Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallabies vs South Africa - Perth, September 6th

vCash

Wallabies vs South Africa - Perth, September 6th

RISING Western Force star Kyle Godwin will get the chance to make a Test debut in his home town after being named in a 30-man Wallabies’ squad to meet the Springboks in Perth next week.

Godwin and hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau have been included in the Australian squad by coach Ewen McKenzie as replacements for Pat McCabe and Nathan Charles, who were both injured against the All Blacks in Auckland.

Both were serious complaints, with McCabe having announced his retirement and Charles set to miss the remainder of the 2014 season after suffering a pectoral tear.

The depth of hooker remains troubling and despite the fact Polota-Nau won’t be considered for selection against South Africa on Saturday week, his probable return from a knee injury against Argentina a week later will be welcome news.

James Hanson and Saia Faingaa set to fill the hooker roles against the Boks, and Force no.2 Heath Tessman to train with the squad as a back-up.

After several false-starts on the Wallaby front Godwin has been drafted in as a centre, filling the gap left by McCabe.

Godwin, 22, would have won Wallaby call-ups for last year’s Spring Tour and this year’s June Test series but was rubbed out of calculations due to untimely shoulder and knee injuries respectively.

“Kyle is someone who has been on the national radar for some time, but unfortunately hasn’t had much of an opportunity to join the Wallabies environment due to injury,” McKenzie said in a statement.

“He now gets his chance to join the squad, and we’ll look forward to learning more about him.”

The Zimbabwe-born centre will potentially compete with Christian Lealiifano and Peter Betham for a bench role.

Experienced lock James Horwill also returned to the squad after missing out for the Bledisloe series, and will be considered as an option to add some starch to the Wallabies pack against the Boks.

Wallabies squad

PROP: Ben Alexander, Pek Cowan, Sekope Kepu, James Slipper

HOOKER: Saia Fainga’a, James Hanson, Tatafu Polota-Nau

LOCK: Sam Carter, James Horwill, Rob Simmons, Will Skelton

BACKROW: Scott Fardy, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, Michael Hooper (c), Ben McCalman, Wycliff Palu

SCRUMHALF: Luke Burgess, Nick Phipps, Nic White

FLYHALF: Kurtley Beale, Bernard Foley

CENTRE: Kyle Godwin, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Leali’ifano, Matt Toomua

BACK-THREE: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Peter Betham, Israel Folau

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1227038651002

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    RISING Western Force star Kyle Godwin will get the chance to make a Test debut in his home town after being named in a 30-man Wallabies’ squad to meet the Springboks in Perth next week.

Godwin and hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau have been included in the Australian squad by coach Ewen McKenzie as replacements for Pat McCabe and Nathan Charles, who were both injured against the All Blacks in Auckland.

Both were serious complaints, with McCabe having announced his retirement and Charles set to miss the remainder of the 2014 season after suffering a pectoral tear.

The depth of hooker remains troubling and despite the fact Polota-Nau won’t be considered for selection against South Africa on Saturday week, his probable return from a knee injury against Argentina a week later will be welcome news.

James Hanson and Saia Faingaa set to fill the hooker roles against the Boks, and Force no.2 Heath Tessman to train with the squad as a back-up.

After several false-starts on the Wallaby front Godwin has been drafted in as a centre, filling the gap left by McCabe.

Godwin, 22, would have won Wallaby call-ups for last year’s Spring Tour and this year’s June Test series but was rubbed out of calculations due to untimely shoulder and knee injuries respectively.

“Kyle is someone who has been on the national radar for some time, but unfortunately hasn’t had much of an opportunity to join the Wallabies environment due to injury,” McKenzie said in a statement.

“He now gets his chance to join the squad, and we’ll look forward to learning more about him.”

The Zimbabwe-born centre will potentially compete with Christian Lealiifano and Peter Betham for a bench role.

Experienced lock James Horwill also returned to the squad after missing out for the Bledisloe series, and will be considered as an option to add some starch to the Wallabies pack against the Boks.

Wallabies squad

PROP: Ben Alexander, Pek Cowan, Sekope Kepu, James Slipper

HOOKER: Saia Fainga’a, James Hanson, Tatafu Polota-Nau

LOCK: Sam Carter, James Horwill, Rob Simmons, Will Skelton

BACKROW: Scott Fardy, Scott Higginbotham, Matt Hodgson, Michael Hooper (c), Ben McCalman, Wycliff Palu

SCRUMHALF: Luke Burgess, Nick Phipps, Nic White

FLYHALF: Kurtley Beale, Bernard Foley

CENTRE: Kyle Godwin, Tevita Kuridrani, Christian Leali’ifano, Matt Toomua

BACK-THREE: Adam Ashley-Cooper, Peter Betham, Israel Folau

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1227038651002

Wow, it is all happening! Good news for Kyle and Heath but bad news for Charles.

I really wasn't expecting Kyle to be brought straight in from injury. I don't think he will play but obviously Ewen rates him very highly.

Senior Player
    vCash
    I just read that Tet Faulkner will be training with the squad as well. Good stuff!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Gotta feel for Charles. I thought he really put in the hard yards in the first test against the All Blacks and thought he was really showing he's got the goods to make himself a regular. Congrats to Kyle. I was not planning on going to this game (despise Subi for watching rugby now that I have been spoilt by NIB)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Tessman is a genuine fallback, but the others are just the best available local training bodies to save the ARU some flight costs. Still a fantastic learning opportunity though, no question.

vCash
    I don't think Godwin will play but some time in the squad can only be good for him. Good to see him in the mix!

vCash
    Get 'em on the field! I need to go buy my ticket for this.

Japan and the Pacific Islands for Aussie Super 9's!

Let's have one of these in WA! Click this link: Saitama Super Arena - New Perth Stadium?

Veteran
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Tessman is a genuine fallback, but the others are just the best available local training bodies to save the ARU some flight costs. Still a fantastic learning opportunity though, no question.
    i read "Genuine fullback"... a few seconds of confusion there.

Legend Contributor
    vCash

Yeah, hell of a kick on the lad, shame the land speed is timed with a calendar...

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    tends to hook his kicks,though

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash

what have i started!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by palitu View Post
    i read "Genuine fullback"... a few seconds of confusion there.
    Me too Palitu!! Lol :-D

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Handy View Post
    I just read that Tet Faulkner will be training with the squad as well. Good stuff!
    He'll wonder what's going on - Force aren't interested, but gets a call to help out the Wallabies?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralto View Post
    He'll wonder what's going on - Force aren't interested, but gets a call to help out the Wallabies?
    Force aren't interested?

“Everyone knows whether it’s rugby, politics or whatever, front-rowers should rule the world, so to have a hooker at the helm makes sense,” Nathan Charles Western Force & Wallabies Hooker.

Player
    vCash
    Tets is contracted to end of 2015?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast