Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MICHAEL CHEIKA NEW QANTAS WALLABIES HEAD COACH AS SPRING TOUR SQUAD IS ANNOUNCED

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

MICHAEL CHEIKA NEW QANTAS WALLABIES HEAD COACH AS SPRING TOUR SQUAD IS ANNOUNCED

22/10/2014
    By ARU Media Unit

The Australian Rugby Union today announced NSW Waratahs coach Michael Cheika has been appointed Qantas Wallabies head coach on a three year contract, effective immediately.

Cheika’s appointment follows Ewen McKenzie’s resignation after Australia’s 29-28 loss to New Zealand in Brisbane on Saturday night.

Cheika is currently contracted to the NSW Waratahs until the end of 2015, and will retain that position for 2015 only while coaching the Qantas Wallabies.

ARU CEO Bill Pulver said Michael Cheika was the outstanding candidate for the role.

“Central to our decision was selecting a world-class coach who can lead us to victory in next year’s Rugby World Cup and a person who represents Rugby’s core values.”

“Michael fulfils these requirements. He is also extremely passionate and has a strong track record of motivating teams to win through plenty of hard work.

“I’m confident he will embrace this new challenge and on behalf of the Australian Rugby community, I would like to congratulate him on his appointment,” Mr Pulver said.

Cheika said he was humbled by his appointment.

“I never imagined I would be in the position of coaching our national team and feel extremely honoured to have this opportunity.”

“My mission will be to do the best possible job I can and to motivate the people around me to ensure they are able to represent Australia to the best of their ability.

“I feel the key to any future success will be to ensure we have a strong identity and not letting anything get in the way of our preparation to succeed on the world stage.”

Cheika comes to the role with extensive experience in Rugby as a player and coach domestically and internationally and led the NSW Waratahs to their first-ever Super Rugby title earlier this year.

The appointment comes as the Qantas Wallabies prepare to leave for their Spring Tour on Friday, with games against the Barbarians, Wales, France, Ireland and England.

The 33-man squad for the tour includes three changes to the group which recently assembled in Brisbane to prepare for the All Blacks, including the return of injured duo Matt Toomua and Ben McCalman.

McCalman was initially expected to miss the remainder of 2014 due to a shoulder injury but has improved significantly in recent weeks, to a point where he has been cleared by ARU medical staff to return to play.

Teammate and fellow backrower Scott Fardy will however miss the remainder of the Test season, and underwent surgery for an ongoing knee issue in Canberra yesterday.

The third change sees the inclusion of uncapped Rebels backrower Sean McMahon, who joins the group as one of five potential debutants, alongside prop Tetera Faulkner, centre Kyle Godwin and wingers Henry Speight and Tom English.

In addition to Michael Cheika’s appointment for the Spring Tour, Bill Pulver also announced there will be changes to the Wallabies’ off-field structure to help support the team’s high performance objectives.

“A recent review found we need to introduce a senior position into the Wallabies’ off-field structure to provide additional leadership and general management duties.”

“For the upcoming Spring Tour, our General Manager of Pathways & Performance, Ben Whitaker, will undertake this role, with a permanent appointment and confirmation of what this role will encompass to be made after the Spring Tour.

Ben Whitaker has worked in professional Rugby for the past ten years in a range of roles covering high performance, overseeing national teams and programs; sports science; and sports medicine. Most recently, he has been a driving force behind the Buildcorp National Rugby Championship.

Changes to the Wallabies’ coaching structure for the upcoming Spring Tour have also been announced, with NSW Waratahs defence coach Nathan Grey set to join the team. Grey will be part of a three-man coaching line-up for the Spring Tour, alongside Cheika and existing Forwards Coach Andrew Blades.

Mr Pulver said this means contracts for coaches Nick Scrivener and Jim McKay will end.

“I’d like to thank Nick and Jim for their significant contribution to Australian Rugby.”

“Nick has been a long-serving contributor at the national level under two coaches. Most recently, he has shaped the Wallabies’ defence and had significant input and oversight of the team’s overall training program.

“Jim has been at the forefront of the new attacking style the Wallabies have played in the past year, and we’ve all enjoyed seeing the free-flowing style of Rugby Jim has promoted.

“I would also like to thank Nick and Jim – as well as Andrew Blades – for their incredible leadership, particularly in recent weeks. They were both exceptional in preparing the team to play under difficult circumstances, and this decision should not take away from the high quality of work they produced over a long period.

