Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PERTH SPIRIT READY FOR MELBOURNE RISING

Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewg View Post

A more constructive discussion than where this thread had been heading.
    Point taken.....apologies.

Head hung in shame!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

PERTH SPIRIT FALLS TO RISING IN MELBOURNE

PERTH SPIRIT MEDIA RELEASE
    Thursday, 11 September 2014

Perth Spirit has been unable to break the Melbourne Rising’s undefeated run, falling to the Victorians 44-24 in Melbourne tonight.

No. 8 Alex Rovira backed up his solid performance against the Greater Sydney Rams last week with a high work-rate again tonight, with a high involvement, including scoring the Spirit’s first try of the match.

However, the Rising kicked into gear from there, scoring three consecutive tries before the half-time break for an 18-8 lead. Spirit winger, Brad Lacey touched down in the second half to get his side back within two points before the home side again pulled away with four successive tries to seal the match.
    Perth Spirit coach, David Wessels, said he was pleased with his team's endeavour against a side with plenty of Super Rugby experience.
    “There was a lot of effort from our men out there and we’re obviously disappointed with the result but we can’t fault their work-rate today,” Wessels. “The guys went out there with the mindset to put things right after the performance against the Rams and the way they have approached this whole week has been excellent.

“They went in there with real intent and I think, as a group to have scored the last points of the game with a try that involved all 15 players was a representation of how hard everyone has worked.

“We had a relatively inexperienced side out there tonight and one of our objectives of this competition is to grow our playing base in Perth and expose some of our young and upcoming players to the Super Rugby environment so tonight’s match was perfect for that.

“Those players didn’t let themselves down tonight. I think tactically, when we review the game, we may feel that we may have made some decisions differently at points in the match which potentially allowed a more experienced Rising side to get on top of us and enjoy the momentum for a period.

“Those things are easy to address in a week and their performance on the back of the Rams game was certainly noticeable and as a group we are already talking about moving forward and working hard over the coming days to put in a good performance next week.”

The Spirit was first across the line when 14 phases of patient rugby resulted in a WA scrum five metres from the line. Spirit No. 8, Rovira took advantage of the penalty from the scrum, taking the quick tap and diving over under the posts. Australian Under 20 and Western Force inside centre, Luke Burton, added the extras to give the Spirit the 8-0 lead.

Ten minutes later the Rising evened up the scores with their own try off the back of a penalty with Lopeti Timani darting through a gap and Jack Debreczeni slotting the conversion.

The Rising took the 13-8 lead not long after when they spread it wide with an overlap sending Telusa Veainu over in the corner for his first of two for the match.

With momentum well and truly in the home side’s favour, Melbourne Rebel Jack Debreczeni grubbered the ball in behind the Spirit defence and, while Dillyn Leyds scrambled to get his hands on it, was judged to have Joe Kamana beaten him to it to put the Rising ahead, 18-8.
    The half-time siren sounded but the Rising weren’t done yet, sending it back downfield and looked to have their fourth of the match only to have Sean McMahon denied by a well-timed tackle from Palmyra prop Joe Savage with the ball lost before grounding.

In the second half, a well-placed, awkward bouncing long range box kick from scrumhalf Justin Turner was popped up for Lacey to sprint away from the chasing defence. Burton’s conversion saw the visitors back within just two points, 18-16.

The gap wasn’t close for long as Timani crossed for his second when a penalty scrum to the Rising was rolled towards the line with the No. 8 dotting it over the line. Veainu kicked the conversion to put them ahead 23-16.

This started another consecutive run of tries for the Rising with Cadeyrn Neville, Veainu and Luke Burgess all crossing to give them a 44-16 lead.

Despite the clock counting down, the Perth side remained determined to finish on a high with flyhalf Zack Holmes skirting around the defence and to cross for the final try of the evening. He kicked the conversion and the game was over, the Rising running out 44-24 victors.

The Spirit will next take on the North Harbour Rays in Sydney on Saturday, 20 September.

