Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SPIRIT RETAINS SQUAD FOR GRAND FINAL SHOWDOWN

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

SPIRIT RETAINS SQUAD FOR GRAND FINAL SHOWDOWN

The Perth Spirit has named an unchanged 23-man side to take on Brisbane City in the inaugural Buildcorp National Rugby Championship (NRC) grand final this Saturday (1 November) at Ballymore Oval, Brisbane.

The Spirit defeated the Melbourne Rising, 45-29, in the semi-final last week on the back of a courageous defensive effort and will look to carry that momentum through against a strong Brisbane City side.

The only change to the starting XV is in the backline with Ammon Matuauto and Junior Rasolea trading jerseys in the centres.

Spirit coach Kevin Foote said the team is excited for Saturday’s grand final.

“A lot of hard work and commitment has gone into this season and we’re very excited to contest the inaugural NRC grand final this Saturday,” Foote said. “It’s humbling to have this opportunity and we are looking forward to the challenge.

“Our effort last week against the Rising was outstanding and we know we will need to match that this week against a Brisbane City side that have a number of strong ball-runners and will be physical at the breakdown and strong at set-piece.

“This competition has allowed us to expose 42 Perth-based players – including 25 outside of the Force senior squad – to high-level rugby and it has broadened our playing base in Western Australia as well as allowing us to continue to build our Super Rugby program.

“This is a big occasion and the boys are looking forward to getting out there, playing for each other and representing our passionate fans and WA rugby community.”

Saturday’s match will be broadcast live on Fox Sports 3 and 3HD and Fox Sports Sports Play with coverage commencing from 4.30pm (AWST).

2014 Buildcorp NRC – Grand Final
    Brisbane City v Perth Spirit
    Ballymore Oval, Brisbane
    Saturday, 1 November 2014
    Kick-off: 6.30pm (local)/4.30pm (AWST)

1. Pek Cowan (West Scarborough)
    2. Robbie Abel (Cottesloe)
    3. Oliver Hoskins (Cottesloe)
    4. Sam Wykes (c) (Wests Scarborough)
    5. Brent Murphy (Perth Bayswater)
    6. Brynard Stander (Nedlands)
    7. Kane Koteka (Wests Scarborough)
    8. Alex Rovira (Associates)

9. Ian Prior (Nedlands)
    10. Zack Holmes (Associates)
    11. Marcel Brache (Perth Bayswater)
    12. Ammon Matuauto (Associates)
    13. Solomoni Rasolea (Cottesloe)
    14. Luke Morahan (Kalamunda)
    15. Dane Haylett-Petty (Cottesloe)

Reserves
    16. Harry Scoble (UWA)
    17. Joe Savage (Palmyra)
    18. Chris Heiberg (Perth Bayswater)
    19. Kieran Stringer (Cottesloe)
    20. Richard Hardwick (UWA)
    21. Justin Turner (Associates)
    22. Davis Tavita (Nedlands)
    23. Christian Joubert (UWA)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Wonder why Ammon & Junior have been switched? Anyone tell me the reason they think?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Brisbane City side named to face Perth Spirit in NRC Grand Final

Seven players with Super Rugby experience will take the field for McInnes Wilson Lawyers Brisbane City in the Buildcorp National Rugby Championship final this weekend.

Brisbane City head coach Nick Stiles has named his side for the inaugural grand final against Perth Spirit at Ballymore Stadium this Saturday, with just one injury forced change to the starting XV that defeated NSW Country Eagles 32-26 in the semi-final last week.

City centre Samu Kerevi has been ruled out due to a quad injury and will be replaced by Easts’ Queensland Premier Rugby-winning utility Jack Mullins, who was Brisbane City’s starting inside centre and opening try scorer in their win over UC Vikings at Suncorp Stadium two weeks ago.

Stiles said while Kerevi’s absence was disappointing, there was still plenty to like about the side contesting the final.