“Their contribution was highlighted by the Wallabies’ performance against the All Blacks last Saturday night.”

Michael Cheika Background:

47-year-old Michael Cheika played 286 senior games for Sydney Premier Rugby club Randwick; represented Australia in the Under 21s; and played Rugby in France and Italy.

His coaching career includes leading the NSW Waratahs to the club’s first-ever Super Rugby title earlier this year; and leading Irish provincial side Leinster for five years and winning the club’s first ever Heineken Cup in 2009. He has also coached in Italy (Petrarca Rugby in Padova), France (Stade Français in Paris) and at his home club Randwick.

Michael Cheika’s experience outside Rugby includes running a fashion distribution company and working for one of Australia’s leading fashion designers, Collette Dinnigan.

Michael Cheika grew up in Sydney’s Eastern Suburbs and is the son of Lebanese migrants.

He is married with four young children and speaks French, Italian and Arabic

The Qantas Wallabies squad for the 2014 Spring Tour is:

Player State Age Test Caps

Adam Ashley-Cooper NSW Waratahs 30 100
    Ben Alexander ACT Brumbies 29 69
    Sam Carter ACT Brumbies 25 8
    Quade Cooper Queensland Reds 26 50
    Tom English Melbourne Rebels 23 Uncapped
    Saia Fainga’a Queensland Reds 27 32
    Tetera Faulkner Western Force 26 Uncapped
    Israel Folau NSW Waratahs 25 25
    Bernard Foley NSW Waratahs 25 14
    Will Genia Queensland Reds 26 55
    Kyle Godwin Western Force 22 Uncapped
    James Hanson Queensland Reds 26 5
    Scott Higginbotham Melbourne Rebels 28 31
    Matt Hodgson Western Force 33 9
    Michael Hooper (c) NSW Waratahs 22 38
    Rob Horne NSW Waratahs 25 22
    James Horwill Queensland Reds 29 56
    Luke Jones Melbourne Rebels 23 1
    Sekope Kepu NSW Waratahs 28 48
    Tevita Kuridrani ACT Brumbies 23 17
    Christian Leali'ifano ACT Brumbies 27 14
    Josh Mann-Rea ACT Brumbies 33 2
    Ben McCalman Western Force 26 34
    Sean McMahon Melbourne Rebels 20 Uncapped
    Nick Phipps NSW Waratahs 25 24
    Benn Robinson NSW Waratahs 30 69
    Rob Simmons Queensland Reds 25 46
    Will Skelton NSW Waratahs 22 4
    James Slipper Queensland Reds 25 59
    Henry Speight ACT Brumbies 26 Uncapped
    Joe Tomane ACT Brumbies 23 12
    Matt Toomua ACT Brumbies 24 19
    Nic White ACT Brumbies 23 18

http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/Ne...ANNOUNCED.aspx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by The InnFORCEr; 22-10-14 at 10:16.
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Conga Rats to Tet, Ben, Kyle and Matt for the call up!

Veteran
    vCash
    Player State Age Test Caps

Champion
    vCash
    Yah now let's get on with playing rugby!!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good squad with few "darlings" and a lot of hard workers with potential.

Great to see Bongo in the squad so that Hodgo's not the oldest.

Also good to see Macmahon on board so that Kyle doesn't have to look after the Wallaby mascot (Hooper will be pleased as well!)

vCash
    also please note no kurtley

vCash
    That squad can't be right, it's not the NSW squad as suggested by a few around these parts

vCash
    I think a little positional analysis would help to see if there's any change (however change is probably a bit much to hope for in a week)

Note, I'm writing this at work and am likely to miss some stuff, please feel free to add as required

The front row

Who's left out....well Pek would be the biggest name left out. I guess you can't bring Robinson in without losing Pek, but it's a shame. We're obviously drastically short of hookers, so I won't mention them. I think Alexander and Kepu particularly are lucky, and probably only get a seat on the plane because they are already in the squad and too much inexperience would be worse. Alexander is getting regularly towelled up in the scrums and Kepu does nothing around the park.... Our front row needs some new blood!

