in Sydney this afternoon.

In a physical encounter, the win was set up by the Force’s hard-working and courageous forward pack with the Western Australian side defending admirably across the field and maintaining their composure throughout the match to take the opportunities on hand for points.

The Force held a 8-3 advantage at the break before laying on three tries in the second half, with Angus Cottrell, Luke Morahan and Francois van Wyk all crossing. The Waratahs crossed for two second half tries of their own, both through winger Rob Horne.

The four-tries-to-two victory marks the first time in the club’s history that the Force has won the opening match of its season, with the 12-point victory marking the team’s biggest away win in Australia. It is also the first time the Force has recorded back-to-back victories over the Waratahs.

The Western Force will now travel to Brisbane to take on the Queensland Reds at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday, 21 February.

WHAT THEY SAID… Michael Foley, Western Force Head Coach
    “It was very courageous. You come into a game like this knowing what sort of challenge it is: you’re playing the best team in the comp at their home first up, which we did last year. You know what it’s going to take because your footy’s not going to be perfect this time of year. I take my hat off to the courage that was shown out there today and I thought the defence was magnificent.

“We had a little chance early [to score a try] and missed it, and they’re the sort of things that can be distracting. As I said to the team just now, they showed a lot of maturity in the first part of the game because there were a few things that didn’t come off for us and we stayed composed.

“It’s a massive challenge to beat the Waratahs and part of that challenge is to remain composed when things don’t quite go well for you and they have their moments. I thought our guys were excellent in that space today.”

2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week One
    Sunday, 15 February 2015 at Allianz Stadium, Sydney Kick-off: 4.05pm (local)/1.05pm (AWST) Crowd: 20,271

Western Force 25 (Chris Alcock, Angus Cottrell, Luke Morahan, Francois van Wyk tries; Sias Ebersohn 1/3 conversions, 1/2 penalty goals, drop goals 0/1, Zack Holmes 0/1 conversions) defeated NSW Waratahs 13 (Rob Horne 2 tries; Bernard Foley 0/2 conversions, 1/2 penalties)

Half time: Western Force 8-3
    Yellow Cards: Wycliff Paul (35th min), Alby Mathewson (54th minute)
    Red Cards: Nil
    Referee: Steve Walsh

Western Force
    1. Pek Cowan, 2. Nathan Charles, 3. Tetera Faulkner, 4. Sam Wykes (c), 5. Adam Coleman, 6. Angus Cottrell, 7. Chris Alcock, 8. Ben McCalman, 9. Alby Mathewson, 10. Sias Ebersohn, 11. Marcel Brache, 12. Solomoni Jnr Rasolea, 13. Kyle Godwin, 14. Luke Morahan, 15. Dane Haylett-Petty.

Reserves: 16. Heath Tessmann, 17. Francois van Wyk, 18. Oliver Hoskins, 19. Steve Mafi, 20. Brynard Stander, 21. Ian Prior, 22. Zack Holmes, 23. Luke Burton.

Head Coach: Michael Foley

NSW Waratahs
    1. Benn Robinson, 2. Tatafu Polota Nau, 3. Sekope Kepu, 4. Dave Dennis (c), 5. Will Skelton, 6. Jacques Potgieter, 7. Michael Hooper, 8. Wycliff Palu, 9. Nick Phipps, 10. Bernard Foley, 11. Rob Horne, 12. Kurtley Beale, 13. Adam Ashley-Cooper, 14. Taqele Naiyaravoro, 15. Israel Folau.

Res: 16. Tolu Latu, 17. Jeremy Tilse, 18. Paddy Ryan, 19. Sam Lousi, 20. Mitchell Chapman, 21. Stephen Hoiles, 22. Brendan McKibbin, 23. Matt Carraro.

Head Coach: Michael Cheika

BY THE CLOCK
    Min Score
    5 Waratahs chasers penalised for being in front of the kicker. Sias Ebersohn attempts kick at goal 12 metres in from touch but misses. 0-0
    9 Winger Marcel Brache charges down a Nick Phipps clearing kick but is unable to cleanly ground the ball in goal in an attempt to score the try. 0-0
    12 Waratahs penalised for being offside. Ebersohn kicks the penalty from three metres inside the halfway line. 3-0
    18 Ebersohn drop goal attempt charged down by Will Skelton. 3-0
    24 Force attacking scrum penalised on their 22m line. Bernard Foley kicks the penalty goal from in front. 3-3
    35 Wycliff Palu receives a yellow card for being offside defending his try line. 3-3
    36 Adam Coleman wins the Force lineout five metres from the try line, with Chris Alcock at the back of the rolling maul to score the try. Ebersohn misses the conversion. 8-3
    HALF TIME 8-3
    46 The Force win their own scrum 5m out from their attacking line. Twelve phases later, Angus Cottrell steps through one tackle to score under the posts. Ebersohn converts. 15-3
    50 The Force is penalised for being offside. Foley misses the attempt at goal. 15-3
    54 Alby Mathewson given a yellow card for being offside at the ruck inside his own quarter. 15-3
    54 From the penalty, the Waratahs spread the ball wide with winger Rob Horne touching down in the corner. Foley misses the conversion attempt. 15-8
    68 The Western Force chase through a clearing kick with Mathewson claims the ball before kicking across field for open winger Luke Morahan, who picks up the ball on the line to score. Ebersohn misses the conversion. 20-8
    71 Adam Ashley-Cooper penalised for not releasing the ball. Ebersohn misses the penalty goal. 20-8
    73 Kurtley Beale chip kicks inside his own quarter, with Force prop Francois van Wyk marking the ball before running 15 metres to score the try. Zack Holmes misses the conversion. 25-8
    77 From a lineout, the Waratahs spread the ball wide to the left with Israel Folau finding space before putting Horne away for his second try of the afternoon. Foley misses the conversion. 25-13
    FULL TIME 25-13

