Robert Kitson - Sportblog
The Guardian

Plenty has been said and written about modern rugby union but it was England’s oldest living player who offered this week’s most lacerating verdict. “There is no room for finesse any more,” lamented Harry Walker, who made his Test debut in 1947 and celebrated his 100th birthday on Wednesday. “If someone beats one man about three others hit him. They have got no chance. It’s a different game … 11 across the park, I don’t like it.”

more: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...ion-too-strong

The whole article is an interesting read on the direction of the game - and I know it smacks of "Ah - but for the good old days!", but I do wonder about the game morphing into League......

I can't help but think that if Larkham were trying to make it as a new player his sidestep would be overshadowed by his lack of bulk to "bend the line".

And as one of the "wide as I am tall" brigade, the last refuge of prop being taken over by those who formerly would have been second rowers brings a small sigh!

Finesse? One of my (ancient) memories is of dimunitive All Black winger Grant Batty sprinting down the tramlines, chip-kicking over his opposing wing, sidestepping to recover it on the full and darting in for a try. All Class! (and he simply threw the ball to the kicker and wandered back to position - no Gridiron or Soccer celebration)

And don't let me get started about scrums!

OK - febrile fantasies over - I will tuck the cashmere blanky back over my knees and watch the opening round of the season (and enjoy it).