Locks

Who's left out....well there are a lot more locks running around than front rowers, but are there any you would take a risk on.....Wykes and Colemen would be the Force names I'd throw in the ring, but with the list shown, and no experience in the setup, I'd wait till next year with both of them (if needed) I think the other franchises are well represented (some too well) I won't be ragging on Simmons, since he's actually been doing his job in the lineout this year.....he just needs to learn that there's a difference between mongrel and taking dumb cheap shots right in front of the ref. The two I'd single out as lucky would be Skelton (too slow, too lazy and too big to be lifted, what will he do? ps great attacker, but International rugby needs more than that) and Carter (great workrate, been in everything, but he hasn't really been all that effective)

Flankers

Here's where my lack of interest in the Rebels might trip me up, McMahon is a flanker isn't he? that being said, ONLY 5????? with Higginbotham and Hooper in the list?????? we will be raped at the breakdown, because there will only be one Flanker sitting out of the squad in any game and we have two seagulls in this list. We either need to name more bodies here or ditch one of those two.

Who is in OZ to replace them....I'll look at who I know first, Gus is still getting fit AFAIK, but Chris Alcock would make a suitable replacement In Qld I'd chuck Schatz or Gill at them in preference to Hooper (OK I know it isn't going to happen, but it would be better) from NSW well there's Palu, but he's injured......we're not playing New Zealand or South Africa, so he'd play out of his skin. Canberra, is Fotu Auelua eligible, I'd have him in a heartbeat. I think we'll miss Fardy now that he's off the field!

9-10

This one is pretty predictable and there aren't many alternatives to offer, Nothing in the West, I've named Toomua and Leileii in the Centres and Melbourne are far too green. I've grown to appreciate Phipps, but maybe that's just because Nic White has sucked so badly this year. If there's anything right with the world Bernard Foley will play every minute of every game.

Centres

Another predictable area, with little I can come up with to change it. Good to see Godwin there, I think he's a good chance at cracking a couple of caps, since the only locked in selection in my head is Kuridrani at 13. AAC could easily be named on the wing, and he's certainly not a 12, but Toomua isn't looking quite as potent at 12 as I thought he was last year. It might be time for that change to be made. Lealiifano looked dangerous against the AllBlacks, but wasn't the tower in defense that Toomua has been, so maybe there's room for Kyle to stake a claim.

Outside Backs

So it looks like all their hopes for Fullback are resting on Folau. I wouldn't think that is necessarily all that wise, but they might get away with it. He's certainly been durable enough so far in his career. As for the wingers, there is a pretty good mix there, can I think of anybody who might be good to include.....Well there's the Jesse Mogg/Dom Shipperley types who could offer some experience at that level and (at least in Mogg's case) some versatility to cover fullback if Folau should (shock horror) leave the field.

The Good
    Some players who have been c&$kblocked by some pedestrians are getting a look

The Bad
    Some real dogs have retained their positions, the Front Row looks like it needs some serious development in the next couple of years.

The Understandable
    Nobody in their right mind would make wholesale changes to the team in this situation. It makes sense for Cheika to take what's there, have a look at it all on tour with no pressure on him to win anything and make his plans based upon what comes out of the tour

Oh, another good, Kurtley Beale is not an automatic inclusion.

And another Bad, the ARU probably think that the whole sordid affair is behind them, but Cheika is only really the right man for the job because he successfully stared down similar issues at the Waratahs and made them win anyway. If he can't pull the same trick with the Wallabies, his three year contract won't last the distance either.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    What about Harris as fullback cover? hes good under the high ball, not the best in defence, but can sure put boot to ball, whats happened to him? And Morohan? Where did all the hype over his running game go?

Im totally despondent to our locks at present. For my money both Carter and Simmons are lazy bastards. Far too often last weekend yould see them in all the wrong places doing sweet fuck all.
    Im also sad to see Pek gone, but Slipper did play his boots of recently. So, I have no bitter ill feelings about it all. Agree on the Alexander call, hes not impressed recently, but is a stalwart of the front row club...

vCash
    We'll done to all the WF rep's! I'm sure you will do everyone proud if you manage to get game time!

*Footnote: Thank you coach for assisting with change of my Avatar!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLE BOOG View Post
    I'm totally despondent to our locks at present. For my money both Carter and Simmons are lazy bastards. Far too often last weekend yould see them in all the wrong places doing sweet fuck all.
    Good to see Luke Jones getting a go.

I partially agree with your comments re our Locks and agree that they don't do enough. We need some new ones to step up.

Their stats against the ABs as follows:

Simmons
    Our most active player at the breakdown with 53 ruck engagements - 38 (72%) of them early (1st or 2nd)
    Strong supporter of our attacking rucks. (38 @72% - 6 more than 2nd place Hooper)
    5 runs for 1m gain is poor for such a big bloke (but he usually hands the ball over as he hits the ground)
    5 tackles with 2 missed - very poor.

