Thread: Hayne quits NRL for NFL dream

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Hayne quits NRL for NFL dream

AAP
    October 15, 2014, 9:27 am

Rugby league superstar Jarryd Hayne has dropped a bombshell by announcing he is quitting the code to pursue an NFL career in the United States.

The fullback has withdrawn from Australia's Four Nations squad, which was only announced on Tuesday, and has accepted a conditional release from his NRL contract with Parramatta.

Hayne only recently returned from a trip to Seattle where he looked over the set-up at the city's NFL champion Seahawks who are one third of the way into their season.

However he says he does not have a contract with the Seahawks or any other club and is about to start negotiations, aiming to join a training squad with the aim of breaking into the NFL next season.

He also says he's given up the chance to probably become the highest-paid player in the NRL to pursue a long-held dream.

And he's agreed to a deal with Parramatta so that, should he return, it will be to the Eels.

"I'm always telling people to chase their dreams and follow their hearts, if I don't live by that I'm not being honest with myself," Hayne told a packed media conference at Parramatta Leagues Club.

Hayne indicated he has actually stalled his move to the US by one season already.

"The reason I didn't make this decision any earlier was because of the part I played in getting (Eels coach) Brad (Arthur) to the club and the way we finished the season.

"I felt I owed the club one more year and I gave it everything I could.

"It's always been a dream of mine to play in the NFL, and at my age, this is my one and only chance at having a crack at playing there."

Describing it as the hardest decision of his life, Hayne added: "I'm excited about the potential opportunities that lie ahead. I've known the deadline has been looming for me to make this call, and I believe the right time is now.

"I'm so passionate about the challenge that lies ahead for me, not only as an athlete but more so as a person.

"It hasn't been an easy decision for me to leave the Eels, the club's been my home and family since I was 13.

"The hardest thing about leaving the club is there's stability for the first time in a long time, but I know where my heart lies and I'm following that.

"I'm leaving knowing that I have signed a lifetime agreement with the Eels, so if I return to the NRL, it will be to Parramatta."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...for-nfl-dream/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Just seen this. Disappointing for eels fans. Good luck to Hayne. If he can overcome his age, size, competition against draftees from college and free agents, gets a spot on the roster on a NFL team and performs to a standard where he can secure a position on the field on a regular basis where careers last on average 3 years then that would be a truly remarkable achievement.

Think we may see him back in the blue and gold though.

Last edited by Herbasimplex; 15-10-14 at 10:17.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Herbasimplex View Post

Think we may see him back in the blue and gold though.
    What.....he's coming to The Force

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Huge blow for the Eels and NSW, without Hayne NSW don't win Origin this year.

Good luck to him!

vCash
    Any idea what position he is looking at playing??

vCash
    If I had to guess I'd say Running back, Wide reciever, maybe Kick/punt return?

vCash
    He said that kick/punt returner would be a good place to start. If he progresses I imagine running back or maybe secondary would be best suited to him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Any idea what position he is looking at playing??
    The report I read said they thought he'd be too slow as a Wide Receiver, so Tight End.

However, I'd say too small for a Tight End (most are now 1.98 m and 115 kg - 6'6" and 250 lb in US) while Jarryd's 6'2" and 220 lb. For me, I'd say that makes him a safety. However, safeties have to know the game very well (they are often the defensive play-caller) and have typically spent their entire life playing the game, not trying to pick it up in a year or so. Tackling in the NFL is also different to rugby (either code, although league might be closer than union).

Returners are usually receivers (you need speed) although some are cornerbacks or half-backs (small running backs). I can't think of a safety being used regularly as a returner.

It's part of the problem of rugby players trying out for the NFL. Rugby conditions you to play 80 minutes with some stop-start, but a lot of continual action, and it's all most aerobic. A really good NFL player might play 50 snaps a game, each of which last ~5 seconds. NFL conditions a player to be explosive (a mate likened it to weight-lifting, which isn't a bad analogy). Many players won't breath during a snap; they work anaerobically. When you see a play going the length of the field (100 yds) the guys are often exhausted and need oxygen to recover+.

So I'll watch Jarryd's attempt with interest, but I'd be surprised if he can make the switch at 26, especially as he'll be competing with young, conditioned players straight out of college. As Herbasimplex said up-thread, there's a lot of hurdles to get through and probably a short career even if he does make it, but the rewards are worth it - he could probably earn more as a back-up in a year in the NFL than in 2-3 years as a star in the NRL.

[+ Actually, the big linemen are often better at this as they tend to be conditioned better for aerobic activity.]

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheikh View Post
    he could probably earn more as a back-up in a year in the NFL than in 2-3 years as a star in the NRL.
    While I do take into account the amount of dollars a player can earn in the NFL, I think you under estimating what Hayne already earns in the NRL.

vCash
    Yeah, I was thinking kick return would be about it. I figured he would be too small for most of the other roles (but wasn't that familiar with his physical characteristics) and there was always the lack of knowledge that can only be gained by playing.

As a squad backup he would still be looking at a sizeable pile of cash (by Oz sporting standards anyway).

He might be able to teach them something about tackling. NFL tackling technique is terrible.

Was watching 49ers/Rams last night and thinking that I should teach the kids how to punt....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Invictus View Post
    Was watching 49ers/Rams last night and thinking that I should teach the kids how to punt....
    Darren Bennett and Sav Rocca both made relatively successful careers out of punting following AFL careers, and Matt McBriar just by-passed the AFL completely. NFL returners hate Australian punters as they kick the ball differently (end-over-end rather than spiral) and the catch is different to what they're used to. It helped that Bennett, on his first punt, ran down the field and made the tackle - he wasn't aware the punter is supposed to stay back as the last line of defence, and as no-one was assigned to block him, he made an excellent, unblocked tackle!

Be aware that kickers and punters are relatively poorly paid, but then they only have to do one or two jobs somewhere between 1-10 times a week, so it's all relative.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Champion
    vCash
    From what I have seen the cheerleaders are pretty athletic too.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Good on him, he's achieved a great deal in the NRL, now he's following his dream

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Trust the Americans to take a perfectly good sport like rugby and say; "Hey, let's throw the ball forward!"

vCash
    If you want to read the story of a Rugby player who truly risked everyghing for a shot at NFL read Colin Scotts' biography "All Balls". It's a gripping read and a great insight into what Hayne is up against.
    Scotts was a schoolboys captain in a team that included names like Lynagh, Papworth, Lillicrap and Tuynman. He gave up a probably long Wallaby career.
    Hayne has achieved just about all Mungo has to offer and will easily return if he doesn't get a contract. But I wish him all good in his journey.