Thread: Honey Badger Racing

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash

Honey Badger Racing

West Australian Formula 1 Driver Daniel Ricciardo has a new Helmet design.

Also - on the Channel 10 Coverage of the Formula 1 Grand Prix from Monza Italy last Sunday night - they referred to Ricciardo as "The Honey Badger"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    That reference has been going for a few races now

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Cummins, Ricciardo, Mathieu, Patrick: Will the real Honey Badger please stand up...

News Corp Australia
    September 10, 2014 2:21PM

AUSTRALIAN rugby league star Nick Cummins is no longer the most famous Honey Badger in the world, with athletes from many sports laying claim to the naming rights for the fiesty little beast.

So who is the real Honey Badger?

NICK CUMMINS — RUGBY

Our homegrown Honey Badger won a legion of fans with his collection of humourous interview responses during his career at the Western Force, and took on the Honey Badger moniker after drawing inspiration from the little animal’s fierce nature.

Cummins claimed he modelled his defensive game on the honey badger’s dogged determination and refusal to back down from a fight.

“One of the stories which inspired me is that it is documented that a honey badger killed a male lion in a one-on-one battle,” Cummins said in 2012.

“What happened was that he clawed the canastas off the big fella, going the old one-two. The big fella walked around the corner and fell over. The honey badger got up, shook himself, and just trotted off. For me, that was outstanding.”

TYRANN MATHIEU — NFL

Mathieu can lay claim to making the Honey Badger mainstream, with his use of the name going all the way back to his college football days at LSU.

Back in 2011 he drew plenty of attention and was a favourite among commentators after they got hold of the name, with the cornerback and free safety belying his small size by playing a style of game well above his weight division.

Now playing for the Arizona Cardinals, Mathieu is bringing the nickname back and hopes it’ll deliver him to good fortune.

“So going forward, if I’m able to make the right decisions, able to be that role model for the kids, I think the ‘Honey Badger’ can be a pretty positive person,” he said in a recent interview.

DANIEL RICCIARDO — F1

Space on a Formula 1 driver’s helmet is prime property, and our boy Ricciardo has dedicated a small section of his to a picture of a Honey Badger.

While he’s not asking anyone to give him the nickname, Ricciardo is the only athlete to have made the Honey Badger a part of his uniform

In an interview earlier this year, Ricciardo said he put picture on his helmet (at the back, near the bottom) because the animal summed up his driving style perfectly.

“It’s supposed to be the most fearless animal in the animal kingdom. When you look at it, he seems quite cute and cuddly, but as soon as someone crosses his territory in a way he doesn’t like, he turns into a bit of a savage and he’ll go after anything — tigers, pythons — he turns very quickly, but he’s a good guy,” Ricciardo said.

Based on his results this year, our little African friend is clearly doing its job.

DANICA PATRICK — NASCA

NASCAR’s only female driver was an early Honey Badger adopter after watching the amusing YouTube clip that shot the snake-killing creature to worldwide fame.

Patrick said she was channelling the honey badger ahead of the 2012 season.

“Last year, I think, somebody showed me this video of the honey badger, and the commentator on it was very, very funny,” Patrick said.

“Anyway, the honey badger, he doesn’t give a cr*p, he takes what he wants. And that’s how I’m going to be this year, like a honey badger.”

GENEVIEVE MEDRANO — ROLLER DERBY

Roller derby isn’t a sport that gets a lot of airplay in these parts, but Medrano may be the very first Honey Badger, so she deserves a mention.

Medrano said that, surprisingly, she earned the honey badger calling card because there weren’t many other animals left, and that she took it on before the infamous YouTube clip surfaced.

“It took me a year to get a name because all the ones I picked kept on getting rejected,” she said, as derby authorities need to approve each nickname and it must be unique.

“(My boyfriend’s mother) suggested honey badger and told me how it’s the most vicious animal in the animal kingdom and I looked it up and thought, ‘Ewww, this animal is gross. I don’t want to look like that’.”

But she soon warmed to it, and it stuck.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/what-the...-1227054066869

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post
    AUSTRALIAN rugby league star Nick Cummins
    Oh FFS Newscorp...

vCash
    My thoughts exactly!!

vCash
    Apart from the uselessness of the reporting, Cummins was the earliest of the bunch as far as I know.

http://twf.com.au/showthread.php?t=28493

Last edited by zimeric; 10-09-14 at 20:26.