“Samu has had a strong presence for City all season, but this side has made its way to the final through the collective efforts of the entire squad and depth has been one of our strongest assets.

“Jack Mullins has a lot of experience in Premier Rugby, having captained Easts to a title in 2013, and has played inside centre for us previously and played well.

“The key for us this weekend is our attitude. We’ve had our ups and downs, but we’ve worked hard and earned a home grand final and the guys are proud of that and excited for the opportunity to play at Ballymore again.

“Our season has been based on hard work and enjoyment, so I expect nothing less from them this weekend.”

Brisbane City boasts six players with Super Rugby experience in the starting lineup and one on the bench, highlighted by a Super Rugby-strength back row in Curtis Browning, Liam Gill and Jake Schatz.

“Our back row was outstanding in the semi-final. We were able to stop their flow on numerous occasions, so having those guys starting for us again this weekend will be a massive factor,” Stiles said.

The Brisbane City front row remains unchanged, with Easts teammates Pettowa Paraka at loosehead and Andrew Ready at hooker, joined by University of Queensland’s Sef Faagase at tighthead.

GPS’ South African work horse Marco Kotze joins captain Dave McDuling in the second row, with the Reds trio in the back row.

Nick Frisby has overcome a lower back complaint suffered in the NRC semi-final to retain his spot at starting scrumhalf, alongside Sunnybank’s Jake McIntyre at flyhalf.

Mullins is joined by Easts teammate Toby White in the centres, with Sunnybank’s Matt Feaunati on one wing, GPS and Reds winger Chris Kuridrani on the other and former Red and current Samoan national player Brando Va’aulu at fullback.

Brothers’ Matt Mafi, Souths’ David Feao and Phil Kite of GPS offer front row cover on the bench. University of Queensland skipper Tim Buchanan, who earned his Super Rugby debut for the Reds earlier this year, will cover second row, with club teammate Adam Korczyk supporting the back row.

University of Queensland centurion Will Thompson will back up Frisby at scrumhalf, joined by UQ teammate James Dalgleish as flyhalf cover and Sunnybank flyer Junior Laloifi for the outside backs.

The inaugural Buildcorp National Rugby Championship takes place this Saturday, 1 November, with kick off at 6:30pm (AEST). Tickets are available online (at http://bit.ly/1tJC70F) or at the gate. The match will also be broadcast live on Fox Sports.

Tickets start at just $20 for adults and $15 for concession for online purchases and $5 for juniors. Adults and concession tickets will cost an additional $5 if purchased at the gate (adults $25, concession $20).

A family ticket package is also available online for $50, which admits two adults and up to four juniors. As a special offer for the family package, juniors can redeem an exclusive Reds player wall sticker from the merchandise shop at Ballymore Stadium (while stocks last).

Fans are encouraged to arrive early, with curtain raisers starting at 3:30pm (AEST) as Ballymore plays host to the Kings and Queens of Pacific Rugby men’s and women’s finals. Gates open at 3:15pm (AEST).

There will be fun for all the family, with activities planned for Saturday, including a signing session with St.George Queensland Reds players, an opportunity for kids to meet Red Dog and Reds player mascots.

Fans will also have an opportunity to support competition sponsor Buildcorp’s efforts to raise funds for national charity Lifeline, with NRC Rugby balls being sold on the day. Brisbane City will also wear the Lifeline logo on their jersey sleeve, in support of the initiative.

As is tradition at Ballymore, fans will be allowed on the field following the trophy presentation of the NRC final.