Melbourne Rising 44 (Lopeti Timani 2, Telusa Veaini 2; Cadeyrn Neville, Luke Burgess, Joe Kamana tries; Jack Debreczeni 2 conversions, Telusa Veainu conversion) defeated Perth Spirit 24 (Alex Rovira, Zack Holmes, Brad Lacey tries; Zack Holmes 2 conversions, Luke Burton conversion)

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Someone asked the question somewhere on site in the past few days (apologies for not remembering who) but how many actual Force positions are available? There isn't much point blooding players for Super Rugby when there is no contract waiting for them at the end of the NRC.

vCash
    So is Dillyn Leyds leaving? If so why is he given so much time on the Spirit team? Would hate to see him going he's been a real standout so far, but if leaving give the spot to the next guy itching for a go. With all the discussions so far it seems the answer is going to be like everything else in life - finding a balance between mixing up the undeveloped club players with more experienced SR guys so they can learn. They have the chance to grow and SR players keep their skills sharp. I reckon a fee of the guys looked a bit lost sometimes with the Rebels attack & didn't have the nous to position properly. Also was a bit peed off when Mitch mentioned the game plan to run around the corners, but the Spirit obviously didn't adjust their game plan to shut down the wings!

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valzc View Post
    So is Dillyn Leyds leaving?
    Yes, I believe so. Alby made comment last night during the game about "missing him next year" which has been removed, I don't think we were supposed to know just yet!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Yes, I believe so. Alby made comment last night during the game about "missing him next year" which has been removed, I don't think we were supposed to know just yet!
    There was a story in The West about a week ago saying he was going back to W. Province but I can't find it. Sorry to see him go but I agree that if he's off why keep playing him.

vCash
    I think there is a confusion going around as to whether to treat this competition as the Australian Rugby Championship or the Australian Rugby Shield.

To rugby people, with all these selection issues, and to the mainstream, with it's shoddy youtube presentation, either way, it's coming across as a Mickey Mouse competition.

(Geez, it's all doom'n'gloom from me at the moment)

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

vCash
    http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/09/12...tralian-rugby/

A useful contribution from Scott Allen at The Roar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    Heath did the same TIF - said he was going for personal reasons. Then he said they were trying their best to hang on to him! Agree that I don't think we were not supposed to know! I asked when RWA thought they were going to let the poor old punter know he was going!

Champion
    vCash
    Here is what I was looking for. Doesn't seem to much of a secret

Spirit call up quartet for Rams
    Nick Taylor The West Australian
    September 4, 2014, 10:21 am

Spirit call up quartet for Rams Four players will make their Perth Spirit starting debut in the round three National Rugby Championship clash with Greater Sydney Rams at Adelaide Airport Stadium on Saturday.

Australian under-20 winger Brad Lacey will make his first appearance while hooker Robbie Abel, second row Kieran Stringer, and scrum-half Ian Prior, who will captain the side, have been elevated from the reserves bench.

Dillyn Leyds, who returns to Western Province at the end of the season, has been picked at full-back.

Player
    vCash
    After all the carry on about how the SA upper level coaches are coaching the rugby out of the players, this seems a sad move.
    Dillyn, clearly has immense talent, and for that to be coached out of him - will be a loss to rugby all round.
    It's crazy good seeing South African players getting over here and their game improves to an even higher level.

Last edited by G_Beard; 12-09-14 at 12:17.

vCash
    It looks like there needs to be a cap on the number of S15 players in each game-day squad, and the Spirit needs to have a bit of consistency in it's selection.

Planty of hire-scoring games though...! Pity we were on the wrong side of this one.......which probably had a lot to do with my previous statement...?

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alison View Post
    What we appear to have is one team intent on winning the comp by stacking their side with S15 grade players (Rising) and others who are using the comp as a bridge between club rugby and S15 rugby by picking the best players from club rugby and mixing them with a few S15 grade players.

I don't know what the original intent of the comp was supposed to be, but I think the Spirit have taken the right approach. What's the point of setting up a 3rd tier comp and filling it with mainly 2nd tier players? In my view the 3rd tier should be a feeder to the S15 comp, not a training run for it. That said, there does need to be some S15 grade players in there to set the bar for the club players to reach for.
    Alison makes a very good point and I think Scozzie has said similar. A limit on the number of SR players would even things out. If we end up with one or two teams, filling there squad, like we did two weeks ago, with SR players the playing field will be biased and after a couple more weeks of large defeats supporters will drift away and so will the NRC.
    Let's hope that we aren't the only ones that are seeing it.

May the FORCE be with you!

Champion
    vCash
    There is a cap of, I think, about 16 contracted Super Players but I can't see who or how it is being enforced.
    I'll see if I can find out more

Champion
    vCash
    Interesting. From the ARU website: "There will be a quota on the number of Super Rugby players in each of the nine teams"
    Of course, being the ARU they don't say what that quota is, a bit like them committing to the salary caps for Tahs and Reds.
    More from the ARU: Half of squad Super Rugby players, other half local talent.
    So it comes down to how many you use. Obviously the Rising don't care about looking for too much new talent

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by wholetruth; 12-09-14 at 17:55.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast