Thread: FORCE KICKS OFF PRE-SEASON WITH WIN OVER BRUMBIES

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

FORCE KICKS OFF PRE-SEASON WITH WIN OVER BRUMBIES

The Western Force has opened its 2015 pre-season campaign with a 31-21 victory over the ACT Brumbies at McGillivray Oval this evening.

The home side dominated the first half of the match, transferring pressure into points with three unanswered tries to Luke Morahan, Chris Alcock and Marcel Brache to lead 17-7 at half-time.

While the visitors claimed the better running of the third term, the Western Australians closed out the match with two tries in the final 20 minutes to run out 10-point victors.

Western Force head coach Michael Foley said there was some positive signs ahead of the club’s 10th season of Asteron Life Super Rugby.

“That first 40 was exactly what we wanted; it was a tough contest and we won that first 20 and came out on top at half-time,” he said.

“We definitely wanted to win as much as they wanted to win and I thought we played a good first 40, however, there were a few good chances to score early in that second half that we didn’t take and we’ve got to get better than that.

“I think we’re still rusty but we did some good things and, as I said to the guys, they should be very pleased with coming out here against a tough opposition, that we didn’t get to face in the pre-season last year.”

After withstanding an initial Brumbies burst, the Western Force was first to score when Kyle Godwin found space out wide before grubbering through for Morahan to run onto the ball and cross in the seventh minute. Sias Ebersohn slotted added conversion for a 7-0 lead.

Four minutes into the second quarter, Alcock added a second when he pounced on a loose ball from the lineout to outpace the converging defence over the 35 metres to give the home side a 12-0 advantage.

The Brumbies cause was hindered when Brumbies lock Tom Staniforth was shown a yellow card in the 32nd minute for dragging down a rolling maul, with the Force capitalising by sending the ball wide to winger Brache, who scored in the corner to extend the lead to 17-0.

The Brumbies wrestled back momentum in the final minutes of the half, with David Pocock crossing on the stroke of half-time to bring the visitors to within 17-7 at the break.

The ACT side then took the early running of the second term, controlling the match and shortening the lead to 17-14 when Christian Lealiifano benefited from some quick passing in contact by his teammates to cross next to the posts.

Starved of the run of play in the third quarter, the Force returned fire in the fourth – pushing the lead out to 24-14 when Wilhelm Steenkamp crashed over from the base of the ruck before Zack Holmes delivered a neat inside pass for newcomer Mitch Scott to burrow over the try line. Holmes added both conversions for a 31-14 lead with 14 minutes remaining.

The Brumbies responded in the closing seconds of the match when Sean Doyle crossed off the back of the rolling maul, but it wasn’t enough with the Force running out 31-21 victors.

The Western Force will play their final pre-season match next Saturday, 31 January against the Asia Pacific Dragons at McGillivray Oval, Mt Claremont. Kick-off is at 5pm. Tickets are available in the Western Force Team Store and at the venue on match day.

2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Pre-Season
    Friday, 23 January 2015 at McGillivray Oval, Perth
    Kick-off: 5pm

Western Force 31 (Luke Morahan, Chris Alcock, Marcel Brache, Mitchell Scott, Wilhelm Steenkamp tries; Sias Ebersohn 1/3 conversions, Zack Holmes 2/2 conversions) defeat Brumbies 21 (David Pocock, Christian Lealiifano, Sean Doyle tries; Rodney Iona 2/2 conversions, Nic White 1/1 conversion)

Yellow Cards: Tom Staniforth (32nd min), Wilhelm Steenkamp (76th minute)
    Red Cards: Nil
    Referee: Andrew Lees

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    The home side dominated the first half of the match, transferring pressure into points with three unanswered tries to Luke Morahan, Chris Alcock and Marcel Brache to lead 17-7 at half-time.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Sias needs to practice by the looks of things.... 1/3 Early days

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    For the love of god Jo, don't start this shit so early.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    Foley keeps lid on Force win
    Nick Taylor
    Foley keeps lid on Force win - The West Australian

Western Force coach Michael Foley wasn't getting carried away, but said last night's 31-21 win over the Brumbies in their first pre-season trial was a benchmark for the Super Rugby season.
    He was pleased with the first half and last 20 minutes of the clash in front of 2000 spectators at UWA Sports Ground, but expects more against the Asia Pacific Dragons next Saturday at the same ground.
    "If we play only like that next week and not better we should be a bit disappointed," Foley said.
    "We lost our way but fought our way back. We're still rusty but we did some good things.
    "I don't get carried away. It's just a marker in the sand."
    Foley wants a more up-tempo style with impact at the line this Super season and there was a willingness to move the ball and use deft kicks behind the defence
    It was clear that the rolling maul from the line-out is again going to be an important piece of the armoury.
    Foley started with what will be his expected first choice Super Rugby front row and back line but interestingly he moved Kyle Godwin to outside centre, an indication that he will interchange with Junior Rasolea in midfield.
    The Force led 17-7 at half-time and though the Brumbies injected their stars at the break, the home side finished the game with five tries to the visitors' three.

vCash
    Hopefully just 1 of the benchmarks they reach this season!! Really impressed with their attitude at the game - managed to rally themselves when the tempo shifted and didn't get flustered as they have tended to do previously. Obviously Foley doesn't want to show too much and scrum was a bit of a worry but attacking game is WOW!

vCash
    Anybody hear an estimate of crowd size? - I am never good at estimating those things, but looked like a good turnout from the middle of the bank.

'God invented beer to prevent Props from taking over the world'

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    Anybody hear an estimate of crowd size? - I am never good at estimating those things, but looked like a good turnout from the middle of the bank.
    From The west story above:
    He was pleased with the first half and last 20 minutes of the clash in front of 2000 spectators at UWA Sports Ground, but expects more against the Asia Pacific Dragons next Saturday at the same ground.

vCash
    Seemed like more than 2k to me.

I like the way Foles has avoided too much praise in the wake of a trial win. Everybody knows they don't really mean anything and the team has had a problem with overconfidence in the past. Hopefully that is truly in the past and they'll carry on the good work from last year, but you can't be too careful.

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Seemed like more than 2k to me.

I like the way Foles has avoided too much praise in the wake of a trial win. Everybody knows they don't really mean anything and the team has had a problem with overconfidence in the past. Hopefully that is truly in the past and they'll carry on the good work from last year, but you can't be too careful.
    Probably didn't count the kids cos they were free

vCash
    2k is pretty piss poor

vCash

Crowd size

2000 is not a bad size considering that the 'Grandstand' has a thumping great tree in the middle. I live in the Hills so clearly love trees, but that is one I could happily live without. Plenty of time before the next game for a bit of gentle pruning .... down to around 30 cms should make it a useful beer table for those sitting near.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

vCash
    2000 for 5pm Friday kick off isn't all bad. I know a couple of people who couldn't skip out of work. I propose that the next match (Saturday) will be higher numbers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    2000 for 5pm Friday kick off isn't all bad. I know a couple of people who couldn't skip out of work. I propose that the next match (Saturday) will be higher numbers.
    Friday of a long weekend too. I thought it was a great turn out.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!