Thread: Flexible Japanese winning Super Rugby's race

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Flexible Japanese winning Super Rugby's race

DUNCAN JOHNSTONE
    Last updated 14:09 12/09/2014

Japan are apparently winning the race to be the Asian entry into the expanded Super Rugby championship because of a flexible scheduling plan that includes hosting matches in Singapore, home of their rival bidder.

Japan and Singapore are locked in a two-country race to be the 18th team, joining the Southern Kings from South Africa and an Argentina side for the 2016 expansion.

Both Japan and Singapore were told to go back to the drawing board and make adjustments after Super Rugby's ruling body Sanzar were left unimpressed with their original bids.

Singapore, touted to have a team coached by All Blacks great Tana Umaga, emerged as the early favourite among South African interests because the city provides considerable less travel considering they will play in the African conference.

But Japan, with far more rugby history and infrastructure, have responded with a cunning plan to take their games around Asia, including Singapore.

"What we would like to think is if we do become the team, we become the team that represents Asian rugby, so there are a lot of opportunities to play games within Asia, which obviously cuts down the travel," Japan coach Eddie Jones told the Daily Telegraph.

"There are always other places to play games. There is no reason why we have to play every game in Japan.

"So that's a possible solution, to go a little bit closer and decrease the travel for teams coming to Japan. That's a possibility.

"We could potentially play in Singapore and Hong Kong, they're all opportunities. I am sure from South Africa you can get a direct flight to Hong Kong."

Sanzar could make their decision by the end of the month.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/s...er-Rugbys-race

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    I can't get my head round this "East Asian team in the South African conference" idea

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chibi View Post
    I can't get my head round this "East Asian team in the South African conference" idea
    So do you cope ok with the Argentine team playing in the African conference any better?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    So do you cope ok with the Argentine team playing in the African conference any better?
    Nope

Last edited by chibi; 14-09-14 at 00:25.

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    This idea is just plain awful

vCash
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one! If anything Asia joins us and Argies join NZ. Let SA have six teams.
    I think it's going to be a great cluster f@rk and is going to totaly ruin Super Rugby.

May the FORCE be with you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one! If anything Asia joins us and Argies join NZ. Let SA have six teams.
    I think it's going to be a great cluster f@rk and is going to totaly ruin Super Rugby.
    That would make more sense to me - basically the current system with an extra team in each conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    That would make more sense to me - basically the current system with an extra team in each conference.
    It'll never happen, I suggested it six months agon and was universally acknowledged as speaking with common sense......let's not forget, we have the wild self-interest of New Zealand and the schizophrenic insanity of SARU involved in this decision.....if it isn't likely to help give NSW a leg up it won't get a single vote at the SANZAR board.

C'mon the

vCash
    I don't think NZ would want the Argies because they don't like to travel. That was one of the main reasons for the initial veto of WA's entry into Super Rugby in 2002 and also their support for Melbourne over Perth in 2005.

In all honesty, I'm not really for having an Argentinian Super Rugby team; but I think instead, all Super Rugby squads across all three countries should be given a dispensation allowing Argentina players with no restrictions, seeing as they are a SANZA(A)R Rugby Championship test team and most of the higher paid Pumas play in Europe anyway.

Therefore, bring on Tomás Cubelli and Lucas González Amorosino for the Force!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by chibi; 14-09-14 at 14:17.