Carter
    I prefer him to Simmons but he does have some brain snaps from time to time.
    Ruck engagements 34 with 29 (85% - tells me that he reads the game OK) early and strong support on our attacking rucks.
    7 runs for 14m and generally holds onto the ball.
    2nd most tackles at 11 (2 missed).
    Carter made some excellent contributions during the RC.

Horwill
    IMO not a very good effort for his 15 minutes.
    12 ruck engagements with 7 early (58%)
    5 runs for 5m and 3 tackles (1 missed) and gave away a telling penalty.

Higginbotham
    If you are talking about lazy, IMO Higgers had little impact on the game.
    59 minutes before replaced by Hodgo.
    35 ruck engagements with only 15 early (42%) - It's a long way back from out on the wing!!
    6 runs for 7m. (Wow!!)
    ONE (1) Tackle in 59 minutes!!! Against the ABs!!!
    This is from a guy who was screaming to be the run-on team.

Fardy
    39 ruck engagements with 27 early (69%) and strongly supporting attacking rucks.
    Some great turnovers and aggression at rucks (But not as good as Fianga's cleanouts!!)
    11 runs for 31m - the best forward behind Hooper (16 for 39m)
    3 tackles (NOT ENOUGH!)

And for interest....

Hodgo
    Had 21 minutes at No 8.
    24 ruck involvements with 19 early (79%) - About half those of Hooper (51 in 80 minutes @ a low 63%)
    Single run (but white wouldn't give him the ball - preferring Horwill) with zero gain. But in reality he's not a great ball-runner.
    5 tackles with none missed (Hooper 9 with 1 missed in 80 minutes)
    Menacing at the breakdown demanding an extra AB on every occasion.
    Was obvious in applying his strength at scrum time.

Although not a Lock, Leali'ifano was a monster against the ABs.
    Equal 4th in ruck engagements with 35 and 28 early (80%) (27 of these supporting attacking rucks)
    7 runs for 14m and highest tackler for the Wallabies with 13 (zero missed)
    Not bad for a little bloke!!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by andrewg; 22-10-14 at 13:47.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    *Footnote: Thank you coach for assisting with change of my Avatar!
    How does one do that? Haven't been able to find it myself...

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    I think Alexander and Kepu particularly are lucky, and probably only get a seat on the plane because they are already in the squad and too much inexperience would be worse. Alexander is getting regularly towelled up in the scrums and Kepu does nothing around the park.... Our front row needs some new blood!
    I think you need to rewatch the last game and probably a few before that, Kepu has been very good. Him and Slipper would be 2 of the first picked on the team sheet. Having said I agree Alexander should be gone and would prefer Weeks, Alo Emile or Cowan.

Would have also liked to have seen Neville included in the second row.

And are you seriously suggesting you would prefer Shatz in the team over Hooper? I know lots of people have an issue with Hooper not taking pilfers but this is a bit of a stretch!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    I think you need to rewatch the last game and probably a few before that, Kepu has been very good. Him and Slipper would be 2 of the first picked on the team sheet. Having said I agree Alexander should be gone and would prefer Weeks, Alo Emile or Cowan.
    Totally agree. Kepu has been good. Not sure about Slipper's scrummaging abilities though. I think we'll get smashed in that area in europe with the team we are going to put on the park.

coz Stone Cold says so

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Flankers

Here's where my lack of interest in the Rebels might trip me up, McMahon is a flanker isn't he? that being said, ONLY 5????? with Higginbotham and Hooper in the list?????? we will be raped at the breakdown, because there will only be one Flanker sitting out of the squad in any game and we have two seagulls in this list. We either need to name more bodies here or ditch one of those two.

Who is in OZ to replace them....I'll look at who I know first, Gus is still getting fit AFAIK, but Chris Alcock would make a suitable replacement In Qld I'd chuck Schatz or Gill at them in preference to Hooper (OK I know it isn't going to happen, but it would be better) from NSW well there's Palu, but he's injured......we're not playing New Zealand or South Africa, so he'd play out of his skin. Canberra, is Fotu Auelua eligible, I'd have him in a heartbeat. I think we'll miss Fardy now that he's off the field!
    I think Luke Jones will be considered a backrower (blindside). I'd expect to see Higginbotham, Hooper and McCalman starting. But you never know with a new coach. Otherwise maybe Jones in for Higginbotham.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast