Thread: Force's Coleman staying grounded

Champion
    vCash

Force's Coleman staying grounded

Can't wait to see this guy back in action

Nick Taylor
    December 3, 2014, 7:17 am

Towering second row Adam Coleman travelled a long road from Tasmania to the Western Force, but when he finally arrived he made an instant impact.
    Coach Michael Foley tipped him for an Australian jumper soon and former Wallabies World Cup-winning coach Bob Dwyer called for the 23-year-old to be given a shot at the national side after just a handful of Super Rugby games last season.
    It is big praise for a big bloke. At 204cm and 122kg he is 4cm taller and 7kg heavier than former Force and Wallabies captain Nathan Sharpe, who is also confident Coleman will make it at Test level.
    "He's got a great future ahead of him. He'll play for Australia one day. It's just a matter of time," Sharpe said. "Whether he makes the World Cup we'll have to see but he's still young and he's got plenty of time to mature.
    "I like his combativeness. He likes to get stuck in, get in the face of the opposition to unhinge them."
    Coleman is keeping his size 16 boots firmly on the ground despite the hype of his debut season when he was a Super Rugby rookie of the year nominee, won the Force rising star award and re-signed for another two years.
    But any chance of a gold jumper was dashed when he needed post-season hip surgery.
    "I just waited for my opportunity and was lucky enough to be given it by Foley," Coleman said.
    "Thankfully the boys were playing pretty good footy at the time and it was good performance as a team. Now I'm just trying to get a spot in the team next year."
    Coleman grew up in the rugby backwater of Tasmania, playing for age representative sides. As a 17-year-old, NRL club Brisbane Broncos offered him a contract.But with father Pau'u Afeaki and cousin Inoke Afeaki both having captained Tonga and relatives Ben Afeaki and Rodney Blake an All Black and Wallaby respectively, there was only one code for Coleman.
    He joined the Brumbies academy in 2010 and was selected for the then ARU National Academy the following year.
    He joined the Force wider training group in 2013 and made 15 appearances last year.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    I'm hoping he's the answer to the wallabies problems at lock, although not sure he'll get enough game time at the Force to push for that in time for the world cup. Our lock stocks are looking rather good next year with Wykes, Coleman, Mafi and Steenkamp!

Any rumours about who we might be getting for the remaining squad positions for 2015?

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    Any rumours about who we might be getting for the remaining squad positions for 2015?
    There's only one spot and they are still talking about another outside back

vCash
    I read somewhere Nemani is no longer coming over because of a long term injury he sustained, so though that left us with 2 open spots.
    If this is up to date, we are at 28 full time spots and 5 EPS at the moment
    http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=35096

vCash
    I think it's very wise for Coleman to take a long term view to any possible Wallaby selection. It doesn't look like they want to introduce too much inexperience in the leadup to World Cup next year and any debutante next year will be a bit of a surprise.

That being said, he could still have an amazing season, outplaying everybody in the league and make it.....I think it would take something like that personally.

C'mon the

vCash
    If memory serves Coleman started games at the end of last season. Foley favours him and I can see him getting a lot of super rugby game time. Can easily see him as the first choice lock and the other position rotated between mafi and steenkamp. Wykes can be Cottrill's understudy at 6.

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiraag View Post
    I read somewhere Nemani is no longer coming over because of a long term injury he sustained, so though that left us with 2 open spots.
    If this is up to date, we are at 28 full time spots and 5 EPS at the moment
    http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=35096
    Nemani's spot has already been filled. It is in a for Mitchell Scott, (http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=3...l=1#post390550).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post
    If memory serves Coleman started games at the end of last season. Foley favours him and I can see him getting a lot of super rugby game time. Can easily see him as the first choice lock and the other position rotated between mafi and steenkamp. Wykes can be Cottrill's understudy at 6.
    I think Wykes carries significant mana in the squad, he captained the spirit in the finals, that tells me he'll be the first choice lock and the others will be picked around him.

Given that Wykesey can be a bit hit n miss, that's not necessarily a good thing, let's hope he hits more than he misses.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    We won't be able to keep either Steenkamp or Mafi forever, so Coleman is our future and has to be brought through at his own pace. If that means he starts pushing for a spot quickly, he has to be allowed it otherwise he will move for the opportunity. That would be a very poor outcome from having marquee players.

While the front row will really have to step up next year, the locks and back row look amazing. I assume there need to be a horses-for-courses approach taken, otherwise (and maybe even then) I can't see us keeping them all. That is barring injury of course, but like Coleman I hope they always keep very clear sight of which players they are bringing through and have to retain. When we need a big pack though, I'm imagining what a 4-8 of Steenkamp, Coleman, Mafi, Hodgson and McCalman might be capable of in the set-piece, tight and open...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I'm imagining what a 4-8 of Steenkamp, Coleman, Mafi, Hodgson and McCalman might be capable of in the set-piece, tight and open...
    Jeez that's a bruising list of names,

Alternately we could go for Wykes, Mafi, Cotterell, Hodgson and Stander to really run the opposition around (Wykes for mobility, and he seems to be getting smarter calling the lineout)

It must suck to be a backrower at the Force at the moment!

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Jeez that's a bruising list of names,

Alternately we could go for Wykes, Mafi, Cotterell, Hodgson and Stander to really run the opposition around (Wykes for mobility, and he seems to be getting smarter calling the lineout)

It must suck to be a backrower at the Force at the moment!
    Add a fully recovered and raring to Chris Alcock to the list (a huge stand out for The Rams during the NRC).
    Depending on the bench set up, we could red line the collective team motor for 85mins every game throughout the S15!
    Will be immense.

Veteran
    vCash
    There will also be a bit getting ready for Hodgo's retirement. Not sure when, but cannot have too many years left. We have already seen him setting up his post rugby business.