Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: PERTH SPIRIT READY FOR MELBOURNE RISING

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    To be fair, the Rebels were wooden spooners. They need to develop their Super Rugby team. The Force narrowly missed out on finals. The depth and experience of our EPS/WTS was a factor in not making it. Our priority is to develop the depth of the WTS and to speed up the development of future Force players (not necessarily for 2015). Harry Scoble, Richard Hardwick, Luke Burton and Brad Lacey are all young fellas who will likely play for the Force in the future. Not to mention a handful of similar players on the bench. Why not speed that up? It is also great to see Justin Turner getting up to speed and stringing games together. He had so much potential before his injury woes.
    It's good for Heiberg, Walton and Stander (who are signed for the Force but didn't play a lot in 2014- well maybe not Stander) to get a bit more experience.

Also how dark would we be if one of our Super stars gets a 6-12 month injury in an NRC game?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    To be fair, the Rebels were wooden spooners. They need to develop their Super Rugby team. The Force narrowly missed out on finals. The depth and experience of our EPS/WTS was a factor in not making it. Our priority is to develop the depth of the WTS and to speed up the development of future Force players (not necessarily for 2015). Harry Scoble, Richard Hardwick, Luke Burton and Brad Lacey are all young fellas who will likely play for the Force in the future. Not to mention a handful of similar players on the bench. Why not speed that up? It is also great to see Justin Turner getting up to speed and stringing games together. He had so much potential before his injury woes.
    It's good for Heiberg, Walton and Stander (who are signed for the Force but didn't play a lot in 2014- well maybe not Stander) to get a bit more experience.
    Also how dark would we be if one of our Super stars gets a 6-12 month injury in an NRC game?
    Agree which is why the Rising stand is very short sighted

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wholetruth View Post
    Agree which is why the Rising stand is very short sighted
    Different goals for different sides in the competition. Like James said:

To be fair, the Rebels were wooden spooners. They need to develop their Super Rugby team.
    The side selected for next weeks game will tell the story for the Spirit.

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    Different goals for different sides in the competition. Like James said:
    The side selected for next weeks game will tell the story for the Spirit.
    Away to the Rays at Brookie. Force players don't fly in the NRC do they?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Our priority is to develop the depth of the WTS and to speed up the development of future Force players (not necessarily for 2015)....Also how dark would we be if one of our Super stars gets a 6-12 month injury in an NRC game?
    If you are cool with that logic, then I imagine you'd be equally cool with the ARU saying the same - "No need to help the Force, because our priority isn't that they realistically compete so long as they develop depth for the Wallabies. No Wallabies or top-ups either, 'cos we'd be well dark if one of them hurt themselves playing in meaningless development matches..."

Play in a comp and don't actually try to win it, you merely diminish its credibility. This thing only exists because Fox covers the cost, but I'd be surprised if they'll keep ponying up $1.5M a year for a comp that leaves out its best players and generally acts like a juniors comp where everyone gets a participation medal and no-one keeps score. I want the ITM Cup and all the pride and respect that goes with that. That will never happen if half the teams act like it isn't worth winning.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Look I'd prefer a system where we 50/50 it between Super players and development players, but I also value Super Rugby over the NRC. Super Rugby can exist without the NRC. The same can't be said in reverse.

Maybe we'll get a step closer to something more resembling the ITM cup next season.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Away to the Rays at Brookie. Force players don't fly in the NRC do they?
    I thought we had a home game next week, obviously that's wrong. (Also forgot last week was a "Home" game for the Spirit.)

Probably shows how much attention I've actually paid to the competition. I watched this first game on Fox Sports and went to the first Spirit home game but other then that I haven't paid much attention to it outside the Spirit games, and to be fair all that is involved there is looking the scores up online. Completely forgot they were on last night until about the 60th minute.

Last edited by jargan83; 12-09-14 at 21:12.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOB View Post
    Alison makes a very good point and I think Scozzie has said similar. A limit on the number of SR players would even things out. If we end up with one or two teams, filling there squad, like we did two weeks ago, with SR players the playing field will be biased and after a couple more weeks of large defeats supporters will drift away and so will the NRC.
    Let's hope that we aren't the only ones that are seeing it.
    So it comes down to how many you use. Obviously the Rising don't care about looking for too much new talent
    Let em go for it, it'll be the shortest term victory in the history of rugby. If they ignore talent identification and the provision of a pathway they'll have to spend more on players than the tahs.

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Unfortunately they won't, because they'll only be recruiting NRC players at entry level wages. And we'll be identifying far more talent than we could ever have space for. The math seems obvious...

It is something I wish they had looked at when setting the NRC up. For mine, the SR teams should be part of the funding model for the NRC, seeing as they are ultimately the end user for the players developed. Something along the lines of each contracted player costing the SR team $10k per year (say) , split among the NRC teams in proportion to the amount of time that player spent playing for each team. Then you'd have the situation where if an NRC team weren't developing players it would cost them funding, and if a SR team were constantly importing players from other states it would come out of their pocket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    This thing only exists because Fox covers the cost, but I'd be surprised if they'll keep ponying up $1.5M a year for a comp that leaves out its best players....
    Good point, maybe we'll see a little "selection assistance" by the sponsor of the ratings are deemed a little low.

Last edited by Ralto; 12-09-14 at 23:46. Reason: Bad Spellink

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    Good point, maybe we'll see a little "selection assistance" by the sponsor of the ratings are deemed a little low.
    And they won't blame the ratings on the shitty time slot?

C'mon the

vCash
    No NRC game has cracked the "most watched" list in the Foxtel ratings but when the highest rates show on a Thursday night only draws 86,000 viewers it's not too much.

20th usually comes in at the 35k mark on a Thursday night.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4