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    That just hit the nail on the head for me..... They didn't lost composure.... Historically the Force has always got rattled when shit happens, but as was evident in the trials they held firm and showed maturity and focus to not get rattled. Kudos to the coaching team for great prep work. They knew what they were going into and they were well prepared - so proud of these young guys.

9 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Now on to the reds and I think it'll be like the first game of the season.

Reds should look completely different form this week, but they are coached by Richard Graham, so there's no telling what he'll do.

He might just try a patient approach with a badly beaten team and pick the same 15 blokes to do the same thing, but who in their right mind would bank on that as a guarantee?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Now on to the reds and I think it'll be like the first game of the season.

Reds should look completely different form this week, but they are coached by Richard Graham, so there's no telling what he'll do.

He might just try a patient approach with a badly beaten team and pick the same 15 blokes to do the same thing, but who in their right mind would bank on that as a guarantee?
    Especially when you've got Horwill as a loose cannon, who knows what stunt he's gonna pull. The guy is seriously going off the rails In a big way. Seems fairly obvious he has no respect for DH. Must be hard Doe the Force to set a game plan the when the Reds are such a mess, maybe they'll get their shit together this week?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    maybe they'll get their shit together this week?
    yeah, I think the problem is that you have to plan for it no matter how unlikely it is.

Watch O'Connor and Thompson get rushed back this week, O'Connor will go to ten even though you can't tell much about Hunt. hunt to Fullback.

Dick will also look at Ant Finger, because it's always the players with him don't know who will replace Horwill when the Judiciary rubs him out for at least one week.

C'mon the

vCash
    who will replace Horwill when the Judiciary rubs him out for at least one week.
    He's in the clear http://www.superxv.com/45473/1/reds-...d#.VOC3a82UcWM

vCash
    ... O'Connor will go to ten...
    In that case, I'm very much looking forward to next week!

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    I think that's very kind, some judiciaries will impose a week for anything where the red card was justified. The reasoning that he wasn't aware of the second warning is a bit strange as well since both penalties were for slowing the ball down weren't they.

Surely the first warning still stands. Also a direct admonition from the ref to 'be very careful' when he offended immediately after returning to the field could be taken as a warning.

A case could be made to show that he completely ignored any directness from the ref and deliberately and consistently used tactics outside the law to play the game.

C'mon the

vCash
    Does anyone know how Pek is?
    Time for the weekly email to FOX asking how much longer the PLONKERS in the commentary box are to keep their jobs..what a pathetic load of one eyed whatsits.. I turned it off after 5 mins..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    Time for the weekly email to FOX asking how much longer the PLONKERS in the commentary box are to keep their jobs..what a pathetic load of one eyed whatsits.. I turned it off after 5 mins..
    He's ok Hertryk. He tweeted last night saying he'd been given the all clear and should be right in a week! So relieved!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    I think that's very kind, some judiciaries will impose a week for anything where the red card was justified. The reasoning that he wasn't aware of the second warning is a bit strange as well since both penalties were for slowing the ball down weren't they.

Surely the first warning still stands. Also a direct admonition from the ref to 'be very careful' when he offended immediately after returning to the field could be taken as a warning.

A case could be made to show that he completely ignored any directness from the ref and deliberately and consistently used tactics outside the law to play the game.

You make some good points there. One thing's for sure, he's a marked man by the ref when we play him this week which is a plus for us.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    He's ok Hertryk. He tweeted last night saying he'd been given the all clear and should be right in a week! So relieved!
    Thanks Alison..that is such a relief..I have hardly slept all night.. I was in the office here at 6.30am trolling all the sites hoping SOMEONE would say SOMETHING!! You're a gem ... maybe I'll have nap now

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SinBin View Post
    You make some good points there. One thing's for sure, he's a marked man by the ref when we play him this week which is a plus for us.
    Do you know who the ref is for this week's game SinBin?

Proudly Western Australian; Proudly supporting Western Australian rugby

vCash
    Kearns was absolutely pathetic and very condescending. But I thought Rod Kafer was pulling him up and keeping him honest.

vCash
    ...I was in the office here at 6.30am trolling all the sites...
    trawling?

The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast