Thread: SBW and Cooper in fight night

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

SBW and Cooper in fight night

Darren Walton December 19, 2014, 9:38 am

Sonny Bill Williams and Quade Cooper will headline the action at the inaugural Footy Show Fight Night in Sydney next month.

Fellow football stars Paul Gallen and All Blacks forward Liam Messam, along with rising Australian boxer Willis Meehan, will also feature in January 31 event at Allphones Arena.

Unbeaten in six heavyweight bouts, Williams will take on American Chauncy Welliver, a vastly experienced competitor who has won 55 of his 70 professional fights.

It will be the dual international's first fight since beating South African Frans Botha in a controversial 10-round encounter in February last year.

Organisers have yet to finalise an opponent for cruiserweight Cooper, who is undefeated in his two fights.

The Queensland Reds playmaker enjoyed a sparring session with Wallabies coach Michael Cheika on Australia's spring tour last month and said he was grateful for the ARU's approval to fight during the off-season.

"Just a few rounds on one of the captain's runs," Cooper said.

"I looked at it as a different way to do some fitness. I was going to look at finding a gym and do some boxing anyway and Cheika just hit me up and said he'll go buy some gloves."

Williams said he also sounded All Blacks coach Steve Hansen before committing to a seventh professional bout.

"The major concern for myself was getting his approval," Williams said.

"He said that as long as I don't get knocked out, he's happy with it.

"So hopefully that's the plan."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...n-fight-night/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Cooper says boxing will help his rugby

By Darren Walton December 19, 2014, 1:44 pm

Wallabies playmaker Quade Cooper says being allowed to box professionally a fortnight out from the 2015 Super Rugby season will not only enhance his World Cup claims but keep him out of strife.

Unbeaten in two bouts, cruiserweight Cooper will feature alongside Paul Gallen and Sonny Bill Williams in the inaugural Footy Show Fight Night in Sydney on January 31.

Cooper says boxing will help his rugby

Cooper's Queensland Reds open their campaign in a blockbuster Australian derby against the Brumbies in Canberra on February 13.

The mercurial midfielder says he appreciates having the support of Reds mentor Richard Graham and Wallabies coach Michael Cheika, with the pair bonding after sparring together on last month's spring tour of Europe.

"Just a few rounds on one of the captain's runs," Cooper said on Friday.

"I looked at it as a different way to do some fitness. I was going to look at finding a gym and do some boxing anyway and Cheika just hit me up and said he'll go buy some gloves.

"To me, that was him reaching out. He knew it was something that I enjoyed doing and he went out of his comfort zone to help me improve at something that I enjoy doing."

Cooper said he spoke to Cheika after the tour and the coach agreed boxing would help the 26-year-old to stay focused, something the 53-Test star hasn't always managed to do during his Christmas holiday breaks.

Cooper candidly recalled how, as 21-year-old rookie fresh from the 2009 spring tour, he was charged with burglary on the Gold Coast after allegedly stealing laptops from a home while intoxicated.

The charges were dropped several months later.

"After my first tour, I got into a bit of trouble because all I wanted to do was drink alcohol," he told AAP.

"So it's great having another outlet to help me stay fit and focused.

"The difficult part is seeing everybody else go on holidays but understanding this is my choice.

"I think it benefits me not only as an athlete but as a person ... this is pretty much the most difficult time to be able to stay focused on any kind of working out."

The Wallabies star believes boxing will give him a head start in a hotly-contested race for a playmaker's spot in Australia's 2015 Rugby World Cup campaign.

Not only is Cooper battling with playmakers Bernard Foley, Kurtley Beale, Matt Toomua and Christian Lealiifano, but James O'Connor's return to Australian rugby and Karmichael Hunt's defection from AFL to the Reds further adds to Cheika's embarrassment of backline riches.

"Next year is a massive year for every rugby nation," Cooper said.

"And every player talks about ways of getting extra percentages - whether it be half a per cent, one per cent or two per cent, and I think boxing is my edge.

"The competition for spots is really hot, but that's what you want.

"You want to be part of a team that's tough to make.

"If you're a walk-up start every year, that only breeds complacency."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...elp-his-rugby/

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    A bunch of hobos or has beens will be organised for these blokes to fight.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    probably me

vCash
    I'd back you Gunny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    probably me
    Your not a hobo

vCash
    VERY slow news week.

I love Christmas. I love January too cause we go on hols every year. But when we get back that's ok too because it's Rugby Season by then.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    probably me
    I think an all (most) black trial list like yourself would need to take a dive against Cooper........I'm pretty sure that's the kind of boxer they're looking for so you might make some easy coin if you feel like eating some canvas.

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    A bunch of hobos or has beens will be organised for these blokes to fight.
    Yep, your bang on. Does nothing for the sport of boxing. Just lines a few pockets

vCash
    I hope the main event is Botha vs Bugner

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    No doubt their opponents will be old plonkers but still clubs need to be making their contracts more watertight to stop this and the potential of their players receiving injuries that rules them out of rugby.

Just quietly I would like to see both of them smashed. I still would not pay to see that, however.

vCash
    probably me
    well, barring slipping on spilt milk in a woolworths aisle or on the footpath of your local council, I hope you that have never been paid as handsomely to fall over as you will in this particular case.