Thread: Wallabies rush back Polota-Nau

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

Wallabies rush back Polota-Nau

AAP
    By Jim Morton
    September 8, 2014, 6:30 pm

Injury-plagued hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau is set for a shock Wallabies starting return to quell an improved Argentinian outfit closing in on a maiden Rugby Championship victory.

Polota-Nau, without a game for six weeks, will Tuesday be named as one of three changes to Australia's line-up for Saturday night's clash on the Gold Coast.

While coach Ewen McKenzie is poised to promote winger Peter Betham and back-rower Ben McCalman, to replace injured stalwarts Adam Ashley-Cooper and Wycliff Palu, he could have easily eased Polota-Nau back on the bench.

Fourth-string hooker James Hanson produced a commendable display in his first run-on Test start in the 24-23 win over South Africa in Perth to deserve another shot at the No.2 jersey.

But McKenzie is taking no chances against a Pumas pack that has roughed up both the Springboks and All Blacks forwards in their three losses to date.

Argentina's scrum outmuscled South Africa in their two tight defeats before having the better of New Zealand for many of their set-pieces in the 28-9 loss in Napier on Saturday.

The scoreline didn't do the Pumas, led by inspirational hooker Agustin Creevy, justice and Polota-Nau's scrummaging power is required to take the expected assault head-on.

Match fitness will be a concern as the NSW rake's last match was in the Super Rugby final when he strained his medial ligament midway through the Waratahs' last-gap win over the Crusaders.

On the basis of training formations at Bond University on Monday afternoon, McCalman appears set to beat Scott Higginbotham to the No.8 role left vacant by a head knock to Palu.

Higginbotham was impressive off the bench in Perth, but it seems McKenzie prefers to use his X-factor late in games.

With Henry Speight still nursing a hamstring problem, Waratahs winger Betham gets a chance of a second run-on Test with vice-captain Ashley-Cooper to miss a week with an ongoing neck problem.

The 97-Test back has been managing a nerve compression injury to his neck which was exacerbated against the Springboks.

"It's disappointing to lose two experienced members of our squad ahead of what is an extremely important game against Argentina," McKenzie said.

"However, this year we've taken a proactive approach to making early decisions around guys carrying injuries, which is the case here."

Argentina gave Australia a major fright last year in Perth, losing 14-13 in the rain, before imploding in the return match in Rosario, where Israel Folau scored a hat-trick in a 54-17 thrashing.

Lock Rob Simmons said the key was nullifying the Pumas pack.

"It's a big challenge for us as a tight-five but we handled it pretty well last year," Simmons said.

"If we can get the scrum right we can get good go-forward for the rest of the game.

"They're definitely improving and it's only a matter of time (before they win). We don't want to be that team (they beat)."

Wallabies likely team: Israel Folau, Peter Betham, Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Toomua, Rob Horne, Bernard Foley, Nick Phipps, Ben McCalman, Michael Hooper (c), Scott Fardy, Rob Simmons, Sam Carter, Sekope Kepu, Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sp...ck-polota-nau/

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    No, Rob Simmons - I would say the key is YOUR discipline!!! You need to deactivate that damn penalty magnet of yours!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Official team

Wallabies side v Argentina: Israel Folau, Peter Betham,
    Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Toomua, Rob Horne, Bernard Foley, Nick Phipps, Ben
    McCalman, Michael Hooper (c), Scott Fardy, Sam Carter, Rob Simmons, Sekope
    Kepu, Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper. Reserves: James Hanson, Pek Cowan, Ben
    Alexander, James Horwill, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, Nic White, Kurtley
    Beale.

vCash
    Wallabies team: Israel Folau, Peter Betham, Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Toomua, Rob Horne, Bernard Foley, Nick Phipps, Ben McCalman, Michael Hooper (c), Scott Fardy, Rob Simmons, Sam Carter, Sekope Kepu, Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper. Bench: James Hanson, Pek Cowan, Ben Alexander, James Horwill, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, Nic White, Kurtley Beale.

Veteran
    vCash
    I went and watched the replay from when Hodgson came on, to see what sort of impact he had (i was at the match, so couldn't see anything).

He did quite well didn't he. Hit every ruck, got a pilfer, unfortunately got done for holding, but that was as he had no support. Over-all - he definitely deserves his spot on the bench.

Pek also seemed to be involved in everything, go the force boys!

vCash
    Well done on selection Benny Mac

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    At long last, the Force boys get a run.

Would have been nice if this had been the team for Subi from a Force point of view.

Stocked for Benny mac, Pek, and even more stoked captain Courageous gets another chance to put another marker down.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    News Flash

Gastro running through (pun intended) camp Wallabies. Apparently picked up in Perth form "pub catering".

Should have gone to instead

James Slipper affected with a few others and may give Pek the starting spot!!

Large box of Gravox urgently required in Gold Coast, it won't fix the problem but it will thicken it up

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Nice one Suze ;-)

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The InnFORCEr View Post

Large box of Gravox urgently required in Gold Coast, it won't fix the problem but it will thicken it up
    hehehe- now that there is funny

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco