Thread: Adam Ashley-Cooper, James Horwill to join European clubs

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Adam Ashley-Cooper, James Horwill to join European clubs

Last updated 12:55, December 18 2014

Australia's post-World Cup exodus is already in motion with former captain James Horwill and utility back Adam Ashley-Cooper confirming they will join European clubs after next year's global showpiece.

Horwill, a 29-year-old lock capped 58 times for the Wallabies, has signed a three-year deal with London club Harlequins, while 30-year-old Ashley-Cooper will join Top 14 club Bordeaux on a two-year contract.

"As hard as it will be to leave Ballymore, my team mates, the staff and all my fans and friends in Queensland, I've been offered a fantastic opportunity with Harlequins to experience rugby in another part of the world and this is right for me at this stage of my rugby career," Horwill, who led the Queensland Reds to the 2011 Super Rugby title, said in a Harlequins statement.

"I'm completely committed to helping the Reds and Australia achieve success in this World Cup year and then I'll turn my attention to the next chapter of my life in rugby with Harlequins."

Horwill has struggled to cement a place in the Wallabies' starting 15 in recent seasons, but the versatile Ashley-Cooper, who can play centre, wing or fullback, will leave a large hole in the Wallabies backline.

"I look forward to participating in the future of the club after the World Cup 2015 (and) I am extremely grateful for my career in Australia and I want to thank the ARU and the Waratahs for their support over the past decade," said Ashley-Cooper, who celebrated his 100th cap for the Wallabies last season.

The pair will join a long list of Wallabies emigres already plying their trade in Europe, including lock Kane Douglas, backrower Ben Mowen and Matt Giteau.

More seasoned internationals from both the Wallabies and New Zealand's All Blacks are expected to take up lucrative contracts abroad after the World Cup in England.

Both Australia and New Zealand maintain selection policies that preclude players based offshore from playing for the national sides.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...-club-bordeaux

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    So, given that they don't have ARU contracts for 2016, will they be allowed to play for Australia in the RWC?

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    with AAC gone it may free up the 13 position for Godwin. If he wants to transition to 13 i think he would be a good fit for outside Centre.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    So, given that they don't have ARU contracts for 2016, will they be allowed to play for Australia in the RWC?
    Shame the Rugby World Cup is in 2015 when they are contracted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Shame the Rugby World Cup is in 2015 when they are contracted.
    Dan Carter's off to Racing Metro after the World Cup so maybe he's hoping he'll be disqualified too

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well, Keiran got told he wasn't going to get selected as soon as he signed a contract to play in Europe, while he was still playing for the Force, and Cummins wasn't selected again as soon as Super Rugby was over (OK, Japan's Top League started in August, and England in September).

I can't recall Mowen getting selected again after he said he was off to France, nor any of Kane Douglas, Ben Lucas or Rod Davies being mentioned as potential Wallabies for the RC and tour. It seems to be that as soon as you mention you're heading to Europe, you aren't a Wallaby, so by that logic will the ARU not pick AAC & Horwill? I suspect not, as the press release says they join their clubs after the RWC, but am just trying to highlight a potential double standard from the ARU.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    ARU and double standards.......tell him he's dreamin'

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Well, Keiran got told he wasn't going to get selected as soon as he signed a contract to play in Europe, while he was still playing for the Force, and Cummins wasn't selected again as soon as Super Rugby was over (OK, Japan's Top League started in August, and England in September).

I can't recall Mowen getting selected again after he said he was off to France, nor any of Kane Douglas, Ben Lucas or Rod Davies being mentioned as potential Wallabies for the RC and tour. It seems to be that as soon as you mention you're heading to Europe, you aren't a Wallaby, so by that logic will the ARU not pick AAC & Horwill? I suspect not, as the press release says they join their clubs after the RWC, but am just trying to highlight a potential double standard from the ARU.
    Theres just a little difference between AAC Horwill and Longbottom

About 150 test caps.

Why would you select and blood a debutant to then bugger off. AAC and Horwill have bee great servants to aus rugby and have done the right thing In making the announcement. Cummins was selected right up until the release date he asked for.

Fyi alfoil is on sale at coles atm...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

vCash

Why would you cut off your nose to spite face? we need to keep our proven talent in a world cup year as opposed to playing new players.
    and - new coach, so new selections.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Why would you cut off your nose to spite face? we need to keep our proven talent in a world cup year as opposed to playing new players.
    and - new coach, so new selections.
    So....what are you saying, keep the incumbents or blood new players?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    So....what are you saying, keep the incumbents or blood new players?
    If they're still getting paid by the ARU - they are in the selection frame

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    If they're still getting paid by the ARU - they are in the selection frame
    This isn't a cryptic crossword Jono, tell me what you mean.

You know I'm not very smart, you might need to draw a picture.

C'mon the