McInnes Wilson Lawyers Brisbane City v Perth Spirit
    Grand Final – Ballymore Stadium, Saturday 1 November
    1 Pettowa Paraka – Reds WTS/Easts
    2 Andrew Ready – Reds EPS/Easts
    3 Sef Faagase – Reds WTS/University of Queensland
    4 Marco Kotze – GPS
    5 Dave McDuling (C) – Reds/University of Queensland
    6 Curtis Browning – Reds/University of Queensland
    7 Liam Gill – Reds/Sunnybank
    8 Jake Schatz – Reds/Sunnybank
    9 Nick Frisby – Reds/GPS
    10 Jake McIntyre – Reds WTS/Sunnybank
    11 Matt Feaunati – Sunnybank
    12 Jack Mullins – Easts
    13 Toby White – Easts
    14 Chris Kuridrani – Reds/GPS
    15 Brando Va’aulu - Sunnybank

16 Matt Mafi – Brothers
    17 David Feao – Souths
    18 Phil Kite – Reds WTS/GPS
    19 Tim Buchanan – University of Queensland
    20 Adam Korczyk – University of Queensland
    21 Will Thompson – University of Queensland
    22 James Dalgleish – University of Queensland
    23 Junior Laloifi – Sunnybank

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    We got dis

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    Wonder why Ammon & Junior have been switched? Anyone tell me the reason they think?
    Junior is a genuine 13 and on the weekend there was a gap or two at 12 in defence

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    We got dis
    That's my line

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    That's my line
    And that was Ben Cousins

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Based purely on the squads we should win this. Go the Spirit!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Chances have just improved with Kerevi now N/A with a quad injury......

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The Brisbane backrow is stronger than the Spirit one. Their backrow contains two Wallabies and a trio that have played together regularly at Super Rugby level. Our backrow is promising, but not quite at the same level.

By playing Junior at 13, you are getting our main "power runner" a little bit further from the opposition back row so that there is less pressure on the breakdown, particularly from set piece attack.

Secondly, I would guess that Junior is a better defender than Matuauto. Last week Mitch Inman was the main attack threat and so Junior was better placed at 12. This week Kerevi is out and the threat is further out wide.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I count 7 WA juniors of the 23. Correct?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The Brisbane backrow is stronger than the Spirit one. Their backrow contains two Wallabies and a trio that have played together regularly at Super Rugby level. Our backrow is promising, but not quite at the same level.
    In last week's game against NSW Country both Gill and Schatz were well below their best.
    Would expect the Spirit Back Row to at least break even.

vCash
    Thanks James - helps explain the strategy. But how does it mean less pressure on our breakdown, not sure what you mean? Is that because Junior can get more space/time to run?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Thanks James - helps explain the strategy. But how does it mean less pressure on our breakdown, not sure what you mean? Is that because Junior can get more space/time to run?
    From a scrum or line-out, if you attack from 13 then there is a greater distance for the opposition backrow (mostly the openside flanker) to travel in order to attack the breakdown. A team is generally most vulnerable at the breakdown with the first or second player from the opposition to arrive. So if you are attacking wider, you are less likely to have the opposition open side as "first on scene". You are more likely to have outside backs who are less effective at the breakdown (i.e. more easily cleaned out). This means that you are more likely to secure the ball and more likely to get clean ball to continue the attack. The risk, however, is that if your scrum or line-out does not provide you with clean ball, it will be easier to defend wider out and a turnover may occur due to a dominant tackle, a tackle behind the gain line or at a later breakdown due to a stagnating attack (easier to pilfer ball when the gain line isn't crossed). I think (although I am not certain) that the coach is backing our outside backs man to man vs their outside backs and taking the fight to them there and so reducing the impact that their backrow has. It kind of reminds me of a few times the Force played the Hurricanes where we would have dominance at the breakdown, but fall apart when the Hurricanes started playing with width.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by James; 30-10-14 at 21:10.
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    But then doesn't that mean the "1st phase" of that attack I'll call it is going to be starting out wide which would be a lot riskier ie pushed into touch as there's less room to move. Seems to be putting a lot of faith in Junior's attacking run and a weak defence by opposition - if I've understood you right? So who are the outside backs for City that's Frisby isn't it? Then again the Spirit (and the Force) always have a more positive game when they get up in the face of the opposition. Certainly seemed to work well for them against Rising IMHO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast